Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thank you sir! Now to find a supplier of this stuff that is not across the world from me.....
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Lewster, Do you have a voyager model number that you have found that works best as far as picture quality and view? I really appreciate your time and input.
Jim
4t9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Voyager back up camera

They only make 2 wireless models. Choice is the screen size. Either works well with 30' Airstreams.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
So, I, too have been thinking of adding a rear camera to my rig (and thinking about such things is when I become dangerous and spend money). But I am very reluctant to drill any holes in my "pickup Pullman". Which led me to more thinking...

I have a 27FB. It has a 12v cigarette lighter plug in the cabinet right above the rear window. What if, instead of an external mount, you were to mount the camera to a piece of plexiglass, which, in turn, had a chain attached to the top to support the weight and four little plastic suction cups on the corners which could stick to the rear window to stabilize. Then, all you'd have to do is buy a cigarette style plug to attach to the camera's wires, and plug into the 12v plug.

I'm not one to rely on a camera for backing into places, but it would be nice to have a second reference when my wife is giving some sort of hand signal not in the international book of police hand signals. Don't need a microphone either, for that matter. My main desire is to see what's hiding directly behind my trailer while on the road, waiting for the most inopportune time to come tearing around either my left or right flank.

Anyone here try an interior window mount?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
So, I, too have been thinking of adding a rear camera to my rig (and thinking about such things is when I become dangerous and spend money). But I am very reluctant to drill any holes in my "pickup Pullman". Which led me to more thinking...

I have a 27FB. It has a 12v cigarette lighter plug in the cabinet right above the rear window. What if, instead of an external mount, you were to mount the camera to a piece of plexiglass, which, in turn, had a chain attached to the top to support the weight and four little plastic suction cups on the corners which could stick to the rear window to stabilize. Then, all you'd have to do is buy a cigarette style plug to attach to the camera's wires, and plug into the 12v plug.

I'm not one to rely on a camera for backing into places, but it would be nice to have a second reference when my wife is giving some sort of hand signal not in the international book of police hand signals. Don't need a microphone either, for that matter. My main desire is to see what's hiding directly behind my trailer while on the road, waiting for the most inopportune time to come tearing around either my left or right flank.

Anyone here try an interior window mount?
Like I have stated previously, I don't drill any holes when doing a Voyager wireless installation. Also, the beauty of the system is that it's connected to your running lights, which means that you not only have an on/off switch in the TV cab, but it is powered from the 7-way umbilical and Not your trailer batteries....avoiding another parasitic drain on them.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
Just Use a Ram Mount

I went round and round on this and I just couldn't bring myself to drill a hole through the skin. I came up with what I believe a very good solution. I tapped into 12 volt power at the license plate bracket. I used two quick splicers to connect to the ground and hot wire and connected those to a two pole trailer plug. The other end of the plug I attached to the voyager camera. Cleaned the install up with some shrink wrap. I purchased a RAM mount on Amazon. This allows me to position the camera pretty much anywhere. However high up on the back window seems to work best. This arrangement also allows me to move the camera to the TV when hitching up. The mount is very secure and I had no problems on our first outing. This type of installation also allows me to easily remove the camera when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	- voy1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	266820   Click image for larger version

Name:	voy2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	266821  

BearForceOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Lewster,
Wondering if you have any photos of your install without holes.
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Voyager back up camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
Lewster,

Wondering if you have any photos of your install without holes.

I'll check my photo file later today and post a shot if I have one. If not, I'm adding one to a new 27 FB this coming week and can get one then.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It's easier than what you propose. Varied camera and GPS applications have suction cup arms that can be used to mount a camera in the rear window. Go to the GoPro section at Best. You will find a solution if there is not one in your garage parts box.

We are using that method. It makes for an easy install. In our application, we do not have the 12 volt source and use a jump start battery that has the cigarette lighter style socket. Lasts several days before needing a recharge.

The problems are -

The rear window collects moisture when it rains. The air flow at the back of the trailer does not pass over the rear window. The higher mount near the clearance lights is in that air flow.

The suction cup will release from time to time. Not really an issue as it works quite well and is easy to correct.

The window is a source of some distortion. There also can be condensation on the inside that distorts the image.

The view down is blocked somewhat by the internal position. The view behind is what we find to be of value.

Certainly, is an option to get a camera in place quickly while you review your options.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Is this model currently available and if so where?
tamifailla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
The 2017 specs state, "Rear View Camera Pre-wire" is standard. Does anyone know the specifics of this.

Jim.
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post
The 2017 specs state, "Rear View Camera Pre-wire" is standard. Does anyone know the specifics of this.

Jim.
It's "pre wired" because they are building it into the wiring harness of all new trailers. You would still have to drill a hole in the shell and fish out the wire. You just won't have to tie into an existing 12volt wire on non "pre-wired" models.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It's easier than what you propose. Varied camera and GPS applications have suction cup arms that can be used to mount a camera in the rear window. Go to the GoPro section at Best. You will find a solution if there is not one in your garage parts box.

We are using that method. It makes for an easy install. In our application, we do not have the 12 volt source and use a jump start battery that has the cigarette lighter style socket. Lasts several days before needing a recharge.

The problems are -

The rear window collects moisture when it rains. The air flow at the back of the trailer does not pass over the rear window. The higher mount near the clearance lights is in that air flow.

The suction cup will release from time to time. Not really an issue as it works quite well and is easy to correct.

The window is a source of some distortion. There also can be condensation on the inside that distorts the image.

The view down is blocked somewhat by the internal position. The view behind is what we find to be of value.

Certainly, is an option to get a camera in place quickly while you review your options.

Travel safe. Pat
Pat,
Your solution calls for an inside mount. I think an outside mount with a high grade Ram suction device will eliminate the problems you mention and make the install much more simplified.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #34
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearForceOne View Post
Pat,
Your solution calls for an inside mount. I think an outside mount with a high grade Ram suction device will eliminate the problems you mention and make the install much more simplified.
It is possible to feed the power from the inside source to the outside, but you have to feed it past the window seal. I just did not like the idea and would not recommend it.

Rear view cameras are great - get one when you can afford it. Pat
Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Following thread for future install
firemed509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Well, I got my voyager camera in today. Started install and the way I ran the wires for the camera was to drill into the red lens in the front and then I drilled a hole underneath the red lens and fished the wire threw the lens coming out the bottom then I nicked both wires and soldered the camera wires to them with tape covering them. Next step I cleaned the whole area and put sealer on screw wholes and around wires and around grommet where the existing wires go threw the body. Little over kill but after light was put back it was a very clean install if I say so my self. Next I installed the camera bracket with 3m tape and silka grey aluminum sealer but I didn't like the color contrast so I removed the sealer and I'm going to install clear instead. I really think the tape is strong enough but as lewster said, it's added protection. That's where I'm at so far and will keep the group updated. Hardest part so far is there is not a lot of wire to work with on the lens and then feeding that wire threw was tough because you really have to be careful because the led's are close to the front of the lens and I was worried about hitting then with the drill bit.
4t9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #37
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We looked at the 5" Voyager camera and monitor in the wireless configuration. It is much better than our existing system, but still not what we would like.

We spent some time looking at the 7" monitor as well. Supports three cameras. What we saw was a rear, a left, and a right camera. These cameras provide quite a wide spread. However it looks to be an application for a MoHo. Anyone considered or tried using all three to get a wide angle view on their trailer? How about the outrigger cameras on the front of the coach or rear of TV? How about the utility of a split screen?

Your thoughts appreciated. Pat
Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
I just reviewed the new Voyager camera system on my youtube channel:

The display is a 5" and can support up to 5 cameras (4 wireless and one wired). I am not sure when the release date is but it is probably soon since I got one to review already.
According to ASA this comes out in August.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
According to ASA this comes out in August.
Thanks for the review. It was the size of the monitor that stopped me from buying this system in the past. Your review identifies that the monitor has changed and much more reasonable from a size standpoint. Now to figure out where to buy one.....

Thanks again

Doug
Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losman View Post
Here's a wireless backup camera I'm thinking about buying: https://pearlauto.com/rearvision
@Losman, Did you buy the Pearl Rearvision system? They don't commit to the bluetooth/wifi connection working on an RV. Seems like an awesome solution if it works.
wingtipwalke is offline   Reply With Quote