Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
Drward
 
2020 27' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Use/Store Switch Problem

AS newbie: stored our AS Globetrotter 2020 after the first trip a month ago. Everything was turned off as far as we know. It has standard pre-installed batteries and a single solar panel. Went today to get it ready for next trip and couldnít get the Use/Store switch to turn back on, or any of the electric to work off the batteries. Iím sure Iím probably doing something wrong. Anyone know what I might be missing? I searched the forums but could not find any relevant threads. Thanks!
__________________

carpenwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Overkill Specialist
Commercial Member
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,744
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 52
Batteries are DEAD
__________________

GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Opinionated newb...
 
wave man's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 458
Itís often brought up that there is still a low level vampiric drain on the batteries when switched to store(detectors/fridge or other electronics)... Implying to me, that itís good for short term storing in this mode.

Solution seems to be to remove them and hook to a battery tender, or, plug in to shore power to achieve the same effect I believe.

Other- wiser Folks may chime in to verify.

Best of luck!
__________________
Men are but men, and the greatest men are they who soonest learn the simpler things. ROBERT E. HOWARD

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

 
2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 57
I connect mine to a battery tender when in storage (inside storage so solar doesn't help). When I have it outside (in front of the house) the solar keeps it well charged depending on 1) what I am doing with it and 2) cloud cover. If it is sunny, I am almost certainly good. If it is cloudy, I almost certainly am not after about 2-3 days of no real use.

If I were to leave it without a charger I would use a battery disconnect at the battery terminal - like they use on boats. Typically they are short 'double' posts that connect to the battery terminal on one end and the battery cable to the trailer connects to the other end (all the cables if there are more than one). THere is a knob in the middle. When you remove the knob, it interrupts the current and the batteries are disconnected without all the removing, etc. Most marine places sell them and I don't think there are brand names they are so common.

The good news is once you get your batteries charged (that is a different issue, but it needs to be done), they are OK. Even though they were discharged to zero and you will hear that they are forever dead, your trailer is new and hopefully your batteries are new. You can call Lifeline and talk to them but one discharge at the beginning of their life will not kill them. It doesn't help them but they are still OK. Ask me how I know!
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Is your trailer stored out in the open or under cover of some sort? If your trailer was in STORE mode, the only parasitic draw on the battery should have been the LP detector which for some reason is always on (makes no sense to me, if it goes off who is there to hear it if your trailer is stored??).

Don't know about the 2020, but on our 2019 Globetrotter the solar panels continue to charge the battery even when in STORE mode as our trailer is stored where it gets full sunlight. So unless you are storing your trailer in a dark place I'm surprised the batteries are dead. Our panels easily kept the battery charged 100% when stored.

When you were using the trailer before you stored it, did battery charge/discharge performance seem normal? Or were you always plugged into shore power?

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,062
I know exactly what your problem is. You blew a fuse. There is a small 5 amp fuse in the line to the Use/Store switch. The challenge will be locating it. Mine was in near the battery and inverter under the front bed.

This happened to me as well.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,675
Hi

As noted above, lots of possibilities.

1) How long was it stored?

2) Was it stored indoors or out in the sun?

3) What does the readout on the solar monitor say about voltage? Is it dead?

4) How well charged was the battery when you put things away?

The parasitic drains in the trailer take weeks to drain a fully charged battery. Leave on a light somewhere and that goes to days. Some stuff is on the use/store switch, other stuff is not.

Out in the sun, the solar should keep things going pretty much forever and ever. If you store outdoors and the battery is dead, your solar likely has a problem.

Some newer trailers have a full battery disconnect switch. Did that get thrown when you put things away? ...

Lots of possibilities

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Drward
 
2020 27' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks everyone for the replies! Really nice to know youíre all out there and willing to help.

Trailer is stored outside in SoCal. Weíve had some rainy days recently but plenty of sun too so I doubt the LP detector could have caused this unless solar isnít hooked up correctly. We have only ever used the rig on shore power, but everything worked fine then. I will check the fuse and try to determine battery status.
-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Is your trailer stored out in the open or under cover of some sort? If your trailer was in STORE mode, the only parasitic draw on the battery should have been the LP detector which for some reason is always on (makes no sense to me, if it goes off who is there to hear it if your trailer is stored??).

Don't know about the 2020, but on our 2019 Globetrotter the solar panels continue to charge the battery even when in STORE mode as our trailer is stored where it gets full sunlight. So unless you are storing your trailer in a dark place I'm surprised the batteries are dead. Our panels easily kept the battery charged 100% when stored.

When you were using the trailer before you stored it, did battery charge/discharge performance seem normal? Or were you always plugged into shore power?

Steve
carpenwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Caffeinated's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi


The parasitic drains in the trailer take weeks to drain a fully charged battery. Leave on a light somewhere and that goes to days. Some stuff is on the use/store switch, other stuff is not.


Bob
Not on our 2015 27ft FC. The original Interstate group 24 batteries drained to dead in ten days with the switch on store mode. Other potential parasitic draws include the inverter, sub-woofer, TVs, intertainment center. It all depends on how it was wired at the factory, on the day everything was connected.

I do agree that your solar should have been able to keep up with the discharge, seems like there might be a issue there.

Ultimately, to keep your batteries from discharging either physically disconnect the terminals, or install a true battery disconnect switch and use it.

Mike
__________________
2015 27ft FC FB
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Wolfwhistle
 
Wolfwhistle's Avatar
 
Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 532
This kind of thing is why I ditched the use/store switch and rewired; adding a battery cutoff switch. A dead battery in a few days to a few weeks while in store mode because of any parasitic load, including CO detector, means it really isn't in storage mode, is nonsense.
__________________
Ford and 23 FB IS
Wolfwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 452
Good comments in this thread. Since you mentioned you were new here is a suggested path to take:

1. Check the battery, as several mentioned it is likely dead, but maybe not. If you have multi meter, read the voltage across the posts. If you don't have a meter, try the power jack or jack light, it should be directly connected to the battery. Or check the solar display as others have suggested. The solar panel should also be connected directly to the battery bus bars.

2. If the battery has reasonable voltage (anything above 12 volts) then I would next look at the Use/Store Solenoid. They have two fuses that should not but can blow and the solenoid can sometimes fail.

After that thinks get a bit more complicated and more along the lines of miss wiring. So let's look at these other two possibilities first.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Not on our 2015 27ft FC. The original Interstate group 24 batteries drained to dead in ten days with the switch on store mode. Other potential parasitic draws include the inverter, sub-woofer, TVs, intertainment center. It all depends on how it was wired at the factory, on the day everything was connected.

I do agree that your solar should have been able to keep up with the discharge, seems like there might be a issue there.

Ultimately, to keep your batteries from discharging either physically disconnect the terminals, or install a true battery disconnect switch and use it.

Mike
Hi

Well, a factory solar setup should have a pair of group 27 AGM's on it. They give you 100AH to the 50% point.

A normal trailer will have a parasitic drain < 200 ma. (you can check that with a dirt cheap meter ...). That gets you 4.8 AH per day. In 10 days you have run through 50AH. You still have another 10 days to get to the 50% point, let alone "dead".

If your batteries die in 10 days, then either they were not charged fully when you put the trailer away, you left something major turned on, or your batteries are shot.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
Drward
 
2020 27' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Mystery solved

The good news - I know youíll all be relieved - is we did nothing wrong. Newbie cleared of all charges. Turns out the batteries were disconnected from the rig. Not sure if that was from the factory or something they did at the dealership. A simple reconnection and all seems to be working fine. Thanks everyone for your helpful comments and thoughtful insights.
carpenwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Caffeinated's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well, a factory solar setup should have a pair of group 27 AGM's on it. They give you 100AH to the 50% point.

A normal trailer will have a parasitic drain < 200 ma. (you can check that with a dirt cheap meter ...). That gets you 4.8 AH per day. In 10 days you have run through 50AH. You still have another 10 days to get to the 50% point, let alone "dead".

If your batteries die in 10 days, then either they were not charged fully when you put the trailer away, you left something major turned on, or your batteries are shot.

Bob
They were group 24s, no solar, and nothing was left on. The original interstates died completely after 13 months, one month out of warranty. I believed they were not maintained on the dealers lot. Replaced with Trojan wet cells also group 24, but a three year warranty. Also replaced the charger converter with a PD multi stage unit, and started physically disconnecting the batteries at the posts while in storage. Have had no problems since doing that.

Mike
__________________

__________________
2015 27ft FC FB
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use/store switch problem submirj 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 8 10-22-2018 02:13 PM
Power outage while on batteries (Flipping use/store switch restored power) TwoSporks Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 11 12-13-2016 11:06 AM
Use/Store switch, clarification when using shore power. crazylev Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 10 08-05-2016 05:19 AM
Store/use switch and charging B25guy Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 21 07-05-2010 02:52 PM
"Store-Use" SWitch Rleirer 2003 Safari 10 04-17-2003 02:07 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.