Old 07-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #1

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Sisters , Oregon
WFCO WF-5100 series (factory installed)

I just bought a 2016 Fly Cloud 30, and it has the WFCO WF-5100 series inverter, the paperwork only says '1000 watts continuous'. Sort of learning about the electrical system, is that really continuous for this thing or will it burn out running it at or close to 1000W for long times? The manual is not inspiring.

I ordered 2 of the Lion Energy on Costco's recent sale to upgrade the batteries a little, so we will have more than the stock battery reserves available (I know, everyone likes Battle Born, but until we know how much we love RV'ing/solar etc. I felt like that was an ok upgrade to start).

AirQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It is rated for continuous output of 1000 W and will perform fine. It will warm up a bit and its cooling fan will run. The Cosco batteries are a nice price!

Old 07-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Up North , Michigan
Hi AirQ,

I also ordered and have received the 3 of the costco Lions. Not installed yet, so I have no comment on performance. They did charge up real nice on a NOCO smart charger. I also have that same inverter. While I have added solar, I am thinking about giving the stock inverter a go. Didn't want to get that deep in the overall solar/lith install and don't really need more than 1,000w. Hopefully with 600w of solar panels, I won't need to rely on the stock converter, as I'd like to not have to mess with that either. What are you going to utilize for charging?
Greatlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #4

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks BayouBiker, was just wanting to make sure that inverter would hold up with more use.

Greatlaker, I ordered the batteries last minute, so haven't gotten them yet (and had an old address in Costco, so they had to be re-routed, so fingers crossed they make it). I am looking at starting with only about 200W of solar, it looks like I have roughly 156"x24" of easily usable space up front on each side, so I think I could go to 6 100W panels pretty easily wiring each side serial, but not sure how much I am going to be off-grid, so I might hold off on that a bit. Probably just going to get the victron 100/30 and make a pretty basic system with the pre-wire (finally found the wires behind the ac filters, only have 1 ac unit up front, manual said back vent, so took me a while). I was just going to let the shore power charge them when I got them installed until I figure out my solar setup.

We are closing on our house at the end of the month and doing about a month in the trailer before the new house is done, but we have power in all our reservations at the moment, so I'm not in too big a hurry. The costco deal seemed like good enough to go ahead and buy.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Up North , Michigan
If there is a chance you may want to load it up with 6+ panels in the future, you'll want to use the 100/50 Victron. The 100/30 taps out at (4) panels, if they are "lit" up. No harm or worry, you just won't be able to secure anything above 30a. Many folks that put up 4/100w panels use the 100/30, if they are pretty convinced that they'll never add a 5th or 6th panel.... No worries using your stock converter to charge, however you will likely top out at 85% charge or so, due to a lower charge current 13.8 or so, versus a lithium charger that is programmed to charge at 4.2-4.6.

Tons of helpful folks here, that will be happy to help you once you get ready to finalize your plans.

Good luck!
Greatlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:42 AM   #6

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks Greatlaker, I did get the batteries from Costco delivered! I just swapped them into the battery box as you can see below. Had some flextape I covered up the bottom holes in the box with, but left a couple holes open so it can vent, taped over the hinges and going to add a strip of weather seal so water won't get in the top. Eventually I'll move them inside, but for now I am kind of in a time-crunch, so this seemed like the easiest route.

I ordered the 100/30 from AM Solar on Monday and it got here today, I don't think I will ever go beyond a few panels, although the calculator says if I did 2 serial banks 800W is in spec (~72 volts, ~12 amps). Reading I'm guessing the advantage of parallel is each panel is able to operate at individual max efficiency depending on shade (but I might end up with wires the size of my forearm), so it's not clear to me yet what the best setup is. I decided to order 2 Renogy 100W panels and just go from there, if I do end up upgrading beyond what I can handle, I might just move this setup over to my utility trailer so I can use it as a mobile shop and have quiet/cheap power for my power tools.

Our queen bed was also kind of messed up, so I had to re-size the head piece of plywood, as AS had incorrectly cut it and it was too large, so they had just applied force until it flexed downward and slipped into place. Maybe by winter I'l be ready to start the fun upgrades

Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #7

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Sisters , Oregon
Well, apparently I can't attach images properly, maybe this link will work:
https://imgur.com/a/D9P9fo5