Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Setting up the satellite

Took delivery last week and since then the wife is trying to make her nest in the kitchen. I have ordered two of honda's EU2000I's from Mayberry with the parallel kit should be here next week. Now the only thing left to do before we go on our first trip is to get the satellite up and running. I have a dish, tripod, and extra home reciever upstairs that works and we never use. The AS has the audio/visual package with the single flat screen. I can see just simply put the dish on a tripod hook up some RG6 from that to the trailer but what I'm not sure about is how does the picture get to the flat screen with the existing hookup? Doing a search and reading the posts looks like we will also need a siglal finder.
In advance
Thanks for the help
Alan
PS this website is great
inflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

dish vs dirrect

lnb is a low noise block down converter. if you have a dish with 2 lnbs' from dish network it will not work on a 2 lnb system as the ofset between the 2 lnb's are different.it will work for one satellite or the other but not for both at the same time. you can use either rg59 or rg 6 but the 6 is better. 59 will be just fine for 20 feet or so... they do have a self tuning dish on the market now but it is $1500 with a 12 volt receiver.
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #23

Satilite connections???

I have a 1987 Sovereign, my antena works great and the power booster also. I tried to hook up a dish ( Direct ) outsideto the connection point and i get no signal inside when I run the cabl through the door it works great. I do have a 90% signal Where does the outside coax run to inside? Or do i need to swap wires in the wall behind the power booster. It does not seem to come into the bed room either. Does any one know where I can start at? Thanxx Duxx
duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
My satelite dish will not feed through the existing cable outlet. I talked with others that had dishes and they had the same problem. The answer was to install a dedicated line from the dish to the reciever. I did this by drilling a hole in the refrigerator space into the galley. I ran the dish coax along with the cb coax behind the dinnette. It works, I don't know why it won't work through the cable line but it wouldn't in my case.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Those little Sat finder meters work great.
Link please? Thanks.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

if you remove the wire from the amplifier in the coach you can use it as your dish feed
Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
http://www.channelmaster.com/
I have found the Model 10041FD to be an easy to use and very accurate Satellite Signal Level Meter. Many of us in our club use this model because it is so easy to use. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Yes, Tarheel, that is a great help, thanks.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
http://cgi.ebay.com/Channel-Master-1...QQcmdZViewItem

way less than half price take a look
Old 08-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #30
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Here's another DTV question for you?????

I have a new DirectTV Tivo set up in the house, and an old DTV set up not being used. Can I pull the new card and put it in the old receiver? Anybody done this before?

Tikiman
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I doubt the card swap will work, but it's worth a try.

We've been using an ancient (2001) DirecTiVo on the road full-time for about 115 days now. Some things I've learned from experience:

1. Many kinds of obstructions will cause few problems, but wet leaves will get you every time. A few leaves are ok, but wet ones are serious trouble.

2. The best way to line up the dish is to get the angles from the DirecTV website. Get a good compass, and make sure you corect for magnetic declination. Make sure you take your bearing far from any magnetic fields. MY DISH IS STRONGLY MAGNETIC ITSELF!! It disturbs a compass enough that the bearing reading is worthless within 4 feat or so of the dish.

3. A signal finder is a great help, but they have no idea which signal they might be seeing. If you aren't pretty close with the compass already (3-4 degrees), you stand a good chance of honing in on the wrong satellite. So it will help a lot to have someone watching the unit while you work the finder to make sure you're on the right one.

4. The cable/antenna wiring that came with our 2005 CCD works fine with a dish, but you have to jump the connections so that the antenna amp is out of the loop. Even so, we had the guys at the factory add a new dual socket to ours at Jackson Center because TiVo needs two LNBs for full functionality.

5. With DirecTV, it's easy to accidentally get on the wrong satellite, yet still get high signal strength. You need to check the strength on transponders 1,2 and 17 to be sure.

Wes
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
the card is married to your reciever. Sorry to tell you that. I have a similar situation. It will only work on the one it is set up to work on.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
How to use meter?

After purchasing the satellite meter off of e-bay, I'm confused about how to use it. One input says 'dish input' so I'm assuming this the cable from the dish. The other is for a energy input. Apparently this thing requires power. Any ideas on how to use it?

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I just purchased a Winegard satellite meter. I do not have the instructions with me, but I actually read through them (well... scanned through them). I have not used it yet, but it is my understanding that the receiver supplies the power to the meter, which would lead me to believe the energy input should be connected to the receiver.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dish goes to dish, and yes, the IRD supplies power to the meter and dish. There should be a backlight that comes on in the meter movement, when it is receiving power from the IRD.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Thanks for the tips

You guys are the best. No wonder the Airstream 'mother-ship' pays such attention to this forum. No matter what the topic, I can come here and get the answer. Thanks again!!

We're off to travel the state parks of Texas this weekend and I wanted to be sure that watching college football is an option.

Mitch
Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Do all Airstreams have an Amplifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
if you remove the wire from the amplifier in the coach you can use it as your dish feed
From this quote, I'm not sure if we have an amplifier in our AS. Our '75 Excella 500 appears to have a cable input/output on the streetside of the TT. I've not been able to get the Directv working and was wondering if there is something that I need to do to the outlet.

Mitch
Old 10-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

lnb is a low noise block down converter. a single lnb unit from either company will work on each other but a dueal lnb or a triple will not work with each other.there is a different ofset from direct tv to dish, also the third lnb on a direct tv unit is for hi def and not the same as the others. you can get a nice winegard unit that is a crank up for $150 on e-bay works much better than a tripod....
Old 10-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

you have an powerd amp on the batwing..it is connected to the cig lighter adapter near the sink.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I bought the meter but I rarely use it. I just get close with compass and quadrant. I can almost find signal anyhwhere. Some times my wife helps by standing in the door and yelling better-worse no better. I sometime pick my site by my view of the southren sky. Trees are a pain but planning ahead will help you avoid them. I also carry about 200 feet of coax.Make sure your dish is compatable with your programming. Some of the dishes now have 2 and 3 LNB mounted on them., They are for specific programing. I just went to Best Buy and bought an identical dish to the one on my house. I took 1 of my 3 recievers in the trailer with me and I'm set. No more non NASCAR Sundays. I mounted the dish on a 3x3 piece of plywood and it stays put quite well. I sometimes clamp it to a picnic table or stake it to the ground.Make sure it is level. Good Luck,
Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote