Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 06:36 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One other issue with any analysis like this is how you do the accounting. Is something that pays back in a month worth doing? Most would say yes. I have been in places that anything over 9 months payback went into the "not going to happen" bucket. For some folks, an AS is a 10 to 20 year sort of thing.

So: what's the "horizon" in this case? We are talking about stuff that may well have a 20 year life.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I bought a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase last year, with a 6’ extension cord, and I love it.

If I have a water source and pit toilet, plus the solar suitcase, I can go many days before needing to move.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablerocked View Post
I’m an electrical engineer and I’m having a hard time justifying the enormous cost of solar vs the fairly low power return, especially in my area where our camping will be in heavily wooded areas.
. . .
Wondering if you [OP] are following this discussion? Your post count remains at "6" . . . and these 6 posts were all on 5/16/21.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT --
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
. . .
. . . I leave the radio playing to discourage mice.
. . .
. . . and you find that this helps?

Interesting . . . white noise search results:
https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...4dUDCA0&uact=5

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you [OP] are following this discussion? Your post count remains at "6" . . . and these 6 posts were all on 5/16/21.

Thanks,

Peter
Hi

If he has the fridge that I *think* he may in his shiny new toy ( ... only clear when it gets here in July .... ) he may find that 200AH of lithium isn't going to keep him going for very long at all.

If you always camp in the dark and pull 120AH a day (fridge plus all the other stuff), for a 5 day run you would need > 600 AH of batteries. Call it $4,000 of add on. They are going to take up more than a little bit of room in the trailer ....

Bob
Old 05-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
OT --

. . . and you find that this helps?

Interesting . . . white noise search results:
https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...4dUDCA0&uact=5

Thanks,

Peter

Yes,
I leave traps just inside the door and check them once a week. I used to catch 2-3 mice over the winter but once I started leaving the radio playing I haven’t caught any mice.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:

Thanks,

Peter
Well, he said he would be camping in "heavily wooded" campsites, mostly with hookups and most respondents ignored those two basic facts and explained why they went with a full solar array with lithium is the best option and why it makes the most sense for everyone. I might tune out if it was me.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Well, he said he would be camping in "heavily wooded" campsites, mostly with hookups and most respondents ignored those two basic facts and explained why they went with a full solar array with lithium is the best option and why it makes the most sense for everyone. I might tune out if it was me.
Hmmmm . . .

PS -- thanks AldeanFan.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Hi

There's deep woods and there's a dark cave. Even in "deep woods" we get solar to some degree. We pretty much never camp "out in the open".

If you pop in with your first couple posts as "I don't have a trailer yet, but I think you all are crazy". Just what sort of response would you expect?

Bob