Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
ThrftQueen

1971 27' Overlander
taos , New Mexico
Which cords and plugs for driveway living?

First post here on the Forum, so here goes...

I just bought a completely redone 'Stream ( no judgment! I had good reason ). =) It's parked on a friend's yard ( also, not a problem there, rules here in New Mexico are less stringent on that ).

The plug coming from the rear of the trailer is an L5-30 locking 30 amp male plug. I need to buy a 50' cord of some kind (two types of 30-amp ends I need to decide between) and an adapter to plug into the house's service. I'm not sure whether it's 15 or 20 amp, which I could check, but am hoping I can err on the lower side and use the regular (non-locking) 30 amp-to-15 amp adapter it came with.

What do you out there recommend I get in between the wall and the trailer? A regular 30-amp (non-locking) 50' cord and an adapter between trailer and cord? Or a compatible locking 30-amp cord and an adapter for 15-amp at the other end?

I know most RV parks/campsites use the regular 30-amp plug (right??), so for the future would it be better to have that on the end of the cord rather than the other, less common L5-30?

Thanks for whatever you can tell me!

jess
city-fied Overlander '71
thrftqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have Air conditioning 20 amp won't be enough. A 50 foot cord should be at least #8 wire. You can buy bulk cord and install the appropriate ends yourself. Good Luck!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Your AC will run on 20 amp,just don`t try to run anything else pulling high amperage.Do not try to run on 15,if the breaker doesn`t pop it will ruin your AC. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrftqueen View Post

What do you out there recommend I get in between the wall and the trailer? A regular 30-amp (non-locking) 50' cord and an adapter between trailer and cord? Or a compatible locking 30-amp cord and an adapter for 15-amp at the other end?

I know most RV parks/campsites use the regular 30-amp plug (right??), so for the future would it be better to have that on the end of the cord rather than the other, less common L5-30?
hi Jess,

power cords, imho, are clearly an instance where "bigger is better!".

I'd put the adapter between the cord and the supply, rather than the cord and the trailer.

I'd source a 30 amp cord with locking ends, and an adapter for the supply end, since pre made cords and adapters tend to be more weatherproof than making them up yourself. make sure that the entire 'cord assembly' is rated for 30 amp - don't rely just on the gauge of the wire.

for driveway use @ home with a/c, install a matching 30 amp supply service and outlet.

if using NO a/c @ home you can use an adapter for a 15 or 20 amp outlet.

you might be able to use the a/c with a 20 amp adapter, but I'd be out there with a meter checking voltage, current, and inrush current to make sure I wasn't going to toast the a/c unit.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general nobody uses the L5-30 connector except between the trailer and the cord. Campgrounds have the TT-30 straight-blade, non-twist, crowfoot connector.

There are TT-30 type extention cords with 10 AWG wire available from many sources.

The 15A and 20A connectors have the same inherent current-carrying capacity. The only difference is that the 20A plug has a sideways blade so it won't fit in a 15A receptacle.

The ideal solution would be to have a properly installed TT-30 receptacle at your friend's place, wired to a 30A breaker with #10 or larger wire.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Camping World has the extra heavy duty 10 gauge extension cords ( looked at one yesterday). They have normal 30 amp trailer connectors on both ends.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
ThrftQueen

1971 27' Overlander
taos , New Mexico
Thanks to everyone for your help! Didn't expect such quick replies; great initiation into the Airstream world. I think I will go with a locking #10 cord for home and get a pigtail adapter for future camping.

And, for all who are concerned, I don't plan to use a/c. Just fans - nice mountain breezes here in the southern Rockies. =)
thrftqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

« diagrams | Top | 12v Wiring »