Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Victron Multiplus-II 2 X 120v Hum/Fan

For those who have this unit installed, could you comment on any noise the unit makes? I would put it under the queen bed in 2018 Flying Cloud 27FB.

1. Is there a hum?
2. Is there fan noise?
3. Hum or fan when connected to shore power?

I am worried that located under the bed, it will disturb sleep.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The Multiplus is virtually silent unless the fan comes on. That's not something that happens in "normal" operation.

I would suggest that the inverter function of the device be shut off at night. If you need to run something like a CPAP there are several way to do it without running the main inverter.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
It should only run the fan in high load/high temperature situations. While it isn't really quiet, I have heard much louder fans when it's running. So make sure your batteries are either mostly charged, or heavy loads mostly used in order to prevent fan from running.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Can you connect the existing inverter on-off button to the Multiplus so that it can easily be turned on and off?
Old 10-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy,

After recently finishing 3 installations of the Multiplus II units, They ALL generate some fan noise when in bulk charge. This continues for a limited time, depending on the state of your batteries when the inverter/charger is turned on.

If you don't want any fan noise, just turn the inverter off at night. If installed correctly, everything will still operate on batteries less your 120VAC circuits. You can turn it back on when you wake up to recharge them...SIMPLE!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
If you add a Victron Multi Control GX you can control the Multiplus remotely and do as Lew indicated, plus get additional functionality.

Name:   Multi Control GX.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  7.6 KB

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...ro_p_6457.html

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Can the inverter be turned off with a phone app?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The fan comes on with the inverter, but it also comes on with the charger.

To me it doesn't really make sense to shut the thing off at night - then you're essentially living in a metal tent.

With the Victron we're talking about, if you turn off the inverter you lose all your 120v circuits in the trailer. It is possible to turn off the inverter and leave on the charger, but if you have enough draw overnight (such as with a furnace) the charger might hit a high enough load to turn the fans on once in a while.

The noise is not really that bad, at least not to me. Of course, I sleep with a fan on which tends to blur out all the other noises.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The fan comes on with the inverter, but it also comes on with the charger.

To me it doesn't really make sense to shut the thing off at night - then you're essentially living in a metal tent.

With the Victron we're talking about, if you turn off the inverter you lose all your 120v circuits in the trailer. It is possible to turn off the inverter and leave on the charger, but if you have enough draw overnight (such as with a furnace) the charger might hit a high enough load to turn the fans on once in a while.

The noise is not really that bad, at least not to me. Of course, I sleep with a fan on which tends to blur out all the other noises.

Hi

There is no reason to have the inverter on if you are on shore power (ever). If you are off grid and in bed, the inverter only is needed if you want 120V overnight....

The only time our fan ever comes on is with a really heavy load. Yes, it's installed so there is good ventilation so that may be a factor. The amount of current the fridge or furnace pulls off of the 12V line is not a "heavy load".

The little panel *is* the right way to run the MultiPlus. Running it with the "stock" inverter switch does not give you full control of the device and a readout of what's happening. There is no direct Bluetooth into the unit so, the panel is all you have.

Bob
Old 10-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There is no reason to have the inverter on if you are on shore power (ever). If you are off grid and in bed, the inverter only is needed if you want 120V overnight....

The only time our fan ever comes on is with a really heavy load. Yes, it's installed so there is good ventilation so that may be a factor. The amount of current the fridge or furnace pulls off of the 12V line is not a "heavy load".

The little panel *is* the right way to run the MultiPlus. Running it with the "stock" inverter switch does not give you full control of the device and a readout of what's happening. There is no direct Bluetooth into the unit so, the panel is all you have.

Bob
From what I've seen on our Multiplus 2x120v unit which was installed this summer, if you turn off the inverter you also are turning off shore power. Not sure what unit you have, but on the 2x120v Multiplus which was just released it is necessary to have the unit turned on in order for it to pass the 120v through to the breaker panel.

ALL shore power goes through the inverter's internal switching. If the shore power is cut off this is what allows the Multiplus to instantly take over and provide power via the inverter.

The inverter isn't always providing power from the batteries, but it is necessary to have the unit turned on to send the shore power to the breaker panel.

It is possible to have the switch set to only provide charging to the batteries, but in that position it cuts off all shower power to the breaker panel. This means that no 120v is available anywhere, meaning that the a/c won't work, the refrigerator is on propane, etc.

If you're boon docking, then of course it doesn't matter as you're likely running all the devices from battery or propane. But, if you're in a campground or using a generator then the inverter must be turned on.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
For those who have this unit installed, could you comment on any noise the unit makes? I would put it under the queen bed in 2018 Flying Cloud 27FB.

1. Is there a hum?
2. Is there fan noise?
3. Hum or fan when connected to shore power?

I am worried that located under the bed, it will disturb sleep.
It will keep you up and generate heat. I had a complete Victron system in my 30 foot classic. with 4 lithium ion batteries and 4 solar panels. It was installed in late 2017. In the desert SW, these units have heat problems, and additional fans were added, but alas the victron has a circuit alarm that went off incessantly. The likely hood of this occurring under your bed of the 27FB is high.

Best location for this unit is outside in a separate box. AS doesn't lend itself to a big inverter to locate within the cabin. I recently removed the inverter and strictly charge the batteries.

I think it depends on where you plan to camp, when you plan to camp and whether you need AC voltage. I have a propane fired generator for boondocking which is never on except when I need AC voltage, typically for A/C units. The inverter losses really reduces hours of available battery life (the cost of converting DC to AC voltage). I am not a fan of the expense and the actual return on investment. There is very little return on investment for the privilege of a very small amount of AC power. To me it just doesn't pencil out. The inconvenience of the inverter as you are worrying about makes it even less desirable.

Hope this helps. There will be many nay sayers to my opinion, but I have that tee shirt and have been there.

Cheers
Gman88188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
I sleep with the Victron II under my pillow. It is ALWAYS ON. Richard5933 is correct. When on shore power ALL AC circuits pass through the inverter in order to take advantage of the hybrid function. The inverter must be on, and you control the max amp draw with the digital multi control panel. Any additional current draw is pulled from the batteries. The inverter is very quiet.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:

It is possible to have the switch set to only provide charging to the batteries, but in that position it cuts off all shower power to the breaker panel. This means that no 120v is available anywhere, meaning that the a/c won't work, the refrigerator is on propane, etc.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the manual says the AC voltage should pass through when the switch is set to charge only.

Quote:
When the switch is switched to ‘charger only’, only the battery charger of the Multi will operate (if mains voltage is present). In this
mode input voltage also is switched through to the ‘AC out’ terminal.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the manual says the AC voltage should pass through when the switch is set to charge only.
This is true, but then you obviously won't be able to utilize the hybrid functions of the Victron. Depending on the 12vdc usage and the temperature in the cabinet where the Victron is located, the fans might still turn themselves on during the night.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
From what I've seen on our Multiplus 2x120v unit which was installed this summer, if you turn off the inverter you also are turning off shore power. Not sure what unit you have, but on the 2x120v Multiplus which was just released it is necessary to have the unit turned on in order for it to pass the 120v through to the breaker panel.

ALL shore power goes through the inverter's internal switching. If the shore power is cut off this is what allows the Multiplus to instantly take over and provide power via the inverter.

The inverter isn't always providing power from the batteries, but it is necessary to have the unit turned on to send the shore power to the breaker panel.

If you're boon docking, then of course it doesn't matter as you're likely running all the devices from battery or propane. But, if you're in a campground or using a generator then the inverter must be turned on.
Hi

There's a three way switch on the control panel for the Multiplus:

Charge only

Off

(Everything) On

When set to off, the device is just sitting there. Nothing goes anywhere.

With the switch set to charge only the charger operates, but the inverter does not. Shore power goes to the outlets in this mode.

With the switch set to enable the inverter ( they call it "on", but that's a bit confusing). Then both the charger and the inverter are enabled.

This is all clearly documented in:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...0V-230V-en.pdf

The "old" Mulitplus worked the same way.

Bob
Old 10-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There's a three way switch on the control panel for the Multiplus:

Charge only

Off

(Everything) On

When set to off, the device is just sitting there. Nothing goes anywhere.

With the switch set to charge only the charger operates, but the inverter does not. Shore power goes to the outlets in this mode.

With the switch set to enable the inverter ( they call it "on", but that's a bit confusing). Then both the charger and the inverter are enabled.

This is all clearly documented in:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...0V-230V-en.pdf

The "old" Mulitplus worked the same way.

Bob
Isn't this what was already mentioned and I've already agreed with in a correction to my previous post?

If you have the touch screen control you can make the changes to the on/off status from it as well without even having to reach down under the inverter itself.

In the 'off' position, as you said it does nothing. No 120v power goes anywhere. Batteries are not charged. No fan activity or noise.

In the 'on' position, the inverter sits on standby as long as there is adequate incoming shore power. If the power drops or is inadequate, the inverter steps in to help. Possibility for fan noise from both the charging functions and the inverter functions.

In the 'charge only' position 120v is passed through and the batteries are charged. Possibility of fan noise from the charging functions.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Isn't this what was already mentioned and I've already agreed with in a correction to my previous post?

Hi

That would be the post you typed while I was doing the one after it .....

Bob
Old 10-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
I am currently installing a Victron Multiplus-II 2x120v in a 2022 GT 25 FBT. I evaluated a whole bunch of options for placement of the Multiplus and 4 LifeBlue batteries. Finally decided to place the batteries under the driver side bed in the outside storage area since there is access to that area via the outside hatch.

I put the MultiPlus in the closet between the refrigerator and the shower on the driver's side. My major concerns were heat generation and noise by placing it under the bed.

For the last few days I have been individually topping off the LifeBlue batteries before final installation of the battery set. In the early phases of battery charging with current limited to the Multiplus allowing around 60 amps to go the battery, the fans were running continuously and a fair amount of heat was generated in the closet. So I am going to put some grills in the closet door to allow for air circulation.

Bottom line, I am really glad I did try to install that inverter under the bed. First, the Multiplus II is too tall to install it in the vertical position, so an all ready unventilated area under the bed is going to really heat up that unit when it is on its side. And then there is the fan noise.

I now have the Multiplus and LifeBlue installed on the drivers side and beginning the process of removing the original electrical system still in place on the curb side.

goldenchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Will the Multiplus fit in the front storage area where the original inverter is located?
Old 10-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Georgetown , Texas
Victron Multiplus-II 2 X 120v Hum/Fan

To the OP. I just finished installing a Multiplus II, 600 watts solar along with 5 Battleborn batteries in my 2013 27FB. I also added temperature controlled fans to aid in cooling when needed. I put everything under the bed and ran com cables to the storage compartment above the fridge that includes a BMV, GX Display and Multi Control. The storage areas were filled with things we hardly used, not to mention the front storage area is difficult to get to from the outside.

Regarding noise. Yes, the Multiplus II does make quite a bit of noise when charging and inverting especially under heavy loads. There’s also an annoying buzz from the charger as the unit hits float mode. It’s a random buzz as it attempts to keep the battery bank at its set float voltage based on DC usage. I have made inquiries with the retailer and Victron trying to determine if this amount of “float noise” is normal. All that said, if you have a Cerbo/GX device connected to the Multiplus II and or a Multi Control, you can effectively turn off the charger when connected to shore power by setting the Multi Control to “Charger Only” and dialing the “Current Limit” to “0”. This turns off the charging function of the Multi while allowing full pass thru of shore power.

Overall I’m happy with the capabilities of the Multiplus II but am disappointed by the noise. I’m hoping Victron will have a firmware update to deal with some of the noise anomalies I as well as others are experiencing. Luckily there are options to silence it when needed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2683.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	407126Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	407127
dsaxon22 is offline   Reply With Quote