RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The best way to check for parasitic drain is with a multi-meter with a clamp-on pick up. Otherwise, you need to measure across each circuit where it is opened by disconnecting it from it's breaker. Start with higher setting and work down so as not to over scale the tester. Some drains I have found are: propane detector, sub woofer, OEM solar controllers, converters, inverters, stereos, and other equipment requiring standby computer memory power. A good heavy duty marine switch will prevent all that. Also, batteries in long term storage will last longer. Having said all this, I am installing a composting toilet that requires a full time circulating fan. I have a large lithium battery bank that Lew says to hook up to directly with a fuse for the draw of .0432 watts. I think that will last a long, long time.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Port Richey , Florida
I used the simple connection that you discribed but I could not isolate the power, it seems that I have two red wires (positive) running out of the battery box in different directions. I am not an electrician and only followed the directions I got online, but I still end up with dead batteries. Help...pic of my DIY job below. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	302866
Jstsal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
It looks to me like you still have a connected ground wire running from one of the batteries, to (I assume) a ground somewhere. Since yiur positive wires are still hooked up, that makes a circuit, which draws current. You have to disconnect ALL battery-to-ground wires.
rogerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstsal69 View Post
I used the simple connection that you discribed but I could not isolate the power, it seems that I have two red wires (positive) running out of the battery box in different directions. I am not an electrician and only followed the directions I got online, but I still end up with dead batteries. Help...pic of my DIY job below. Thanks.

Attachment 302866
Yes, it looks like the negative cable from you converter (the black on on the right side of the picture) is still connected. If you want to use one switch, you would need to have all negative cables on one of the battery (-) posts and all positives on the other batteries (+) post. This may take some rewiring.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I agree; it looks like your still connected. I am still wondering about your Interstates...I would have them checked if you are sure you have provided a full charge.

Look at my picture I took today below. Note in the picture, I re-routed all the negative wires to terminal with the butterfly nut on the knife disconnect switch, so I can completely isolate when I throw it. I do leave my AS plugged into shore power that way I can run the internal electronics or heater without battery connected. The new converter allows for this and shows DC at 13.3V when I measure. When I throw the knife switch on so the battery is connected, (to charge the batteries before a trip), the voltage immediately drops to 13.1, so I know the converter is working fine. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new knife switch picture 1-24-18.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	302944  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
An alteration one might do to the above would to have all but the external solar jack wires go on the far side of the switch. That way you can trickle charge with a solar trickle charger or a BateryTender without having to pop the top of the battery compartment.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Port Richey , Florida
Thank you all for your input. Our AS is at the dealer going over some warranty items and will get back next week. I will make the adjustment and see how it works during a shake down trip in late February. I like the trickle charge recommendation too. Since I am a newbie everyone’s input has been helpful and greatly appreciated.
Jstsal69 is offline   Reply With Quote