Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

1968 30' Sovereign
cincinnati , Ohio
vent fan dimmer switch

I have a 68 Sovereign. One of the vent fans was not working, I removed the switch and found that it was broken; the wire from the coil to the terminal was broken and the hot lead terminal itself had snapped apart.

I know it is 12 volt DC, maybe around 4 amps.

What I cannot seem to do - after 45 minutes of searching these threads and going to many online parts places for Airstream, as well as calling auto parts stores, my 2 local RV dealers, and a marine store - again, what I cannot seem to do is find a replacement switch!

Please - sell me or tell me where I can get a switch... sorry to be so desparate - but my local rv dealer told me to go to home depot and get a regular dimmer! I am no electrician - but that is plain dumb!

Thank you,
Jim
jimirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Is it an original vent fan or a fantasic fan

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimirwin View Post
I have a 68 Sovereign. One of the vent fans was not working, I removed the switch and found that it was broken; the wire from the coil to the terminal was broken and the hot lead terminal itself had snapped apart.

I know it is 12 volt DC, maybe around 4 amps.

What I cannot seem to do - after 45 minutes of searching these threads and going to many online parts places for Airstream, as well as calling auto parts stores, my 2 local RV dealers, and a marine store - again, what I cannot seem to do is find a replacement switch!

Please - sell me or tell me where I can get a switch... sorry to be so desparate - but my local rv dealer told me to go to home depot and get a regular dimmer! I am no electrician - but that is plain dumb!

Thank you,
Jim
All you need is a single pole double throw, with a center off switch.

You will also need a resistor so that you can select either full or partial speed.

A regular dimmer, your correct, is dumb.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

1968 30' Sovereign
cincinnati , Ohio
it is original.

Thank you Andy - always great info!
jimirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiamold View Post
Or get a solder gun and solder the loose wire back to where it came off of -_-. its really simple just be willing to learn!

A regular dimmer switch rated for more amp's than the fan draws would be more than sufficient and it would allow for speed control.

the YMCA that I work out at just installed 2 ceiling fans and both use dimmer switches, just make sure they have the AMPERAGE that you need and them sum.

If the fan is 5amps get one for at least 8 amps, best the fan burn up than your switch and trailer!!

Here's one i found using Google

Lutron Rotary Dimmers
Dimmers for homes operate on AC voltage.

The ceiling fans in Airstreams since 1965, all run on DC.

That's why a fixed 10 watt wire wound resistor is used for speed control.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote