Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
HighPlainsDrifters

2019 27' Globetrotter
Casper , Wyoming
What type portable generator

We are new to ‘Streaming. Purchased a 2018 Flying Cloud w / 2 AC units. 50 amp unit.
Question: What size and type portable electrical generator does the AC community suggest purchasing for boondocking?

2Highplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Depends on YOUR needs.

Many have 2-Honda 2k units.
Many also have 3k units or bigger. Weight is an issue for many.

I went with one 3k Yamaha unit. I did not want to care for 2 units and when I need A/C (one a/c unit at a time on gen) I also did not want to connect the 2nd unit.
All personal preference.

My advice is stick with the known quiet Inverter brands.

Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We originally had two Honda 2000s that we used to run our 25FBs. We recently switched over to a Honda 3000. This works very well for our 25FB with a single air conditioning unit. If you need to regularly run both your a/c units, you may need to move up to a Honda 6500.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Unless you get a very large generator, you'll be limited to one A/C unit while boon docking.
IMO, anything over 3.5 K gets awkward to maneuver, but there are plenty of 7K units in use. Then, they'll consume more gas, and everything gets bigger.
The reality is you don't run the generator 24/7. Most of the day you're outside, and at night it's cooler.

Don't fall into buying a large "open frame" (read "construction") generator unless you want enemies.
Get the best "inverter" generator you think is a good value. I got mine off Craig's list after watching for a few months.

OBTW, I bought another power cord. It has the standard Airstream 50 amp female plug on one end and a 30 amp RV plug on the male end. It's MUCH easier to run to the generator, and since I'm limited to 30 amps, I didn't need to drag out the big 50 amp cord.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I took a different approach. I decided that I did not want to carry all that weight and deal with the noise and fumes. If I am boondocking, it will not be in hot weather. My worry was running the batteries down particularly when temperature was dropping into the 40s or lower at night. We also recently bought two fold-up electric bikes which will need charging.

I decided to buy a small 1000 watt Honda generator that I would use just for charging batteries. If I am dry camping where there is an electrical outlet in the restrooms, I also have two 500WHr Lithium batteries I can charge there. The generator weighs 29 lbs and is easy to carry around.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
Where did you get that “other” cord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Unless you get a very large generator, you'll be limited to one A/C unit while boon docking.
IMO, anything over 3.5 K gets awkward to maneuver, but there are plenty of 7K units in use. Then, they'll consume more gas, and everything gets bigger.
The reality is you don't run the generator 24/7. Most of the day you're outside, and at night it's cooler.

Don't fall into buying a large "open frame" (read "construction") generator unless you want enemies.
Get the best "inverter" generator you think is a good value. I got mine off Craig's list after watching for a few months.

OBTW, I bought another power cord. It has the standard Airstream 50 amp female plug on one end and a 30 amp RV plug on the male end. It's MUCH easier to run to the generator, and since I'm limited to 30 amps, I didn't need to drag out the big 50 amp cord.
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
TV Alternator Charges House Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
I took a different approach. ...

I decided to buy a small 1000 watt Honda generator that I would use just for charging batteries. ... The generator weighs 29 lbs and is easy to carry around.
I am always surprised that people purchase a generator to charge trailer house batteries.

Your tow vehicle alternator will provide much more current and be able to top up your batteries more quickly than a small generator. Just hook up your booster cables. I have my rig set up so that I can remote start my TV in the middle of the night and use the 160 amp alternator to add charge to the batteries. Very handy when running the furnace at night without going outside to start a generator or the need to carry a separate fuel supply.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I have used two Honda 2K units for years. They ere quiet and dependable. They weigh about 45 pounds apiece I believe. Weight is an issue for me lifting them into the bed of my truck. The larger 3K units weigh over 100 pounds.
Pairing 2K units I can run one air conditioner. A single unit can run most of the other electrical gadgets in the trailer. The only exception is my convection microwave. It starts up but runs slow. I am not sure that is good for it,
There are easy start units out there that will allow you to run air conditioners with one 2K unit.
You guys with these devices may want to chime in with your experiences.
BTW, welcome to the Forums.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
I use the Honda 3000i inverter which weighs 78 lbs ..Honda makes some of the best generators on the market. Proven reliability and very quiet..You can't go wrong. They are costly, but in the long run, well worth the cost...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
If you’re thinking Honda, which is a good thought, you might try to look for the very new 2200w model they just introduced. It would give a bit more capacity when running one A/C even with an easystart installed.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the dual-fuel Champion 3500, which runs on either gas or propane. Lots of fans of that unit, too.

It’s unlikely that you’ll want to drag around enough generator to run both A/C’s at once, so these two options, plus similar models from Yamaha or a 3k Honda are all great, portable choices.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
A Honda EU7000is will run two AC units. You will need a 50 amp adaptor to go from the generator to your RV power cord. I have this Honda for home back-up power with a transfer switch and could throw a dinner party during a power outage. I also have two Yamaha units for my Interstate. Go to Electric Generators Direct and look at this: Yamaha EF2000iSv2 (2) Inverter Package w/ Sidewinder 30-Amp RV Parallel Cable Kit. The Yamaha units in parallel will easily run one AC unit and a coffee maker. Yamaha also makes a Twin Tech cable which you could use for a power outage at home. In either case, you want an inverter and you want to keep it as quiet as possible.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I am always surprised that people purchase a generator to charge trailer house batteries.

Your tow vehicle alternator will provide much more current and be able to top up your batteries more quickly than a small generator. Just hook up your booster cables. I have my rig set up so that I can remote start my TV in the middle of the night and use the 160 amp alternator to add charge to the batteries. Very handy when running the furnace at night without going outside to start a generator or the need to carry a separate fuel supply.
I see your reasoning on the TV method but I have to agree with the 1k generator. The 1k generator method would be much cheaper to operate on fuel and wear and tear.
Just food for thought!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum, 2Highplains!

Recommend a propane-fueled model in the size you want. Not having to carry/fill containers of gasoline is a huge "plus" in our opinion. Similar to earlier posts, we got a Yamaha 1000 inverter/gen to keep the batteries charged and run the fridge when possible. Very small and quiet, and easy to run off the AS's propane tanks, or a 20-pound BBQ tank. Great redundancy for using at home during hurricane season.

Details in various posts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...=airforums.com

Please advise if you would like further details here in this thread. Not sure what converter/charger you have in the 25' but a 1000 watt gen may not be able to handle it. A 2000 watt gen would, but it will not handle even one A/C, unless you equip that with an Easy Start add-on.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- The new search function in the blue box above works great, and a wider search for "propane generator" will reveal many posts about various sizes and shapes.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Honda has just upgraded the 2,000 watt generators to 2,200 watts in the same form factor and weight. They are rated 1,800 continuous power load, so the pair would make 3,600 watts or the full capacity of 30 amp service as a continuous load.

At this point I do not if GenConnex has a propane conversion for the new model(s). We did that propane conversion to our pair of Honda 2000 units. That propane only conversion is entirely inside the stock enclosure and has worked well for us. One unit could run off of the front grill outlet by the trailer hitch.

There appears to be a new configuration with GFI outlets in addition to the other two models, one of which has the standard 30 amp power receptacle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Generator

I have 50 amp FC 28 with 2 ACs. After a lot of research, I went with Briggs & Stratton 3000. Has a 30 amp plug, fuel gauge, 74 lbs and about $1000 cheaper. Does great job. Even starts my 15000 btu AC but plan only to run the 13,500 unit. Has wheels and pull handle but I can easily lift it on truck bed. Check it out.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffmanP View Post
Where did you get that “other” cord?
I got it from Amazon. It's made by Voltec. I'm sure there are many others, but Voltec (Swiss) was a good value. I couldn't find it on Amazon this morning so I linked to a similar one on e-trailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/M...-3050EDBK.html

UPDATE: I found the Voltec at WalMart!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Voltec-In...=sem#read-more

Just be aware that there's difference between a power cord plug to the RV and a 30 amp RV EXTENSION cord.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61Hu9GEgK7L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	306456  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
What size Generator

I have a Honda 7000i electronic fuel injected 5 gallon gas tank will run two A/C overnight easy.

I have mine in the back of my pickup

I am pulling a 2018 Classic 33

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
wow... 50 amps for camping... thats going to be one big gen set... as the combin starting surge is going to be almost 55 amps... at 120v... The run current is 22 amps EACH... so you need a gen set that can maintain 45 amps... which comes out to be 5400 watts... RUN'N... I doubt if a pair of honda 2000 will pull that... and going up to the next size is 4500 watts... pretty expensive gen set... heading towards 6KW... so you have a starting reserve.

If I were you... I would go look for one of the onan 6.5kw gen sets that come out of a old motorhome... they are fairly quiet... air cooled ..remote elect start... and so long as you throw fuel at 'em they keep going and going... but....
the best part is that you can find 'em on craigs list... all day long for less than 500 bux...
Of course your going to need to put it in the back of the TV as its just a little bit of weight...
Run'n 2 AC's is nice.. but gets expensive when you try to run it on a gen set... or off the grid...

One other thing.. make sure you can lock off the extra power consumption devices... if you run smaller gen sets... else your going to buying equipment that you burnt out... and ...
make sure you have spike supressors on line.. as both AC normally will cause surging and spiking of the input line.. as they cycle on and off... during operation... worst case is both A/C try to come on at the same time...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
HoffmanP, I also got a similar cord from Amazon. I like Marinco Park Power cords. They are far more flexible in cold weather than the black cords supplied by Airstream. I have both a 50 amp for when I need both air conditioners and a 30 amp cord with the 50 amp head. No dog bone adapter needed.

here's the the link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I got the Champion 3500 inverter dual fuel and run it on propane. Runs my 15K AC for about 9 hours on a single 20lb propane tank.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote