Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Which new Dometic units have soft start?

Last fall we had the AC unit on the 2017 19-footer replaced under warranty.

I'm trying to determine if this replacement unit has a soft start, as allegedly Dometic is now shipping air conditioners with soft starts as standard equipment, maybe, perhaps.

Does anyone know if the soft-start enhancement is for real and when it started to show up on units, and do all Dometic models come equipped or just some?

Our trailer has a 13,500-BTU air conditioner.

The new one looks slightly different from the original, but hard to say. Slightly lower, more aerodynamic, but maybe that's just my mind's eye playing games.

I did not get a serial number or any manual from the dealer who made the warranty replacement. That would help, I know, but not available.

I could, I assume, find a serial number somewhere if I got up on the roof and took the cover off the AC unit. I'm disinclined to do so.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #2

Fresno , CA

Interesting post. We are having a lithium upgrade at Toscano's RV in Los Banos and requested the Easy Start on both units on our 2017 International Serenity 30RB. The service writer told us that 2017 and newer AS already come with the Dometic Soft Start technology, and he wouldn't recommend adding an Easy Start. I'm trying to confirm now, which brought me to this posting.
JG6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG6092 View Post
Interesting post. We are having a lithium upgrade at Toscano's RV in Los Banos and requested the Easy Start on both units on our 2017 International Serenity 30RB. The service writer told us that 2017 and newer AS already come with the Dometic Soft Start technology, and he wouldn't recommend adding an Easy Start. I'm trying to confirm now, which brought me to this posting.

We have a 2019 it did not have a dometic soft start. We installed 2 easy starts this year and their thermostat.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Dometic AC units do not ship with the dometic smart start unit pre-installed. This is an aftermarket add-on.

You can choose from dometic or micro air or hyper engineering if you are looking to add one to your stock AC unit. Most airstream owners choose micro air based on observations on this forum.

Dometic Smart Start:

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...t-iii-_-215771

MicroAir Easy Start:

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners

Hyper Engineering Sure Start:

http://www.hypereng.com/single_phase.html

I have 2 MicroAir easy starts installed and they work as advertised. I do not have actual field experience with the dometic or hyper engineering units. The concepts are similar.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG6092;

The service writer is absolutely 100% incorrect / wrong.

I actually have the very same trailer - 2017 international serenity 30RB - and the stock dometic AC units only had traditional start capacitors installed.

Some people believe that a start capacitor performs a “soft start” function. To a certain degree that is true However a simple start capacitor has limited energy storage / ability to dramatically reduce amperage demand on startup. It really cannot be compared to a software controlled smart start device like those I cited in the previous post. (Btw - each of those devices actually have a start capacitor included in the housing - the difference being that current is carefully controlled by a processing board with embedded software)

I personally removed the $20 start capacitors in my 2017 and replaced with 2 MicroAir Easy start software-controlled soft start units in both the forward 15k unit and bedroom 13.5k unit.

They work as advertised and dramatically reduced amperage draw on startup.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote