Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #1

Question wall switch in Excella 1990 32'

We just bought a 1990 Excella 32' and are trying to fix and understand a few odds & ends.
The dealer told us that the switch in the bathroom, even though labelled "high/low", is not supposed to operate on low setting.

These vanity lights are a real power drain. We want to check the wiring & make sure it will be High AND Low.

I tugged on the switch, it did not come out. Before I break it, I want to make sure there is no special trick to removing it.

Any truth about that switch originally working only on high?

(Yes, I know: the power is off, 12 & 110 volt) .

Thank you for your input.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Chantal & Mike,
I can't shed any light on the switch but do have a question. Are your 2 vanity lights of the tungsten bulb variety? I'm asking because I have 2 of that type in the bathroom of my '77 Excella and one is considerably brighter than the other. I surmise that the brighter of the two is a replacement but I have not looked that closely yet. Both of them turn on by a single switch and they are considerably brighter than I would ever need them to be. I'd say they do draw a bunch of current. If someone on the forum can't help with the hi-lo switch question, you could check the wattage and put in lower watt 12 volt bulbs. One of my catalogs shows bulbs in 15, 25, 40 and 50 watt ratings.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #3

In the 1990: we have 6 vanity lights, 13w each, look like plain old bulbs to me.
(Mike asked: aren't tungsten filament bulbs just the plain old type bulb ?)

Quote:
bulbs in 15, 25, 40 and 50 watt ratings
I didn't know they made them that bright.

What we have done in our 1974, on the 2 ceiling lights in the kitchen/dining area:

Mike has rewired the fixtures and arranged the bulbs so on click #1 we have as low a wattage as we can get: one 5w automotive bulb. Enough to eat a pizza or have a drink.
click #2: I think we must have 3 bulbs: enough for most dinner.
click #3: 5 bulbs: better use this one if you eat fish with a lot of bones. Rarely use it.
He couldn't figured out how to get the right combination to use the 6 bulbs, but 5 are enough and it works great that way.

Your trailer may be more like our 1974: the bathroom fixture has 4 bulbs, and a rotating switch with 3 positions. The bulbs look alike.

The problem in the 1990 bathroom looks pretty different. Bigger base and different types of bulbs. A rocker type switch High/Low.
The high/low is an absolute necessity: we don't need the same wattage say for brushing our teeth than when Mike has to trim his mustache (rarely, but...).

I guess we will have to start experimenting.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Hmmm! My vanity has just the 2 bulbs, one on either side of the elongated mirror. It has a silver toggle switch which could have been replaced by a previous owner but who knows. I still have the 3 position switch light fixture over my shoulder and between the 2 wardrobe cabinents next to the shower and the water heater cabinet. As far as your lighting in the dining area is concerned, I agree that the multi-bulb lighting is rather bright and does not lend itself to mood lighting. I usually leave it off and use the single bulb fixture over the sink on. I have also used one or more of the reading lamps over my entertainment center by the front window on for eating meals with the guys during hunting trips. When the weather is good, we all eat outside on a picnic table. I have the most room so when it is rainey or real cold we move inside the Airstream. They have 4 other campers parked next to mine and we have a great time during turkey and deer season.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote