Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Using ground for circuit negative instead of dedicated neg

Hey folks -- just wondering if there are any risks to using the chassis for sending a large amount of current from the front to the back of the trailer.

Don't cars and trucks do this with the alternator and the starter? Just use the chassis ground for the negative?

I have a new tow vehicle and I am hooking up an Anderson connector with 1/0 cable to send many many amps back to the trailer. I've also moved my batteries to the axle area and I'm trying to decide if I need to run a dedicated positive AND negative or just the positive, using the chassis for the negative.

I was doing this with my last tow vehicle (on the tow vehicle side) and it sure does work fine. Not sure how smart it is but I believe that I previously decided it was OK based on the starter and alternator using the chassis for ground. Just want to think it through again now that I am rewiring the battery bank and a new tow vehicle.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
If you're power source is coming from the TV to the trailer, I would run both to the trailer, then you could use the frame to continue. I would definitely put some heavy duty ground straps from one side of the frame to the other so you don't run into poor ground issues. Long wheelbase trucks will utilize a large ground strap to jump over to the opposite side (of the batteries) frame rail as almost everything is chassis ground
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote