Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Question USB Outlet that supports Samsung Fast Charge

With spring coming we realized we need more usb charge capability.

My Galaxy S9+ supports fast charging.

This requires the USB source to be able to drive 9VDC @X current vs. 5VDC @X current.

We bought:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-rad...utlet/50253183

and I tested it, it doesn't support fast charging.

Most of the ones I've looked at all say in some form or another "fast charge" which in this case doesn't mean what Samsung requires it to mean.

It's the difference of charging a near dead phone in under an hour vs 3-5 depending.

Does anyone know of a USB Outlet that does support Fast Charge?

I've search Google high and low and most don't tell what the USB voltages are or they say some form of "Fast Charge for more devices" which isn't what I'm after.

I'm looking for this both on the AC side outlets and the 12VDC side for when there is no shore power.

Any help/pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I killed the USB outlet by my bed by plugging in an ipad and another device at the same time... while they were both charging, the USB port overheated and it slagged the cheap thing.

I replaced it with a Blue Sea 1045. I can't say what a Samsung device will think of it, but when I plug in my Pixel it says "Charging rapidly."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Thanks for the fast feedback.

I'm not sure how Pixel determine fast or not, I can only assume it is measuring the incoming current draw when it connects to it.

I see this for that recommended USB output:

5V DC ±5%

So that probably won't work. I've added a picture to show what the adaptive fast charging values are right from Samsung if that helps anyone to help me find a solution.

Thanks again

http://kittmaster.com/imagedump/misc/Samsung.jpg
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I don't understand. If you are look for a USB outlet that is powered by 120 vac for your fast charge, why not just buy a cube that plugs into an AC outlet and provides the fast charge voltage? Didn't your Samsung come with one?
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I don't understand. If you are look for a USB outlet that is powered by 120 vac for your fast charge, why not just buy a cube that plugs into an AC outlet and provides the fast charge voltage? Didn't your Samsung come with one?
Larry
Yes, it did, I just don't want to have to move the cubes around. It would be just easier to have dedicated cables in the trailer than having to pack em up every time we go somewhere.

This is more of a convenience thing than anything else.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Yes, it did, I just don't want to have to move the cubes around. It would be just easier to have dedicated cables in the trailer than having to pack em up every time we go somewhere.

This is more of a convenience thing than anything else.
Get a second fast charging cube and charge cord, one for the trailer, one for the house. That is what I did and the trailer one just stays plugged into a wall outlet powered by the inverter when we are not plugged in.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Understood. I have an old Crown Royal bag that I pack with cords and cubes for every trip, Airstream, car, or plane. I just throw the bag in the big drawer in the Airstream. Seems like the only way to have everything since my rechargeable flashlight requires a special cord, my laptop has to have its cube because normal USB voltage isn't enough, and so on.
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
go to a big box store and get a usb3 charger

make sure it has BLUE on the outlet

white is lowest out put, then black and Blue is the current fastest
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have some of these type smart chargers that will put out 2.4A at 5V. This one I think is compatible with the latest technology.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BF3OZ9W/ref=emc_b_5_i

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
A viable option might be for you to replace one of the USB outlets with a regular 12v accessory socket (like an old-school cigarette lighter) and plug something like this into it... almost flush, and easy to update with a newer-tech quick-charge item later:

https://www.amazon.com/AINOPE-Charge.../dp/B07XJTT9WG

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
A viable option might be for you to replace one of the USB outlets with a regular 12v accessory socket (like an old-school cigarette lighter) and plug something like this into it... almost flush, and easy to update with a newer-tech quick-charge item later:

Another thing to be aware of: Crappy USB cables can give you slow charging even on capable ports. My Pixel3 and its Pixel1 predecessor came with USB-C wall chargers so I wasn't using iffy USB-A to USB-C cables, but my partner's Samsung chargers are all USB-A outputs, and I noticed that some cheap cables (NOT the Samsung-provided ones) didn't deliver fast charging even on his newer Samsung chargers.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Another thing to be aware of: Crappy USB cables can give you slow charging even on capable ports. My Pixel3 and its Pixel1 predecessor came with USB-C wall chargers so I wasn't using iffy USB-A to USB-C cables, but my partner's Samsung chargers are all USB-A outputs, and I noticed that some cheap cables (NOT the Samsung-provided ones) didn't deliver fast charging even on his newer Samsung chargers.

Yes, the cable can make a difference. Before returning the outlets, use the cable that came with your Samsung and see if you still get the error message. I was getting the error when using the cigar lighter plug that had the USB outlets. I changed cables and no error.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
The cable I'm using is what came with the phone. When plugged into the cube, phone fast charges.

When I used same cable with adapter listed above, it was just "charging" not "fast charging".

It has to do with the 9V step and adaptive switch over. I guess a lot of current options don't support it.

Thanks for all the good feedback.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:

I agree with David. Another key advantage of installing this type of outlet: it is compatible with a huge array of devices designed to plug into it: more than USB type A; another key advantage, it's future proof, so in two years or less, when you get a new phone that has the newer USB Type C connection, you simply have to swap out your adapter, and in 5 more years, whatever type plug they are using then...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I agree with David. Another key advantage of installing this type of outlet: it is compatible with a huge array of devices designed to plug into it: more than USB type A; another key advantage, it's future proof, so in two years or less, when you get a new phone that has the newer USB Type C connection, you simply have to swap out your adapter, and in 5 more years, whatever type plug they are using then...
OP has a Samsung Galaxy S9+, so already using the USB-C connector. They started using that in the S8, but your point is valid. I can still use my old chargers but they are slow. Samsung, at least for the S8, included an adapter that slides over the micro-USB connection. All of the plug in chargers use standard USB connections so you can use different cables with them, regardless of the connector is on the phone end. Amazon offers the adapters too. I bought a box... now if I could only remember where I put them.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I ordered this and will be here tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It calls out S9 specifically, will report back if it works as expected.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Is that going to fit in the wall. It looks like it might be too deep.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #18
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I ordered this and will be here tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It calls out S9 specifically, will report back if it works as expected.
It will likely be too thick (deep) to fit in an Airstream wall.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I may be mistaken, but it appears that that outlet needs to be wired into your 110 system. This means it will only have power when you are plugged into shore power, unless you have something set up in your camper to run the 110 outlets through an inverter off of your battery.

Even in that case, it would be less efficient because your battery’s 12 V DC supply is being converted to 110 AC and then in the receptacle, back to DC again.

A cigarette lighter type outlet, on the other hand, will work both on shore power and directly off of your battery in the most efficient manner feasible, prolonging your battery life. And the adapter that David link to in the post above does specifically output a fast charge electrical current for your Samsung.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I may be mistaken, but it appears that that outlet needs to be wired into your 110 system. This means it will only have power when you are plugged into shore power, unless you have something set up in your camper to run the 110 outlets through an inverter off of your battery.

Even in that case, it would be less efficient because your battery’s 12 V DC supply is being converted to 110 AC and then in the receptacle, back to DC again.

A cigarette lighter type outlet, on the other hand, will work both on shore power and directly off of your battery in the most efficient manner feasible, prolonging your battery life.
I plan to have both types on board. We spend a lot time on grid at most of the places we stay, if not we have a generator otherwise.

I will be looking at the 12VDC version after I sort this one out for the 120 to USB charging.