Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
using 2 30 amp cords

Is it save to use 2 25 foot 30 amp cords plugged together? If so how do I protect the connection from rain and possible standing water? If not how do I solved the problem of being 27 foot from the electric pole?

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've done it as needed but the weather was dry so didn't need to worry about it. BUT, in a pinch some plastic and good 'ole duct tape would be my solution. If real wet I'd elevate the junction with anything I could find. Shouldn't be a big problem to figure something out.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Furrion makes longer #10 AWG cords, for instance this 30' :

http://furrion.com/product/power-cor...-30ft-black-2/

As long as you are not running every 120-volt appliance full tilt, the extra 5' should not be a problem IMO, but you should also consider the wire gauge feeding the outlet on the pole, and its distance from your electrical panel.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Roger said. I don't even tape them, water gets in anyway, but unless the connection is under water it is fine. I wouldn't go out messing with it without the breaker shut off, but it is fine. Done it quite a few times over the years. Non-event.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
30 Amp Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Is it save to use 2 25 foot 30 amp cords plugged together? If so how do I protect the connection from rain and possible standing water? If not how do I solved the problem of being 27 foot from the electric pole?
You will need an RV 30 amp extension cord. CW has them on sale now for about $35.

The female end of the extension is configured so that you can plug in the male end of your regular 30 amp cord. **Two identical 30 amp cords won't work as the female end (that normally plugs into the trailer) is a different configuration (twist to lock) than the female on the park pedestal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Plug - Pedestal.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	271616
RV Extension Cord Male Plug / Female Receptacle
Note the different configuration from the female end of your RV main power cord below.

Name:   Trailer Power Cord Female End.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  23.1 KB
RV Power Cord - Female (Trailer End)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Receptacle.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	271617
Trailer End - Male Receptacle
Old 09-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
As long as one is an extension cord. Should be no problem. Get the junction up off the ground a little, set on a couple leveling blocks works well. Cover the top with a plastic bag. You can fold the bag into the edges below the top block then lock the top block down
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Get a large plastic jar or other lidded container (think a deep take-out salad container) or Tupperware. Cut a slit ending in a hole the diameter of your cords in opposite sides and place your junction in the container and snap shut.

Voila
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Big ole Tidy Cats kitty litter bucket with the hinged lid-
Cut holes in the top edge of the bucket just under the lid for the cord to enter and exit the bucket-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Get a marine extension cord which has a twist lock connector at each end. You can then add a collar (sleeve) to where your RV cord connects to the marine cord to make it waterproof and more secure.

Marinco makes both the cord and the collar:
http://www.marinco.com/en/products/c...ordsets/30-amp
http://www.marinco.com/en/products/c...lars-and-rings

Fairly pricey but addresses the waterproofing concern. I believe that anything labeled marine is pricier than a similar item labeled RV. Also allows one to connect to a Honda Companion generator without needing an adapter.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I've done it as needed but the weather was dry so didn't need to worry about it. BUT, in a pinch some plastic and good 'ole duct tape would be my solution. If real wet I'd elevate the junction with anything I could find. Shouldn't be a big problem to figure something out.
If you elevate the connection too high the electricity won't be able to flow and you will have an outage. Also try to be sure the trailer is lower than the electric source for the same reason.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If you elevate the connection too high the electricity won't be able to flow and you will have an outage. Also try to be sure the trailer is lower than the electric source for the same reason.
I do hope you said that in jest!

I camped in UP on Lake Superior in a city campground and it rained that night. The next morning there was 8" of water under the trailer and my pigtail to extension cable connection was under water! Everything in the trailer including the A/C worked. We were on sand and it was completely drained in 3 hours, but, I did not go near the cable connection or box until the water subsided.

My pigtail is attached and not very long so I occasionally need another 3'-10' to reach the box. I had a spare 25' cable I cut it down and made a 10' and a 15'. I now carry a 25' and a 10' so when I only need 5' I don't have 25' of cable coiled at the box.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
You had me going there for a second or two. Along the same line, many years ago, being a newbie on staff in a Georgia Power Co. plant, I had the dubious pleasure of conducting plant tours. One day a pretty teacher and her 6th grade class were on the roof with me overlooking the plant site when she spied our huge bunker C storage tanks. She announced to the class that must be where we stored the electricity.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Thanks for all of the responses, they confirm what I was thinking

Gary

ps: I always make sure my electric is running downhill, that way it stays on longers if there is an outage
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
I have an older AS so my 20' shore line often doesn't reach the post, and my extra cord is a 30 amp 50' one. The problem can be the connection between the two, but I wrap it in a baggie and tape it closed. Usually lay in on the ground, but at the Lewisburg WV International this year there was 4" of water running under our trailer during the 1000 year flood. The good news was the power had gone out in the neighborhood so nothing spectacular happened to my power connection. In the morning I dried out the connection, rebagged it, and put it on top of a kitty litter bucket to raise it about 14" off the ground.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
I have an older AS so my 20' shore line often doesn't reach the post, and my extra cord is a 30 amp 50' one. The problem can be the connection between the two, but I wrap it in a baggie and tape it closed. Usually lay in on the ground, but at the Lewisburg WV International this year there was 4" of water running under our trailer during the 1000 year flood. The good news was the power had gone out in the neighborhood so nothing spectacular happened to my power connection. In the morning I dried out the connection, rebagged it, and put it on top of a kitty litter bucket to raise it about 14" off the ground.
That is exactly what we did at DuQuoin a few years back except used a spare chock instead of a kitty litter bucket. We have also encountered post doors that would not stay on with the 30 amp cord attached. A tall kitchen trash bag over the whole post takes care of that.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
There will be a loss in power the longer the cord and this is amplified by connections.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote