Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
eckert , Colorado and Mexico
various shorts solved, few minor questions

Hi All,
I've been lurking here for a few months and solved my electrical problems * I think* from the great threads in this forum, Thanks!
I have a 74 , 31 ft Sovereign.
History
I was getting a direct short to ground. Investigation found 1. a bad connection at the neg to battery fuse holder. 2. 110v short at AC 3. direct short of light fixture wire under light fixture to alum cut out 4. stuck fan at front vent 5. crushed wires in ceiling. ( Yes, I took the ceiling center panels out just to be positive there were not more shorts) 6. possible bad unsoldered splices by PO. behind ceiling panel 7. damaged tv antenia wires
btw, for anyone removing the center ceiling panel, it is hard to get out in one piece and not a fun project on a hot day. I ended up cutting mine in 3 pieces and will replace with new panels.

Univolt is the type with trailer bat and tow vehicle bat input on the left and 4 12v fused circuts on the right. It is located at bottom of bath closet between tub and trailer side wall. My knees hurt and my back aches

These problems , electrical, not my back, are all resolved, after 3 days with a digital multi meter.

Questions -
1. 110v shore power works fine, 110v are going to the univolt. With the bat. not connected, 12v do not come from the univolt ( only tested with a weak bat. ) Is all the juice going to trying to charge the bat at this point? or is univolt shot? ( planning on replacing it anyhow) With a bat. charger hooked up, 12v works fine.
2. where can i get a wiring diagram?
3. where can I get a tech manual? I have the small 30 page owners manual only.
4. Where is the switch for the front vent fan?
5. The 110v circuit breakers, 2, feed the ac, the oulets and the hwh. I have not investigated this yet as it is even harder to get at, as it is located above the hwh cabinet in the rear. I did notice that the breakers are jumped together on the power out end. Is this normal? Seems self defeating.
6. I will be replacing the ceiling lights with leds that only have a 10% voltage variation allowance. I have read that the univolt puts out 18-19 volts. a. do the new converters put out that much? b. Is the solution simply to install a voltage regulator in line on the light circuits? If so, are these readily available ( sorry, I haven't done my research on these yet)

Thanks!

Richard
richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Anyone?

I've ordered an intel convertor, so that solves that problem.

but still need wiring diagrams...

2. where can i get a wiring diagram?
3. where can I get a tech manual? I have the small 30 page owners manual only.
4. Where is the switch for the front vent fan?

Thanks!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
HEy Rich, try
Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO BOX 484
Sidney Oh. 45365
1-937-492-8885

Bob
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
HEy Rich, try
Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO BOX 484
Sidney Oh. 45365
1-937-492-8885

Bob
Helen should be able to provide a service manual.

The switch on my '72 is apparently in the vent itself - when I raise the vent the fan comes on. Microswitch of some sort .
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Thanks!

I'll contact Helen.

No wonder I could find a switch! I think I'll add one, just in case it gets stuck again, I'll know it is at least "off".