Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Rivet Updating Electrical Goodies...

I am a certified mobile electronics installer, and proud Airstream owner. I currently sell and install all the "fun" electronics such as Satelite Radio, CB Radios, GPS Navigation systems, rear-view cameras, DVD and VHS players, upgraded radios and stereo components, LCD televisions for both tow vehicle and trailer, In-Car computers... you get the point. If you have any questions about wiring up your electrical components, or advice as to which brands to look into, feel free to contact me. I will help you as best I can.
--Chad Bleakney--
CBleakney@gmail.com

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice bit of info! I'll be installing a LCD TV, thinking of a 20". Is there a brand I should watch for, and conversely stay away from? Power should not be an issue, 30 amp service. Mounting should prove interesting.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Chad, thanks for offering advice!

I've been thinking about a fantastic fan (or two). do you know if the wiring is already in place (I have a 97 Safari) or does the wiring have to be fished?

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Nice bit of info! I'll be installing a LCD TV, thinking of a 20". Is there a brand I should watch for, and conversely stay away from? Power should not be an issue, 30 amp service. Mounting should prove interesting.
Are you looking for a 110v only tv, or a tv with switchable/auto switching power supply? I would suggest getting an lcd tv that is designed for automotive use and has been designed and tested to withstand the adverse temperature range and vibrations that a moving vehicle is subject to. Post back your thoughts so I can get you headed in the right direction. --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Chad, thanks for offering advice!

I've been thinking about a fantastic fan (or two). do you know if the wiring is already in place (I have a 97 Safari) or does the wiring have to be fished?

Thanks - Pat.
This is the information to which I am still learning. Being 21, I have only had access to my parents 2 AS motorhomes, and more recently my 1968 tradewind that I am restoring. There are others that will surely be able to help you with your question, sorry I was not of more help. --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
DC TV would demand too much power, so I've not even considered that. Thinking LCD but I am not certain it would take to traveling down the road. Heat should not be too much of a concern, (I hope) living in the North East we rarely see long duration of high temps. Cold, now that is another matter! They are saying we're due for a foot or better :O(
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
well, it looks like the snow fell through....I live in Worcester MA and work above Boston. As for AC tv's I personally like the Sharp AQUOS LC-20S1U for your application, or a Samsung LTP1795W... it's a 17" with High Definition for about the same price if that is something you are interested in. Good Luck. --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
In an Airstream, we probably aren't talking "home theatre". The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) defines that as a MINIMUM of a horizontal viewing angle of 30 degrees. Lucas THX certification for theaters defines that as a MINIMUM of 26 degrees at the very back of the theatre, and recommends 36 degrees for best experience. At a 6 foot viewing distance, to achieve 30 degrees requires a 48" diagonal 4:3 screen or 44" diagonal 16:9 screen, and to achieve 36 degrees requires a 59" diagonal 4:3 screen or 54" diagonal 16:9 screen. So without a projector and roll-down screen, or a really close TV, "home theater" ain't happenin' in an Airstream. Viewing a 17" 4:3 TV at 6 feet is about 11 degrees and a 20" 16:9 TV at 6 feet is about 14 degrees.

Now let's consider the utility of HDTV in an Airstream (compared to standard definition TV (SDTV 480i) or enhanced definition TV (EDTV 480p)). Normal 20/20 human vision can resolve only up to one minute of angle. That translates to 300 dots lines per inch at a 1 foot viewing distance, and is 50 lines per inch at 6 feet. The 480 lines of SDTV or EDTV on a 10.2" tall 17" diagonal 4:3 TV, or on a 9.8" tall 20" diagonal 16:9 TV, comes in at about 47-49 lines per inch, and is a good match for 20/20 eyes at a 6' viewing distance. At 20/20, we can't see better than that. This would be true for a 20" 4:3 TV at 7 feet or more.

Sparing you more math, 720p HDTV would be a good match for 20/20 vision, if the viewing distance of those same sized screens were cut to 4 feet, and 1080i HDTV would be a good match if it were reduced to 2 feet 8 inches. Interestingly, the latter is the distance we'd have to view that 20" 16:9 TV to get a minimal 30 degree "home theater" experience. At 4 feet, it would give us only about 21 degrees.

For more info and number crunching, see:

Viewing Distance Calculator and Compute TV Size Calcultor.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAudiophile
well, it looks like the snow fell through....I live in Worcester MA and work above Boston. As for AC tv's I personally like the Sharp AQUOS LC-20S1U for your application, or a Samsung LTP1795W... it's a 17" with High Definition for about the same price if that is something you are interested in. Good Luck. --Chad--
Thanks! I'll check it out. Looked at a 20" don't know if I can spare the space. Already have a Sony surround sound, so ya know what will turn up inside there
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
. So without a projector and roll-down screen, or a really close TV, "home theater" ain't happenin' in an Airstream.
Now that would be cool. I wonder if they make the screens with a curved top?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Now that would be cool. I wonder if they make the screens with a curved top?
Hey, ya know that is an interesting idea, I have an inlaw that owns an Audio Visual company. Mayby I should see what he has? Might drive the wife a bit nutty watchin the news when she's trying to sleep tho.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
RoadKingMoe: So without a projector and roll-down screen, or a really close TV, "home theater" ain't happenin' in an Airstream. Over59 replies: Now that would be cool. I wonder if they make the screens with a curved top?
Hummmmmm..... with a nice silver metalic zolotone interior end cap, one would have the perfect vintage screen for viewing the 1963 CINERAMA classis "How the West Was Won". Now, this get my reels turning....
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've actually considered doing this. There are HDTV quality projectors that should fit in the sofa overhead. One problem would be the heat they generate.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #14
_

. , .
ok chad i'll give it a go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAudiophile
If you have any questions about wiring up your electrical components, or advice as to which brands to look into, feel free to contact me. I will help you as best I can.
--Chad Bleakney--
CBleakney@gmail.com
hi chad
your enthusiasm is apparent and don't be discouraged if a solution or answer you offer gets shot down......in the short time i've been reading here, i've learned there are some mighty knowledgeable folks for any topic.

1. so i'd like to have an aft trailer camera linked to a dash mounted lcd like the big class a mh have. ideally the truck part would replace the in dash stereo (ford f-250) with a nice fit....and gps capable too. i don't care about the radiop/stereo function...only the basics or none at all. if in lcd dash not possible then flip up lcd or my laptop would be ok. the rear camera could also be used to feed an image into the trailer when camping....sort of an ourdoor peeper.... the camera would need a reverse image function to really simulate a rear view mirror.
2. i'd like a truck/shell camera that would also link to the cab lcd for backing up/hitching.
3. 26 inch lcd hi res tv in the trailer with the usual cable/ant connections but also with satellite and tivo like recording. of course i'd want to plug the laptop into this system which should be easy but i'd like that gps function in coach too, for ploting trips from the sofa.i'd be fine with ac power for the tv....since it could be stowed during travel....dc would be ok too.
4. i'd like some lowjack like system in the trailer and if i could track it from the truck....that'd be awesome.

5. i suppose having a cell phone as part of the group would be good too.

6. the system can be wired/wireless or a mix.

ok so take your time and put this together for me. i'm an early adapter for most gadgets but have only the basic install skills, so spell out a list of equipment and bits to make it happen....i can't wait!!

icould have just sent you a p.m. but i'm sure others living far from you would like to see the options too.

not worry if someone adds to or refines your answer.....there are lots of smart folks watchin'.

cheers
2air
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Okay, so here's my first thought. We'll start with the rear view cameras. The hitching camera is nothing too special, it can be a normal wired camera. The camera on the rear of the trailer is the real trick, since there are two possibilities.
1. Have another connection to plug and unplug along with the normal hitching.
2. Use a wireless A/V transmitter @ the rear camera and use a reciever unit in the tow vehicle which in this case is a ford sd.
My first choice for the screen would be to utilize the large factory "double din" radio opening (meaning that it is double the size of a normal radio vertically) and utilize an Eclipse AVN product that has easy to use, touch screen Navigation, CD player, radio, rear-camera input and also a 2nd A/V input which would be used for the trailer mounted reverse camera.

I am looking into a trackable lo-jack type system for you. I do have a gps linked system from VIPER that ties into their security modules (i will look into seeing if it can be used as a stand alone product) this product allows you to track it online and even see where it has travelled in the past.
I will also try to look into the tv information for you.

Now for a quick re-cap and overview. I know the headunit/tv screen is more than you were looking for, but sold as an all in one unit the navigation software is very accuate and has searches by restaurant, gas stations, parks... whatever you want to find. As well as allows for easy switching between cameras, navigation, dvd, cd player, and radio. and you do not lose any functions of the factory setup.

I am in the midst of starting my own company catering to my friends on the road. I hope to do mobile/on-site installations of the above mentioned products and much more. I hope to accomodate many of the great people in the Airstream clubs that I have grown up in. I have been travelling with the WBCCI for 9 years(almost half of my life), being only 21. I have grown to love the glimmer of the sun catching the aluminum skin of these silver beauties. My hopes are to bring new useful electronics to the new and vintage trailers, motorhomes, and tow vehicles.

I invite all to submit thoughts and advice if you so desire, any tips or tricks will be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my excessively long post. Sincerely,
Chad Bleakney

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'm wit you 2air. (Is that the "Air America", that's a long time ago).

How does that dash system compare to the pioneer? I"ve been wishing one of these for the new truck I've been wishing? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_3149,00.html
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I'm wit you 2air. (Is that the "Air America", that's a long time ago).

How does that dash system compare to the pioneer? I"ve been wishing one of these for the new truck I've been wishing? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_3149,00.html
I do like the Pioneer AVIC-N1 unit very much, which I also currently sell. I have my favorite points from each manufacturer. These are Alpine, Eclipse, and Pioneer. The pioneer units are easy to use, but i find that they tend to be slower reacting than the eclipse and alpine units. As well as installation, the pioneer systems are a set it and forget it system, adding to the system later is a royal pain as far as add-on modules are concerned(music keg, diversity antenna unit, dsp unit). My hands down overall favorite company is Alpine due to ease of installation(comparatively) and quality and range of electronics that integrate to each other flawlessly.The eclipse units are nice because they have all of the core functions in one piece(granted you have to have a 2-din radio opening to fit it) As for Pioneer, they offer an equally broad range of compatible products as alpine, as well as having a list of "fun" features that neither of the two other companys offer.
When comparing the Pioneer to the Eclipse unit, I would say they are about even. I am going to throw around a few more variable and put Alpine back in the mix. For a weekend camper I would say these systems will do fine. For someone that plans to be on the road quite often, I would suggest Alpine. Their navigation was redesigned for this year, allowing for traffic updates linked to the navigation. If there is an accident on you're route, it will notify you and route you around the traffic if you choose to do so. Also, Alpine's recievers can be directly integrated to your iPod to control it's functions through it's screen, and the units are also able to be used with BOTH XM and Sirius satellite radio, so you choose the one you want and that's the one you get.
Hope this has been helpful to people- Sincerely, Chad Bleakney

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

How 'bout simple CDs / DVD / Radio

I am going to replace the AM-FM cassette unit above the sofa. The original car sized unit is set in the bottom of a 11" x 10" space about 9-10" deep. The top of black painted panel has the A/S logo stenciled.

What brands of CD players are better? (Or conversely, what brands to avoid.) Should I have the DVD on or in the credenza next to the 13" TV? Or put it up with the CD player and run wires?

I'm sure many of you have upgraded your sound systems, and I'm looking for nonexpensive options. The current speakers seem hard to get to and sound OK.
TIA for your comments.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
airaudio

Hey Chad, If you lived in my town I would have scheduled an appointment already... You have the right idea...you can use an old trailer and upgrade it and have today's advanced mobile entertainment and security I purchased a 13" LCD tv with a built in DVD player almost two years ago and I still don't have it mounted ...the two years since I purchased it.the LCD TV's are now half the price I paid ( $699. hard earned dollars ) would like to have the 20" flat screen for $399 I saw at wallmart last week

My speakers are in realy bad condition.Almost embarrased about them but I can get over it by saying " Their origional and still work " Last weekend while at my local trailer store I looked at the new line of Joyco trailers which come with DVD and surrond sound standard equip...
What I liked best was the speakers that they are useing ... they mount sort of half inside the wall and half surface mount... soooo what you see is surface mounted speaker sticking half way out of the wall ...I May go back and try to get these for mine..
Old 02-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

MP3/iPOD ready

Some of the new audio units are MP3 ready. It just means that
they have a jack for plugging in an MP3 player. ( very cool )
My daughter got a unit for a $250? that can store 26000 songs.
It's the size of a bar of soap.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote