Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Sarnia , Ontario,
What is this...

I removed the hot water tank from my caravel, and was wondering what this wire was coming through the wall into the trailer. It has the black, white and ground wires in it. I can't remember because it was years ago when I removed the furnace and oven/stove but it likely went to that somehow. Anyways, what I really want to know is if I could use that wire to add another electrical outlet that would go under the counter and be used to plug in my electric only fridge, and occasionally a small air conditioner. I am not electronically inclined, please assume I know pretty much nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1699.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	145250  
Anton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
It's the AC (120) supply line for a hot water tank. Most water tanks (be sure of what you buy for a replacement) are capable of operating on electric (120) and propane.

FYI, if you buy that kind of water heater, you will also need to run a DC (direct current: 12 v battery) line to the water heater, which is needed to run the circuit board.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Sarnia , Ontario,
okay, but....

Actually I'm not going to replace he water tank, I'm using that spot for a small window unit AC that fits perfectly in the space where the vent was - which brings me back to my question about whether or not I can use that line for an electrical outlet. I would really like to be able to plug a few things in under the counter, so the plugs are hidden out of the way. Could this line be used for that?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Some ideas

Honestly, I'm a little nervous when you say "I would really like to be able to plug a few things in under the counter".

I would recommend that you contact a licensed electrician. Ask him or her to do at least the following:

1) Verify that the line is not aluminum. If it is, I would not recommend using it.
2) Inspect the line to make sure that the insulation is not compromised in any way -- if it is, replace it.
3) Understand exactly which breaker the wire comes from. If you are not sure that the breaker is GFCI, replace it with the appropriate size breaker.
4) Make sure that previous owners have not made dangerous modifications or added "surprise" connections to the wiring. Relying on the original wiring diagram could be a deadly mistake.
5) Add the amperage of the "few things" that you plan to use. Make sure that the wire size and breaker are appropriately sized to handle the load.
6) Evaluate the breaker box and supply line and replace if necessary.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dear Non-Electrically Inclined

Pay attention to 65 CV.
But first, DON'T HANDLE THE EXPOSED WIRES IF YOUR AIRSTREAM IS PRESENTLY PLUGGED INTO 120 VOLT AC!

Stop, call an electrician and explain your plan to him or her. An RV electrician would be best.

If you plan to run an air conditioner on that circuit, you should not plan on plugging in a few more things under the counter, please.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Sarnia , Ontario,
Okay

Okay - thanks thats all I needed to hear. I think I'll get someone qualified to do this. The AC doesn't get used that often but my fridge(electric) presently is plugged into the outlet above the counter, which doesn't look very nice. I want enough outlets but I want it to be safe as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton66 View Post
Okay - thanks thats all I needed to hear. I think I'll get someone qualified to do this. The AC doesn't get used that often but my fridge(electric) presently is plugged into the outlet above the counter, which doesn't look very nice. I want enough outlets but I want it to be safe as well.
Since you're "relatively" close, maybe you could take your trailer over to Can-Am, and see what they think about the wiring. Andy has been doing this a very long time, and I'm sure many of his techs know what they're doing, as well.