Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What converter for lithium?

Going to do the lithium conversion in May. What are some good converters for 2 lithium batteries that do what lithium batteries need. Do lithium batteries need something more than a fixed voltage converter?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I would just call Randy at Bestconverter.Com. He has been around forever and knows his business.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Wfco 9800 lis series

I replaced my converter, after failure, with the 9800 lis series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Going to do the lithium conversion in May. What are some good converters for 2 lithium batteries that do what lithium batteries need. Do lithium batteries need something more than a fixed voltage converter?
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:16 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Right now we have two lead-acid batteries being fed by a Progressive Dynamics 9245, which is a multi-stage converter.

In the coming months I'll be switching over to a trio of Battleborn lithium batteries, and the plan is to swap out the converter for a Progressive Dynamics PD9145ALV, which is a 2-stage converter/charger designed specifically for lithium. Once the batteries are charged, it drops down from 14.6 to 13.6v for a storage mode. Here's the info on their lithium charging parameters: https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...ge-lithium.pdf

For me, this model provides the most seamless swap. It's nearly identical in size, and the wiring swap is very straightforward. I might go with the 60-amp model instead, if I decide that a larger battery bank is in the works in the future so I'll have built-in expansion capacity.

From what I'm reading a 2-stage converter like this is preferred over a single stage.

Hope this helps you decide.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I replaced my WFCO converter with a WFCO lithium converter. Not sure it is the best (made in China) but it was sure easy to replace. It only involves a few screws and wires and is a perfect fit.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Port Townsend , WA
Which WFCO product?

I'm also upgrading to lithium but I'm very confused by WFCO's product offering. Do I need the Converter Replacement Kit, the Power Center or the Main Board Assembly? My AS has a WF-8955PEC installed.
jenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Cohoes , NY
The auto detecting WFCO converters installed in recent models have been problematic. There are several posts in the forums about these issues. Mine doesn’t ever seem to want to jump up above 13.6 V. I’m planning to go with a Progressive Dynamics replacement this year.

'22 Classic 30 RBT
'24 F250 7.3L
BRN 17600
Joey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:58 PM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I would just call Randy at Bestconverter.Com. He has been around forever and knows his business.
This is what I did and was not disappointed.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
I have a WFCO Auto detect converter. It was sent back to factory for a firmware upgrade in February. It STILL isn’t right. I spoke to their tech Larry and he confirmed that my converter needs to go back to WFCO for the just released version of firmware. I’m done. I just bought a progressive dynamics unit. Should have it next week Do not buy a WFCO AD converter. They have taken a simple charger and made it into a super complex device that does not work.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Joe View Post
The auto detecting WFCO converters installed in recent models have been problematic. There are several posts in the forums about these issues. Mine doesn’t ever seem to want to jump up above 13.6 V. I’m planning to go with a Progressive Dynamics replacement this year.
I had the exact same symptoms. It appears that you have the firmware issue. If you call WFCO tech support they will run you through a bunch of questions about wire length, wire gauge and fuses. All this will check out fine leading to the conclusion that your converter needs a firmware upgrade. When I did this, the converter came back somewhat better but it won’t go into Lithium mode. The entire concept of an auto detect converter is silly. If someone has the knowledge to swap out a bank of batteries then they have the skills to flick a switch on the converter to change it from lead-acid to lithium mode. No “auto” detect needed.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:48 AM   #11
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenorth View Post
I'm also upgrading to lithium but I'm very confused by WFCO's product offering. Do I need the Converter Replacement Kit, the Power Center or the Main Board Assembly? My AS has a WF-8955PEC installed.
I replaced mine with the full time lithium WF-8950L2-MBA. It does not have a detector switch for lithium and lead acid. I will never go back to lead acid. I kept the existing 12 volt board and the 120 volt electric panel and breakers.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:15 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Also from Randy at BC....

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-31-2023, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Same, same. Great advice. Takes all the guesswork out and you will get exactly what you need for your application.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am the OP for this thread. I am suprisedx to see it pop up. I did not do the lithium conversion. I did buy two 105 amp hour AGM's. They are a welcome increase over the 70 amp hour Walmart batteries I had been using. I did buy a 12 volt to 12 volt dc converter. I went with a Victron 18 amp blue tooth model. But I never installed it. It is sitting in a drawer waiting until I decide if I want to install it or just sell it and move on, I decided that as good as lithium batteries may be the AGM's will work for the little boondocking we do. We did 10 days with the AGM and the generator last summer. I did charge a little more often than I thought I might have to, This year I do not see any major off grid camping coming up. My big load is a CPAP. I carry a lithium backup unit for the CPAP that would be good for a few days if needed. So far I have not needed it. I do wish the lithium had been an option back in 2007 when we started out camping. Went on an Alaska caravan with poor batteries and no generator. Had a few miserable days and nights. Eventually added a generator and a Micro Air soft start. Bought new batteries one time during a 14 day boon docking stay where I messed up by not generating often enough,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:20 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Port Townsend , WA
Hi Bill, I was digging deep in old threads for previous discussions and found yours. I try not to start a new post unless I realllllly can't find the answer I'm looking for in previous discussions.

I talked to Randy and got what I need, so thanks to n2916s. He recommended the Wildkat 4655L MBA, which was made specifically to replace the WFCO 8955 that comes standard in newer model ASs. I like it because it includes 4-stage charging with a remote to control charging modes. I wasn't finding 4-stage support from any other converters, much less a remote to override.

Auto-detection sounds like a nightmare. The only reason I considered a converter with the option to toggle between battery types was for resale. Like Bill, if you don't spend much time off-grid and a couple AGM or golf cart batteries are enough, it could save a future owner a lot of money. If I ever sell, I'll be taking my lithium batteries with me...

Thanks all!
jenorth is offline   Reply With Quote