Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Use/Store switch, clarification when using shore power.

Hi all.

I'm wondering if you could double check my procedure using the USE/Store switch, and then connecting to shore (AC) power. I just want to make sure I haven't gone insane:

Arrive at storage place to load up trailer, I switch the trailer USE/Store switch to USE, red light on.

Hook up AS to car, get to campsite, pull out generator (or plug into provided shore power). Plug into power source, and done. I don't do anything else with USE/Store switch until returning to storage, then switch to Store before departing.

Is this correct? What I am wondering is once you plug in the trailer to shore power or generator, you don't have to press the USE button again, correct?

And assuming that this correct, when plugged into shore or generator, batteries should be on a slow continuous charge from converter, right?

Just want to make sure this is right since I started another thread and been going crazy trying to figure sort some issues out. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ml#post1829929

Thanks for your help.

JL
Old 08-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
You are correct. It is just a 12v disconnect so leave it on when in use.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Use/Store switch, clarification when using shore power.

The only peripheral issue is that the original built-in battery charger (convertor) in an Airstream tends to incorrectly charge the batteries.

You can manage this by regularly checking and refilling the batteries, or replacing OEM cheap one with a better convertor. That subject has been beaten to death on the forums time and time again. Search and read a few knock-down drag out threads on the subject....

Personally, having just discovered that my stock convertor has again fried a nice new set of heavy golf cart batteries, I'm going to get off my butt, do it right, and install the new convertor first, then replace the fried batteries.

I am an experienced design engineer, but sometimes I irritate myself...I know better, but don't always have time to do better. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. 😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks guys.

My original Parralax? converter died a few years back and I replaced it with a 3 stage converter from BestConverter.com. Seems fine but with my current issues not sure what is going on.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You are good to go then...we have replaced our original converter with a 3-stage as well... We leave the "use/store" switch on all the time, even when on shore power or generator. We store ours at home and plugged into 30-amp service so it's always on ... The only time we put it in "store" is if we are off shore power and want to cut power to the rig... like when we are leaving it at a service center for a while and don't want to batteries to run down while sitting there ...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Don't forget that when you place the Use/Store switch in the "Store" position the LP Gas Detector/Alarm is still drawing power (about 90 mA) and the batteries are not being charged. This is not a large drain but if storing over 2+ months I would recommend disconnecting the battery cables. Plus that way if the towing brake-away lanyard gets accidently pulled while in storage your electric brakes will not engage.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
Don't forget that when you place the Use/Store switch in the "Store" position the LP Gas Detector/Alarm is still drawing power (about 90 mA) and the batteries are not being charged. This is not a large drain but if storing over 2+ months I would recommend disconnecting the battery cables. Plus that way if the towing brake-away lanyard gets accidently pulled while in storage your electric brakes will not engage.
The stereo may also be a parasitic draw. It is on our '14 FC20 w/Sony.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
I believe the OP's original question has been answered, so I'd like to ask if anyone can share what happens when a factory solar system is added to the configuration?

Does the factory solar charge the batteries in both the use/store positions? Or does the switch need to stay in the "use" position at all times? Also, is the solar charger at all a concern, like the standard factory charge controller when connected to shore power?

Thanks,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Can't answer for factory solar. Our kit from AMSolar is connected direct to batteries, it charges no matter what use/store is set to.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Rich, the factory solar charges whether the switch is set to use or store, and there is no concern specifically with the solar controller if you stay plugged into shore power. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #11
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Thank you Joe!
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote