Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Use/Store switch with Solar

I installled enough solar power to charge the batteries on my 27' FB without using the converter when hooked to shore power. I have 360 watts going into an MPPT controller with the correct size wire going from the controller directly to my batteries. I have been using the use/store switch by the door to set the system to store mode when I am camping with shore power because my converter does not have a 3 stage charger. Over the last 18 months two solenoid switches have failed while camping so that I had no power and was stuck in store mode when boon docking. Each time I jumped around the solenoid to get power from the batteries to the trailer so that I could continue camping. When it happened the first time I figured any switch can fail and replaced it with a new one. When it happened a few weeks ago for the second time I decided to take the solenoid apart to see if I could repair it. When I started to remove it I notice it was really hot and as I tapped on it it switched from store mode to use. So I went back to the switch by the door and checked it several times toggling back and forth from store/use with and without shore power. Now the switch and selonoid are working fine. So.... is it possible that having solar wired directly into the batteries by passing the converter is damaging the solenoid switch? I would rather not have to buy a new converter because my solar keeps the batteries topped without any charge from the converter. But it seems strange that I have had two events where the solenoid failed and this last time the solenoid was over heating. Have any of you guys had issues with the solenoid on you AS trailers?
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrockett View Post
I installled enough solar power to charge the batteries on my 27' FB without using the converter when hooked to shore power. I have 360 watts going into an MPPT controller with the correct size wire going from the controller directly to my batteries. I have been using the use/store switch by the door to set the system to store mode when I am camping with shore power because my converter does not have a 3 stage charger. Over the last 18 months two solenoid switches have failed while camping so that I had no power and was stuck in store mode when boon docking. Each time I jumped around the solenoid to get power from the batteries to the trailer so that I could continue camping. When it happened the first time I figured any switch can fail and replaced it with a new one. When it happened a few weeks ago for the second time I decided to take the solenoid apart to see if I could repair it. When I started to remove it I notice it was really hot and as I tapped on it it switched from store mode to use. So I went back to the switch by the door and checked it several times toggling back and forth from store/use with and without shore power. Now the switch and selonoid are working fine. So.... is it possible that having solar wired directly into the batteries by passing the converter is damaging the solenoid switch? I would rather not have to buy a new converter because my solar keeps the batteries topped without any charge from the converter. But it seems strange that I have had two events where the solenoid failed and this last time the solenoid was over heating. Have any of you guys had issues with the solenoid on you AS trailers?
I seriously doubt it! every one of my solar installations are wired so tha the output from tha MPPT solar controllers go directly to the battery terminals....as they should!

I also leave the use/store switch in it's original operational mode and have never had any reports of solenoid issues.

Best to look elsewhere for your solenoid issues.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
You replaced the relay more than once and a wiring error would not likely be intermittent

The only thing left is an intermittent use/store switch causing the latching circuit to fail, or a loose wire in the latching circuit.

A guess.

RC
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
What ever happened to the mystery of the relay solenoid??
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Please note that the standard use/store relay is mechanically latched. There is no electrical circuit to 'hold' the relay...

Internally the relay as a spring that holds the contacts closed when it is latched to the 'use' position. Its a clever mechanical design.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Another thought. The standard relay only needs to have it's coil momentarily energized to latch or unlatch it.

If the switch by the door has a sticking issue, that would explain the relay coil getting very hot.

Look into the condition of the use/store rocker switch on the panel near the door. If it is getting stuck in one position or the other for any length of time it will surely overheat the coil and cause it to burn out eventually...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Thanks. The switch by the door was sticking. In the future I will make sure it returns to the nuetral position.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote