Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Rio Medina , Texas
Using 1 Yamaha generator

New to this, I have an 09 International...wondering if I can use one Yamaha 2000is generator...pretty sure I need two if I want to run the air...but, am I correct in thinking that I can use only one Yamaha generaor if I only use the furnace, tv, microwave and lights...at least until winter is over...

Also, would I use an adaptor for the shoreline since the connections wont allow plugin of the shoreline as is...

Thanks
Jack
TXMYTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Depends on if you want to run everything at one time. Have you already obtained the Yamaha? If not and if your AC is small enough a 2400is might be enough to cover your needs. Provided that you dont try to run everything at once.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
You can probably run furnace, lights, & tv but, not microwave.

Microwaves pull 8-9 amps.

I bought a Yamaha 2400 so that I could handle my 13500btu a/c unit.

Only problem, it weighs 70-74lbs + 12 lbs for gasoline. It is a bit heavier than I like to lift and is bulky as well.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
I agree with Gen Disarray. The 2400IS works for me as long as I watch what I am running at the same time. As an added benefit, I have my 2400IS running on propane so that I don't have to mess with gasoline.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Rio Medina , Texas
Hello Rodney...thanks for your reply...

No, I haven't bought the generator yet, but planning to in the next couple of days....

Don't really see a reason to run everything at once...but likely several at tge same time...such as TV, air and maybe frig and light...but of course, the configuration can be cut to only what's needed...

But, I have a concern about whether the Yamaha 2400 would have enough power to start and manintain the air...any idea...

Again, thanks...

Jack (Texas My Texas)
TXMYTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMYTX View Post
But, I have a concern about whether the Yamaha 2400 would have enough power to start and manintain the air...any idea...
(Texas My Texas)
Its really a matter of how large your AC is. I think there is pretty much consensus that the 2400 can pull the smaller (13,500) ACs. My experience has been that my 2400 handled my old AC fine and it should have no problem with the new 13500 Carrier low profile I just installed.

There may be an augment for for the linking of two units together if you are expecting to run the AC off the gen for extended periods of time, but to be frank, thats beyond my firm understanding. You can search the forums and read about that.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
_

. , .
the 13,500 and 15,000 btu a/c units used as OEM (dometic/duotherm)

require BASICALLY the the same amps...the SAME amps.

the differences in these 2 sizes are squirrel cage fan and cooling coil size...

not power requirements.

in fact considering TOTAL energy usage, the 15,000 may actually use LESS juice IF it cycles ON less frequently.

the NEXT size smaller a/c units do take less juice, for example the 11,000 btu size.

while there ARE reports of "using" 2000 or 2400 watt gensets with the 13.5/15k btu units....

NO one is discussing how this SHORTENs the AC unit's life or the genset...

duo/dometic suggestions (see their website) 4000-4500 watts as the MINiMUM genset for RELIABLE ac usage....

the o.p. is thinking about doing 2 paralleled gens and THAT's a good idea for ALL of the larger ac units...

but ONE will run ALL the other stuff just not ALL at the same time.

and YES an adapter is need for the 15/20 amp genset plug to connect the 30 amp rv line...

the NEW honda 2000 companion model some WITH a 30 amp plug...

but a 30amp/to/30 amp adapter is still needed but for other reasons...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Utee94 makes the following point in another thread
Quote:
If the concern is the steady state running voltage for the sake of your compressor's health, then a spike at startup should not affect that issue. So in other words, if for example a Yamaha 2400W system can withstand the startup spike in current/power consumption, then when it comes to steady state running power, the maximum that my 15K BTU A/C unit pulls down is spec'd at 1.6KW. This is comfortably below the rated wattage of 2KW for this compressor, and FAR below the peak supply power of 2.4KW. So if the compressor can withstand the startup event, then it should not endanger the compressor beyond that, even with some lights running. I would say that if you want to run a microwave and/or hair dryer, then you should either turn off the A/C or get a bigger generator. But everything I'm looking at is telling me that if a 2.4KW genny can withstand that peak current at A/C startup, then it should be able to power the A/C at a steady state without much trouble.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
_

. , .
followed by the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
...So that's the theory, on paper...
again the o.p. doesn't have a CARRIER ac and is asking about 2000 watt gensets initially NOT 2400s...

also the manufacturer of the ac unit AND the genset makers have OTHER theories "on paper"...

no doubt they are In cahoots to get US to buy excessively sized gensets and support the militaryindustrial complex..

by all means USE your new ac with marginal power and keep us informed of the results...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

by all means USE your new ac with marginal power and keep us informed of the results...

cheers
2air'
I will. I am not a link collector so I am having trouble finding the link tonight, however, I did read a lengthy independent user load test with the 2400. It was fairly compelling that the load from an 13,500 was well within the abilities of the generator. I might see if I can find it again tomorrow. If someone else feels a sense of urgency, by all means Google away to your hearts content.

I wouldn't claim that that the genset doesn't work hard running the unit, it clearly does. Having said that, going by the numbers on Carrier and Yamaha websites, in addition to the reports of others, and my personal experience I am of the opinion that the Yamaha is capable of running the AC safely.

The only real issue is that because the generator has to work hard, it is not as quiet as I would like. Because I rely on the Yamaha to run the AC so infrequently this is a trade off I feel comfortable with.

On edit: Carrier low profile 13,500: full load amps =13.4 ( about 2200 watts) running watts = 1,500. Yamaha 2400is peak output = 2,400 watts, rated output 2,000 watts. 16.7 amps at 120 V.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Cut off by the time limit on edits

the full edit for the previous post..

On edit:
Carrier low profile 13,500: full load amps =13.4 ( about 2200 watts) running watts = 1,500. Yamaha 2400is peak output = 2,400 watts, rated output 2,000 watts. 16.7 amps at 120 V.

These are not theoretical numbers, they are empirical. The numbers fall within the parameters for both start up and running. The margin at start up is smaller, however, as explained below start up is not the critical issue. After start up,event running at full capacity there is a margin of 25% of the generators capacity. That isn't marginal.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Three quick points:
1. propane is great when it works but really sucks at high altitude. what's high altitude for an RV generator? Check the owner's manual -- the one we read in Ketchum, Idaho, this past mid-October said anything over 2,000 feet is high altitude. We were reading this guy's owner's manual before he rented a gas-powered portable generator to keep his Airstream's batteries charged.

2. we use a gasoline Yamaha 1000 when our solar panels don't send enough for our batteries to store. Best advantage is portability -- it weighs only 27 pounds so I can swing it off the tailgate without problem and place it where I want. We did switch to a 2 gallon steel safety gas can (with spring-loaded cap and fire suppression screen). And of course we cannot run microwave or roof A/C. But we can run everything else in the trailer, all at once if we wanted. Because the generator is rated for the full load amps (no locked rotor amps apply here) of the power converter/charger for the trailer, and that's our load.

3. you guys have a nice discussion going on running amps and all that. But I haven't seen anyone mention locked rotor amps (lra rating) yet. This is the hard part for the generator if it is sized a little marginally for the loads. It may have the right output to run the appliance, but you gotta start it first and the starting load, or lra, is pretty tough to overcome.

Just My 2 cents worth,
Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have the 11,000 BTU air conditioner and a Yamaha 2400 generator; Most everything has been said, except that it has two handles, for two people to carry.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have the 11,000 BTU air conditioner and a Yamaha 2400 generator; Most everything has been said, except that it has two handles, for two people to carry.
Me too.

But I just bought a Honda 2000 to use when we don't need A/C.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I was at the local Honda dealer last week looking at the new EU3000i model. It comes with wheels and a handle. Very compact and not too bad to lift out of the back of my truck. With the wheels and handle you don't have to carry it, just roll it around. I need a back up for my house to run freezer and fridge in case of power outage as well as way to run my AC when my trailer is down on my farm and the 3000w should work nicely. Only negative is the price. I haven't looked at the various online sites but will.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My 2400is will not run my 13,500 dometic.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
3. you guys have a nice discussion going on running amps and all that. But I haven't seen anyone mention locked rotor amps (lra rating) yet. This is the hard part for the generator if it is sized a little marginally for the loads. It may have the right output to run the appliance, but you gotta start it first and the starting load, or lra, is pretty tough to overcome.
The actual starting amps required are somewhere between the full load (FLA) and locked rotor (LRA) ampere draw, and are weather dependent. Higher ambient temperatures increase the starting amp and running amp requirements.

On the other hand most modern inverter generators can deliver extremely large surge currents compared to conventional designs.

I'm not sure that I buy into the idea that running A/C with a full-load amp draw of 80%-90% of generator capacity will reduce the lifespan of either. A modern inverter generator has excellent voltage regulation so the running voltage should be right in the pocket regardless of load, and the A/C shouldn't be able to tell the difference. As long as the A/C starts OK there shouldn't be a problem.

On the generator side, the question becomes: what limits the useful life of a generator. As long as there is sufficient cooling air and the electronics are kept clean, the life of the gasoline engine should be limiting, and the engine should last more than 1000 hours. The higher RPMs and higher torque associated with an 85% load will shorten the life of the engine, but the $$ per hour are unlikely to double, making it a money losing choice to run two generators with wear and tear on each one.

Besides, experience is that generators are rarely removed from service due to wear and tear from frequent or prolonged use. Loss of confidence due to age, unavailability of service parts, cumulative damage due to exposure to weather, or a changing use case are more common scenarios.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok folks back to the original question here. You getting side tracked. There is a thread for arguments...

To answer the original question. Yes the Yamaha 2000 will do what you want it to do. A 1000 may even do it if you don't run stuff together. You would have to look up the amperage of your microwave to make sure it would run that.

Now if you want to run the A/C the 2400 may do it. You would have to check your A/C

The Honda is also a great unit. The only dif is you can get the Yamaha with the propane kit installed. The honda you have to do it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
Land Yacht 2016

2016 28' Land Yacht
Rowayton , Connecticut
I have a 2400is and it is not always able to start the ac (11,000 BTU) on my Bambi. The new 2400ishc - high current may be able to work better. I just ordered another 2400is to run in parallel to take care of everything in my bambi. Be advised that the new 2400is's are hc models hat can't be used with a twin cable!!!!!!!!!
There are only a few 2400 is's left in the market place that can be used to parallel.
Great deals for twice the power when needed.
MSiek007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
My Yamaha 2400is runs my Dometic 15000 BTU AC and also ran my old coleman 13500 BTU AC along with minimal lights.
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote