Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 508
Question USB Outlet that supports Samsung Fast Charge

With spring coming we realized we need more usb charge capability.

My Galaxy S9+ supports fast charging.

This requires the USB source to be able to drive 9VDC @X current vs. 5VDC @X current.

We bought:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-rad...utlet/50253183

and I tested it, it doesn't support fast charging.

Most of the ones I've looked at all say in some form or another "fast charge" which in this case doesn't mean what Samsung requires it to mean.

It's the difference of charging a near dead phone in under an hour vs 3-5 depending.

Does anyone know of a USB Outlet that does support Fast Charge?

I've search Google high and low and most don't tell what the USB voltages are or they say some form of "Fast Charge for more devices" which isn't what I'm after.

I'm looking for this both on the AC side outlets and the 12VDC side for when there is no shore power.

Any help/pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Chris
__________________

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,524
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
I killed the USB outlet by my bed by plugging in an ipad and another device at the same time... while they were both charging, the USB port overheated and it slagged the cheap thing.

I replaced it with a Blue Sea 1045. I can't say what a Samsung device will think of it, but when I plug in my Pixel it says "Charging rapidly."
__________________

__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 508
Thanks for the fast feedback.

I'm not sure how Pixel determine fast or not, I can only assume it is measuring the incoming current draw when it connects to it.

I see this for that recommended USB output:

5V DC ±5%

So that probably won't work. I've added a picture to show what the adaptive fast charging values are right from Samsung if that helps anyone to help me find a solution.

Thanks again




http://kittmaster.com/imagedump/misc/Samsung.jpg
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,486
I don't understand. If you are look for a USB outlet that is powered by 120 vac for your fast charge, why not just buy a cube that plugs into an AC outlet and provides the fast charge voltage? Didn't your Samsung come with one?
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I don't understand. If you are look for a USB outlet that is powered by 120 vac for your fast charge, why not just buy a cube that plugs into an AC outlet and provides the fast charge voltage? Didn't your Samsung come with one?
Larry
Yes, it did, I just don't want to have to move the cubes around. It would be just easier to have dedicated cables in the trailer than having to pack em up every time we go somewhere.

This is more of a convenience thing than anything else.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
thewarden's Avatar

 
2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Yes, it did, I just don't want to have to move the cubes around. It would be just easier to have dedicated cables in the trailer than having to pack em up every time we go somewhere.

This is more of a convenience thing than anything else.
Get a second fast charging cube and charge cord, one for the trailer, one for the house. That is what I did and the trailer one just stays plugged into a wall outlet powered by the inverter when we are not plugged in.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,486
Understood. I have an old Crown Royal bag that I pack with cords and cubes for every trip, Airstream, car, or plane. I just throw the bag in the big drawer in the Airstream. Seems like the only way to have everything since my rechargeable flashlight requires a special cord, my laptop has to have its cube because normal USB voltage isn't enough, and so on.
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,840
go to a big box store and get a usb3 charger

make sure it has BLUE on the outlet

white is lowest out put, then black and Blue is the current fastest
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,128
I have some of these type smart chargers that will put out 2.4A at 5V. This one I think is compatible with the latest technology.



https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BF3OZ9W/ref=emc_b_5_i


Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,524
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
A viable option might be for you to replace one of the USB outlets with a regular 12v accessory socket (like an old-school cigarette lighter) and plug something like this into it... almost flush, and easy to update with a newer-tech quick-charge item later:

https://www.amazon.com/AINOPE-Charge.../dp/B07XJTT9WG
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,524
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
A viable option might be for you to replace one of the USB outlets with a regular 12v accessory socket (like an old-school cigarette lighter) and plug something like this into it... almost flush, and easy to update with a newer-tech quick-charge item later:

https://www.amazon.com/AINOPE-Charge.../dp/B07XJTT9WG
Another thing to be aware of: Crappy USB cables can give you slow charging even on capable ports. My Pixel3 and its Pixel1 predecessor came with USB-C wall chargers so I wasn't using iffy USB-A to USB-C cables, but my partner's Samsung chargers are all USB-A outputs, and I noticed that some cheap cables (NOT the Samsung-provided ones) didn't deliver fast charging even on his newer Samsung chargers.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,669
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Another thing to be aware of: Crappy USB cables can give you slow charging even on capable ports. My Pixel3 and its Pixel1 predecessor came with USB-C wall chargers so I wasn't using iffy USB-A to USB-C cables, but my partner's Samsung chargers are all USB-A outputs, and I noticed that some cheap cables (NOT the Samsung-provided ones) didn't deliver fast charging even on his newer Samsung chargers.

Yes, the cable can make a difference. Before returning the outlets, use the cable that came with your Samsung and see if you still get the error message. I was getting the error when using the cigar lighter plug that had the USB outlets. I changed cables and no error.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 508
The cable I'm using is what came with the phone. When plugged into the cube, phone fast charges.

When I used same cable with adapter listed above, it was just "charging" not "fast charging".

It has to do with the 9V step and adaptive switch over. I guess a lot of current options don't support it.

Thanks for all the good feedback.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 689
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
A viable option might be for you to replace one of the USB outlets with a regular 12v accessory socket (like an old-school cigarette lighter) and plug something like this into it... almost flush, and easy to update with a newer-tech quick-charge item later:

https://www.amazon.com/AINOPE-Charge.../dp/B07XJTT9WG
I agree with David. Another key advantage of installing this type of outlet: it is compatible with a huge array of devices designed to plug into it: more than USB type A; another key advantage, it's future proof, so in two years or less, when you get a new phone that has the newer USB Type C connection, you simply have to swap out your adapter, and in 5 more years, whatever type plug they are using then...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,669
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I agree with David. Another key advantage of installing this type of outlet: it is compatible with a huge array of devices designed to plug into it: more than USB type A; another key advantage, it's future proof, so in two years or less, when you get a new phone that has the newer USB Type C connection, you simply have to swap out your adapter, and in 5 more years, whatever type plug they are using then...
OP has a Samsung Galaxy S9+, so already using the USB-C connector. They started using that in the S8, but your point is valid. I can still use my old chargers but they are slow. Samsung, at least for the S8, included an adapter that slides over the micro-USB connection. All of the plug in chargers use standard USB connections so you can use different cables with them, regardless of the connector is on the phone end. Amazon offers the adapters too. I bought a box... now if I could only remember where I put them.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 508
I ordered this and will be here tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It calls out S9 specifically, will report back if it works as expected.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar

 
2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,621
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Is that going to fit in the wall. It looks like it might be too deep.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #18
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I ordered this and will be here tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It calls out S9 specifically, will report back if it works as expected.
It will likely be too thick (deep) to fit in an Airstream wall.
__________________
Ray B.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 689
Images: 5
I may be mistaken, but it appears that that outlet needs to be wired into your 110 system. This means it will only have power when you are plugged into shore power, unless you have something set up in your camper to run the 110 outlets through an inverter off of your battery.

Even in that case, it would be less efficient because your battery’s 12 V DC supply is being converted to 110 AC and then in the receptacle, back to DC again.

A cigarette lighter type outlet, on the other hand, will work both on shore power and directly off of your battery in the most efficient manner feasible, prolonging your battery life. And the adapter that David link to in the post above does specifically output a fast charge electrical current for your Samsung.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I may be mistaken, but it appears that that outlet needs to be wired into your 110 system. This means it will only have power when you are plugged into shore power, unless you have something set up in your camper to run the 110 outlets through an inverter off of your battery.

Even in that case, it would be less efficient because your battery’s 12 V DC supply is being converted to 110 AC and then in the receptacle, back to DC again.

A cigarette lighter type outlet, on the other hand, will work both on shore power and directly off of your battery in the most efficient manner feasible, prolonging your battery life.
I plan to have both types on board. We spend a lot time on grid at most of the places we stay, if not we have a generator otherwise.

I will be looking at the 12VDC version after I sort this one out for the 120 to USB charging.
__________________

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
compact portable LED with solar charge and USB power waninae39 On The Road... 3 04-25-2019 03:30 PM
Replaced 28” Samsung with 32” Samsung wbrown Audio, Video & TV 33 01-20-2019 09:20 AM
2016 FC23D USB outlet next to DVD player Atsushi Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 11-30-2018 03:18 PM
Samsung Note 4 to Samsung TV Drcrow Our Community 0 07-07-2016 09:32 PM
Connecting Samsung phone to Samsung TV Drcrow Audio, Video & TV 1 06-15-2016 08:29 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.