RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Once the trailer leaves the factory, it's out of Airstream's control. They do *not* control what the dealers do on their lots. Some dealers are better than others. The batteries are fine when they leave the factory. What happens past that ..... who knows.

If you buy a car or boat that's been on the lot for a long time, you have the same set of gotcha's. Maybe the dealer took care of things. Maybe they didn't .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
I didn't end up getting new batteries, dealer "checked" them and claims they're GTG.

That means I'm getting two Trojan T105s as soon as possible. Don't mind topping off the water in conjunction with each camping trip.

How is a battery tender to be connected if the batteries are disconnected? (I'll also install a disconnect switch)
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just hook it up to the batteries directly, out in the battery box, and plug it in.

If you have to put the battery tender inside, it gets more complicated.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
I didn't end up getting new batteries, dealer "checked" them and claims they're GTG.

That means I'm getting two Trojan T105s as soon as possible. Don't mind topping off the water in conjunction with each camping trip.

How is a battery tender to be connected if the batteries are disconnected? (I'll also install a disconnect switch)
If you have a 2019 Airstream, do you not have an SAE connecter (probably ZAMP-branded) mounted to the outside of the battery box? I can just plug my off-brand battery tender to that on my '17.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I open the battery box and connect the battery tender. Not a problem. I actually have 2, one for each battery. Keeps them at about 13 volts. And they are easy to check since the green light is on each tender. AGM batteries will most likely be better in the long run. Less maintenance. My next purchase.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #26
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Hats off to you Mollysdad. Maybe it's just me, but I am envious of those who routinely make "good enough" work for them. After all a pig wearing lipstick is still just a pig!
Yes, engaging in a pissing contest to win the prize for having the most money invested in the most elaborate facilities they don't need and never fully use doesn't seem like a good use of scarce personal resources.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My interstates get used hard...they lasted 5 years ...just add distilled water one or two times a year......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
The Woodlands , TX
Our 2019 sat on a lot for about 6 months. The interstate lead acid batteries were bad from the start. After getting the AS home I found 3 of the 12 cells in the 2 batteries would not hold a charge. I should have had the batteries replaced with AGMs before delivery but had them replaced later when at the dealership for other issues. One of the other issues was excessive corrosion on the underside of the AS. Likely scenario was delivery from the factory to the dealership in Texas during winter over salted roads, then sitting in Texas. AS authorized rust removal and coating of some parts of the underside. Also, budget a few hours alone after the dealer's orientation to turn everything on and run for a bit of time. Sitting unattended for months is not kind to many systems like fridge, heaters, air conditioners, etc.
aaurbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:

You may be fine with the Interstates then if they checked them out after full charge. No need to rush if they are working fine. We had bad batteries so after Interstate replaced with new ones, we decided to upgrade to the T105's and sold the "new" Interstates on Craigs list in one day...had 3 offers. Got $75 for the pair, which I applied to the T105's. Turns out there are a lot of folks looking for batteries..mine were sold to a guy who owned a used car lot.

For the kill switch, I installed a knife switch shown below...which works fine. I did switch my converter out for a new 4 stage Boondocker converter, with "battery tender " and decalcification capabilities built in for optimum maintenance. I also have a portable GoPower "suitcase" solar panel plus Dual Fuel propane powered generator for backup, though seldom need it. Looking at the Yetti 1000W Li portable now, but have not pulled the trigger yet. You can never have enough options it seems, for keeping your power available with an AS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery side throw kill switch.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	358225  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you have a 2019 Airstream, do you not have an SAE connecter (probably ZAMP-branded) mounted to the outside of the battery box? I can just plug my off-brand battery tender to that on my '17.
Yes, I think I do. Don't know the details or what that port was intended for, we don't even have the camper yet. I'll take a look next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
<snip>
For the kill switch, I installed a knife switch shown below...which works fine. I did switch my converter out for a new 4 stage Boondocker converter, with "battery tender " and decalcification capabilities built in for optimum maintenance. I also have a portable GoPower "suitcase" solar panel plus Dual Fuel propane powered generator for backup, though seldom need it. Looking at the Yetti 1000W Li portable now, but have not pulled the trigger yet. You can never have enough options it seems, for keeping your power available with an AS!
What's a converter? Is that the charger? Is the stock charger not very good? I'll need to investigate.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Converter converts 120 to 12 volt when you have shore power. Newer ones, like you will have, also charge and tender the battery, again with shore power.
Anyone looking for a Yeti type battery should look at Ecoflow Delta. New model just beginning to ship. I'll try to post a link.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri

Ecoflow Delta
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
Converter converts 120 to 12 volt when you have shore power. Newer ones, like you will have, also charge and tender the battery, again with shore power.
Anyone looking for a Yeti type battery should look at Ecoflow Delta. New model just beginning to ship. I'll try to post a link.
Ok thanks! Apparently the 2018 and later airstreams have this 3-stage converter:
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955-55-amp/

I don't plan on replacing it. So since my storage unit will have 30A shore power available, no need for a battery tender either.

I have a separate marine charger that I can use to run some 'maintenance' charging profiles through the batteries should the need arise.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Interstate batteries

There are a lot of negative comments about Interstate batteries. I was an Interstate dealer for 40 years when I owned an auto repair shop. We saw all kinds of battery failures during that time and I donít think Interstate was any worse than the other brands. We continued to sell and stock Interstate because we felt that they offered the best batteries for the price and they always stood behind their products.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Yes, I think I do. Don't know the details or what that port was intended for, we don't even have the camper yet. I'll take a look next week.

What's a converter? Is that the charger? Is the stock charger not very good? I'll need to investigate.

Airstream installed single stage converters up until 2018 models, they then switched to a 3 stage converter. I have not seen negative posts on the new 3 stage models, but pre 2018 AS's, there were many complaints of the single stage converter causing overcharging of batteries; boiling out the water. Lots of us switched to the 4 stage converters after understanding why our batteries died and would not hold a charge.

I know with my Boondocker 4 stage, it senses the state of the battery and charges accordingly and my batteries are asways topped off when we are ready to go. I can keep the AS plugged in all the time and not worry, or I can also disconnect the kill switch and everything inside still functions fine, which is what I do at home; this allows me to leave the furnace set to 40 and not worry about battery power.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #36

2019 23' International
Carlsbad , California
old new batteties

I had year old batteries in my brand new airstream when i pick it up and had problems quickly. Especially keeping a charge. I went to an Interstate dealer in Ventura while dry camping at Emma Woods and they tested them and replaced them under warranty. The technician stated the old - new batteries in new boats and RVís are a problem. I have not had a problem since. Unfortunately the had to mark the new batteries on the original date of the old new batteries. I would demand new batteries from AS.
Brooklyn568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Chino Hills , California
Go solar

I am by no means an expert on batteries but I do know what worked out for me. I still have the original interstate battery in my AS but the best move I made was to install a couple of solar panels with a victron controller. My AS is kept outside so the battery is constantly getting a charge. I really never think about my battery b/c of the solar unit. Now our friends brought their AS (same model) a few months before we did and their battery went boobs up in a couple of months and while out on a trip with us. So my point is, if you are concerned about batteries and they cost a $$$ then do yourself a favor and install a solar charging unit. Today this can be done for less then what you would spend on a couple of Trojon 6V batteries.

Take care and enjoy your AS.
roadkill367 is offline   Reply With Quote