Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Some of the new audio units are MP3 ready. It just means that
they have a jack for plugging in an MP3 player. ( very cool )
My daughter got a unit for a $250? that can store 26000 songs.
It's the size of a bar of soap.
Some are mp3 ready in that way, but most mean when they say "mp3" on thgewm that they have the software built in to decode mp3 format cd's whitch allow you to fit hundreds of songs onto one cd.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve
I am going to replace the AM-FM cassette unit above the sofa. The original car sized unit is set in the bottom of a 11" x 10" space about 9-10" deep. The top of black painted panel has the A/S logo stenciled.

What brands of CD players are better? (Or conversely, what brands to avoid.) Should I have the DVD on or in the credenza next to the 13" TV? Or put it up with the CD player and run wires?

I'm sure many of you have upgraded your sound systems, and I'm looking for nonexpensive options. The current speakers seem hard to get to and sound OK.
TIA for your comments.

Steve
Im having trouble picturing the radio space you are talking about. I have a used unit that has been in my jeep for a few months that fits in a regular radio sized slot and is a cd/dvd/am/fm tuner... so you could use it as the dvd player in your trailer, also making the integreation into the factory speakers in the trailer without any extra modukes or wires. It's a great unit, the Eclipse 55090, retailed for $1,200 but i'd be willing to let it go for $400 if anyone wants it. It has video output that would go to your tv. If you happen to have a HD TV in your trailer, the unit has an optical output that you might want to take advantage of.

here's a little blurb from eclipse:
The heart of an ECLIPSE 5.1-Channel Mobile Entertainment System is the 55090 DVD-Video AM/FM/CD/CDC-Radio. Conceived in a single, standard-size (DIN) unit, the 55090 performs a myriad of entertainment and information functions. The 55090 plays full-motion DVD video, as well as ordinary CD's (compact discs). A special infra-red remote control is included, so as to operate specific DVD functions from anywhere within the vehicle. The 55090 incorporates an AM/FM tuner featuring the ECLIPSE STARTUNER V. Flexibility and control are integral parts of the 55090. Add a CD-Changer or two and operate up to two CD changers using the exclusive E-LAN technology. If you require the convenience and safety features of voice command operation, navigation or hands-free cellular communication, the 55090 will interface with the innovative the ECLIPSE Commander and its valued accessories.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

I got frustrated because...

nearly all of the units looked like a light show. It didn't match the
theme of my trailer. I guess the lights don't use that much electricity
but I sure didn't like the looks. I was also concerned about phantom loads
from the units. I am thinking about installing a kill switch.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
nearly all of the units looked like a light show. It didn't match the
theme of my trailer. I guess the lights don't use that much electricity
but I sure didn't like the looks. I was also concerned about phantom loads
from the units. I am thinking about installing a kill switch.
I will take a picture of the unit. I'd think it will draw power at all times to keep the clock and settings in check, but i'm not sure how much that is. I left my jeep for 3 weeks with security system blinking
(2 leds) plus whatever power it needed, and the dvd player in it, and had no problem what-so-ever starting it.(i realize that 3 weeks is short for a trailer though) --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If you get one with a removable faceplate, you can elminate the draw of the light display, while leaving power to keep the clock and station settings.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
If you get one with a removable faceplate, you can elminate the draw of the light display, while leaving power to keep the clock and station settings.
Oh, in that case... this has NO lights on while the vehicle is off.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Our Airstream "vehicle" doesn't have an ignition switch, so both unswitched and switched wires from the radio are connected directly to 12VDC. I suppose one could add a separate switch to control power on the wire that normally goes to the ignition switch.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Yes, this is true. A switch would have to be mounted to truly turn off the unit. I had to actually go out and check it. The button lights and clock stay on when unit is turned off but the accessory wire stil sees 12v.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAudiophile
Okay, so here's my first thought. We'll start with the rear view cameras. The hitching camera is nothing too special, it can be a normal wired camera. The camera on the rear of the trailer is the real trick, since there are two possibilities.
1. Have another connection to plug and unplug along with the normal hitching.
2. Use a wireless A/V transmitter @ the rear camera and use a reciever unit in the tow vehicle which in this case is a ford sd.
ok chad that sound good, now what camera (model, brand) in each spot and what associated fasteners/connectors. i'd ok with wired or wireless and would want to be able to use the gps and video input from the truck unit and/or from my laptop in the trailer (imagine someone sitting in their undies sipping a cold one while plotting the next days route or making notes in a log from the last days route...
Quote:
My first choice for the screen would be to utilize the large factory "double din" radio opening (meaning that it is double the size of a normal radio vertically) and utilize an Eclipse AVN product that has easy to use, touch screen Navigation, CD player, radio, rear-camera input and also a 2nd A/V input which would be used for the trailer mounted reverse camera.
yes that's what i was hoping for too, an lcd unit that would fit in the factory opening which is pretty large on the superduty fords.

Quote:
I am looking into a trackable lo-jack type system for you. I do have a gps linked system from VIPER that ties into their security modules (i will look into seeing if it can be used as a stand alone product) this product allows you to track it online and even see where it has travelled in the past.
I will also try to look into the tv information for you.
that sound great too!

Quote:
Now for a quick re-cap and overview. I know the headunit/tv screen is more than you were looking for, but sold as an all in one unit the navigation software is very accuate and has searches by restaurant, gas stations, parks... whatever you want to find. As well as allows for easy switching between cameras, navigation, dvd, cd player, and radio. and you do not lose any functions of the factory setup.
it's not more that i'm looking for as long as it covers the essentials wanted.

so i like where you're headed with this setup....now lets put together the complete equipment list and all the associated items that make it complete. maybe you could do this in outline form and include some pictures or web links to each item.

like someone else in the thread said, if you were near me, i'd just have you do the install. for now thought it'd be great if your 'specs' could be used by whoever does the install. maybe after working out a basic system many of us would like, you could attend a rally this summer and do several trailers that's be cool and profitable perhaps!!

in helping us with these a/v issues it might be useful for you to talk with someone at the factory.....i heard today that the factory may be doing a back up camera system soon and offering mobile satellite. so being aware of what they have planned, costs, and compatiblity would be useful for you....that way if you suggest something "better" than factory you'll be able to explain why.

thanks again bud!! i can't wait to read about the complete setup.

2air
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
It's going to take me a few days to get this together... I have been very busy getting my company plan together. Some good news: Today I oficially registered with the Massachusetts Dept. of Revenue, and the IRS, as well as paid for the domain and hosting for my website on godaddy.com
My company name is Mobile AV Solutions, and the website is paid for but I have to design it. The website will be www.MobileAVSolutions.com --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #31
Zero Carb Twinkie

2003 22' International CCD
Fullarton , Ontario
Chad:
Thanks for the offer of advise. I could sure use some.
I am looking into purchasing a new f250 - it does not come with a MP3 capabilities,
Our 0CarbTwinkie has the Sony AM/FM 1CD changer and no option to mount an MP3 unless it is another Sony unit. Are the RF CD/MP3 Changers any good. With one of these I could use it in the Truck and Trailer. What brands would you recommend.

Or should I get a Hard Wired unit for the truck, the Head Unit in the F250 has a button for AUX but the dealer said, if you do not have a factory installed option (like DVD) you can not use it. I find this hard to believe.

The Sony CD Unit in the trailer is cheap enough to replace with something more up to date, and I would not mourn the loss of it.

Also using the remote in the trailer does not work very well. I have to be pretty near in front of the unit to use it. If I am in bed and want to turn it off I have to get up.
0CarbTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Chad / Airaudio

Just a note to let you know that after seeing your post I got motivated and put the TV up in the trailer its an ( AUDIOVOX 13 in LCD ) This is a preaty cool unit

I purchased this one because at the time it had the best sounding speakers and it was TV. DVD. MP3 with ports for my sons video games and it runs on 12 volt or 110 and came with cordless head phones and a remote all packaged in a nice black canvas suitcase in the last year things have sure improved however I paid so much for this little gem I'm going to have to use it for awhile to try to get my monies worth....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unimount  TV bracket.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	10553   Click image for larger version

Name:	unimount wall bracket ( radio shack ).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	10554  

Name:	audiovox installed nice and clean.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	10555   Click image for larger version

Name:	audiovox 13 in. LCD, DVD, MP3 wireless head phones remote controll.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	10556  

Old 02-26-2005, 10:22 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CarbTwinkie
Chad:
Thanks for the offer of advise. I could sure use some.
I am looking into purchasing a new f250 - it does not come with a MP3 capabilities,
Our 0CarbTwinkie has the Sony AM/FM 1CD changer and no option to mount an MP3 unless it is another Sony unit. Are the RF CD/MP3 Changers any good. With one of these I could use it in the Truck and Trailer. What brands would you recommend.
We carry the Rockford Fosgate line at my current job. I love their amps, like their speakers and subs, but the head units i'm not especially fond of. maybe that's because both of the ones we bought to put in the sound-board had blown fuses from the factory... although i have read some good things about them.

Quote:
Or should I get a Hard Wired unit for the truck, the Head Unit in the F250 has a button for AUX but the dealer said, if you do not have a factory installed option (like DVD) you can not use it. I find this hard to believe.
I also find it hard to believe that the input is not usable, but will look into that for you.

Quote:
The Sony CD Unit in the trailer is cheap enough to replace with something more up to date, and I would not mourn the loss of it.
Well, there's always room for improvement- let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I can accomodate you.

Quote:
Also using the remote in the trailer does not work very well. I have to be pretty near in front of the unit to use it. If I am in bed and want to turn it off I have to get up.
Some work better than others, however none are really designed to work from too far away. Than can be remedied through the use of an IR-repeater setup.
Also, i left some of the answers vague becasue I am not sure exactly what you intend to do. Are you looking for a cd player with mp3 cd capability, or a cd player with input for a mobile mps unit such as the apple i-Pod? If you intend to get an i-Pod, the new alpine units directly connect through the i-Pod and controll all the functions of the i-pod through the face of the cd player, which is a pretty neat deal.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair
Just a note to let you know that after seeing your post I got motivated and put the TV up in the trailer its an ( AUDIOVOX 13 in LCD ) This is a preaty cool unit

I purchased this one because at the time it had the best sounding speakers and it was TV. DVD. MP3 with ports for my sons video games and it runs on 12 volt or 110 and came with cordless head phones and a remote all packaged in a nice black canvas suitcase in the last year things have sure improved however I paid so much for this little gem I'm going to have to use it for awhile to try to get my monies worth....
Lovely! That looks good. Now to hide all the wires... that's the fun part, especially in these airstreams. Is it one of the top slot-load dvd's? I like those all-in-one units.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
ok chad that sound good, now what camera (model, brand) in each spot and what associated fasteners/connectors. i'd ok with wired or wireless and would want to be able to use the gps and video input from the truck unit and/or from my laptop in the trailer (imagine someone sitting in their undies sipping a cold one while plotting the next days route or making notes in a log from the last days route...
Okay, so that makes things a bit different. If you wanted to do the plotting in the trailer you have a few options.
1. use a laptop in the cab for navigation, but use the in-dash tv for rear view camera.
2. Much more expensive, but fun/useful. There is a company that makes computers for cars, i like the idea. I wanted to have a computer mounted in my trailer, linked into the lcd tvs that I would use as the monitor. Using a wireless keyboard and mouse. Also, utilizing a wireless network so i could link up to "hot spots" while i was on the road from the trailer. This could also be achieved with the use of a laptop and a docking station, getting rid of the permanent computer in the trailer.

I have a lot of ideas, that's why I have started my own company- I need an outlet. I hope that this will get rolling so that I can afford to use my own vehicle to test new ideas, and demo them to customers. (and maybe even afford a "real" tow vehicle)

Quote:
so i like where you're headed with this setup....now lets put together the complete equipment list and all the associated items that make it complete. maybe you could do this in outline form and include some pictures or web links to each item.
A list would be difficult for now, each installation is unique and needs to be an engineered installation. My thoughts for my company is to engineer each system before installation, allowing for easy, planned access to fuses and other diagnostic systems. This way, if anything goes wrong on the road, the customer can easilly troubleshoot with me on the phone. I can give basic parts list, but specifics depend on the wants and needs of the customer.

Quote:
like someone else in the thread said, if you were near me, i'd just have you do the install. for now thought it'd be great if your 'specs' could be used by whoever does the install. maybe after working out a basic system many of us would like, you could attend a rally this summer and do several trailers that's be cool and profitable perhaps!!
That is my plan, I want to go on-site for the installations- freeing the customer from having to deal with picking up the trailer and tow vehicle and bringing them to me- instead, you can go on with your normal business. At the end of the day, your trailer and tow vehicle are done and you are not inconvenienced at all. I do like the idea of doing installs at rallies, I plan on attending a few and doing tech sessions to show people what kinds of electronics are available to make their towing and traveling experiences more enjoyable.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 02-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I think if I were going to set up cameras, I'd try to find some 12VDC powered 802.11b wireless models (there are g's available but expensive) and a 12VDC powered wireless access point I could hang under the overhead cabinet in the front of the trailer. That would allow a tablet or convertible PC on a mount in the truck to be used to view them there. You could have one of those small GPS antenna/receivers on the dash, plugged into the PC when it was in the truck, and PC based navigation software. It would go with you when you were in the trailer, and you'd be route-planning on the same PC and software used in the truck. It isn't your 26" LCD TV, but if it were a convertible with an optical drive, you could hang it on the bedroom wall and play a DVD or plug a USB TV tuner into it. Some amplified PC speakers, or an FM modulator that broadcasts to the trailer stereo might be useful.

Just another alternative...

Oh yeah... there are a number of iPod/MP3 adapters out there for Ford F250 factory radios that have CD changer capability. Google for 'em.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

airaudio install

Quote:
Lovely! That looks good. Now to hide all the wires... that's the fun part, especially in these airstreams. Is it one of the top slot-load dvd's? I like those all-in-one units.
yes its loaded from the top the wires are on the back: right: bottom: corner and they are terminating into the closet behind the tv They unplug and the tv is stored in the suitcase in the closet while traveling :setup takes as long as it takes to pull it out of the bag hang it up and plug it in.. preaty slick huh.. last week I was looking at a amfm cd head unit in a truck that has a remote... that may be the next thing to come... thanks for the coments and have a good weekend ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new closet shelves.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	10617   Click image for larger version

Name:	I hear u knockn but u cant come in.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	10618  

Old 02-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

mobile AV solutions

I just noticed on a previous post that you would sell your eclips head unit for $400. hard earned dollars ... could you post a couple of photos with a ruler next to it.. thanks again and have a good one..
Old 02-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
I do like the Pioneer AVIC-N1 unit very much, Also, Alpine's recievers can be directly integrated to your iPod to control it's functions through it's screen, and the units are also able to be used with BOTH XM and Sirius satellite radio, so you choose the one you want and that's the one you get.
Hope this has been helpful to people- Sincerely, Chad Bleakney
Wow. So what service do you need to sign up with to get the real time info. Is this with On Star or something else.

Looks like you're a neighbor. I've gutted and am rebuilding a 59 overalnder, "The Bat Cave Express". An electronic Full Monty is in order. Got the go ahead from the Supreme Commander and Chief of Comfort and Tranquilty for a new DuraMax Crew Cab next year so I"ll be looking for some systems integration.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Wow. So what service do you need to sign up with to get the real time info. Is this with On Star or something else.

Looks like you're a neighbor. I've gutted and am rebuilding a 59 overlander, "The Bat Cave Express". An electronic Full Monty is in order. Got the go ahead from the Supreme Commander and Chief of Comfort and Tranquilty for a new DuraMax Crew Cab next year so I"ll be looking for some systems integration.
At this point I am not sure what you have to sign up for for the real time updates(maybe just subscribe through Alpine, or maybe a sirius/xm add on). The product and information has not been released yet, but i got a chance to see and play with it at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas recently.The things they are doing are crazy... now the readios are "HD Radio ready", which is a satellite radio 5.1 surround sound broadcast. I have the up-coming brochures for this year which gives some info on the navigation unit, i'll have to look at it when i get to work on monday.

I am getting excited about what the final product is going to be, and busy trying to figure out where I need to run wires for all the accessories as well as pre-wiring for the future.

I must say that i'm jealous about the rig. I am hoping that this company will get rolling and work out for me, giving me the ability to buy a "company truck" in the future, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.
--Chad--

WBCCI # 13657