Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Where can I buy 30 amp plugs?

I wasn't sure where to post this...
I need to make an extension cord so I can park my A/S at my favorite spot and still reach over to the power panel.
And while I'm at it I was going to install a 30 amp. breaker and receptacle just for the A/S.
So I went to our local electrical supply place today (Viking Electric) and bought the breaker, receptacle, a watertight box and snap cover.
But nowhere I went has the standard RV type 30 amp plugs (male and female) to make the extension cord.
I have a near new 10 ga. extension cord that I was going to just cut the ends off and reuse.
I went to Home Depot. No luck.
Went to an RV center and all they sell is a short pigtail with the molded plugs. I asked the guy what other folks do and he said they just end splice the pigtail onto their cord and tape it up real good.
Gag, cough, snort!!
No Way!
I could buy a 50' premade cord for $80 but I need about 90 feet in all.
Does anyone have a lead on the right kind of male and female 30 amp. plugs that I need?
I like to do things right and don't mind spending the dough to do it. I know they're out there somewhere...
TIA
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jerry,

Get a waterproof box and a standard single gang RV outlet. Then you can mount it in the box, and plug in without being concened regarding safety. The snap closed cover is a good idea as well. If you want to be sure to maintain orientation on the box you could screw a metal tent stake to the back and stake it out.

The male plug is available at my local HD, but diffrent locations stock diffrent stuff. Have you tried your local RV place for the Male end?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where can I buy 30 amp plugs?

Greetings Jerry!

You aren't to far from Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA; and the last time I was there they had the 30 AMP cable ends that you mention available in their accessory and parts store. I don't know if they are listed in their on-line catalog, but Florence or Kristy in the parts department could surely link you up with the necessary parts. You can find their web site at:

Ace Fogdall RV - - Service and Parts

I have usually gotten any parts that I have ordered from them within 72 hours for in-stock parts - - I believe that they usually use UPS to ship customer orders.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

You might want to watch out for voltage drop. I can't remember the formula to figure this out but they would be able to help you out at the electrical distributer. The cord you want to use is S.O I believe it is a rubberized cord that is used to temp in pannels when doing new construction and is available in a wide varriety of gages. Hope this helps.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:56 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
rethink

ultradog

you may want to rethink your setup.

instead of using a long extention cord move the outlet closer to the trailer and install a pedistal mounted outlet.

you can calculate your wire size here....

http://www.pljohnson.com/electrical/...voltdrop.shtml

it may seem like overkill, but it calculates 3% voltage drop. safe for your airconditioner!

plugs can be found at home depot or menards, male only. you would need to make a box as brett described.

off the top of my head the correct cable (type s.o.) will run around 2/2.50 bucks a foot, in the long run you might do better by moving the plug to the trailer.

john
Old 10-14-2003, 06:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
If you have a home depot or lowes in your area you can get it all there. I got 125' of 6/3 for $95 to wire up my plug for my a/s but its not extention cord wire. You can get heavy guage extention cord wire there as well, I did this for my welding machine, i beleive it is 8/3 and yellow.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Ultradog,

we're doing a similar thing.
We found almost all we needed at the home depot except for the plugs. Got those at "Boat US". Any boat store carries them and they're waterproof. They also carry cable and all the rest we needed, but the home depot was cheaper.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hey Jerry, I work at Lowes, and I know we have them, we also have an adapter. It is a female 30 to a regular home outlet, I think it cost around $6.

Hope this helps
Jesse
vegas73globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #9
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Hmmm...

Thanks for the advice.
But...
This is a old thread. From back in July.
I did find those plugs. Both male and female at an RV place in Cottage Grove.
And I found the female outlet at Viking Electric.
They call it a "Crows Foot".
I did build a 100' 10 ga. extension cord so that I cauld have my AS parked under it's favorite old Maple tree. I'm not worried about overloading my extension cord as long as I don't run the AC (which is hardly ever).

Interestingly enough MN electrical code only allows you to have a 25' pigtail on a travel trailer or RV. You aren't allowed to use an extension cord at all.
What they want to see is an underground line to a post then up to a disconnect and weathertight outlet. You my also go overhead to a pole and then down to a disconnect and outlet.
The post or pole must be reachable with the trailer's 25' pigtail when it's parked.
Of course if they're looking for me to comply with that bit of overkill all I can say is:
Keeeep Looooking...

Actually I might do it if I run the AC next summer as I think 30 amps on a 100' 12 ga. cord is a bit too much.
Thanks again for the help though folks.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote