Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Univolt Replacement - What are best options?

Hi,

I have a 1978 31 ft. Sovereign that I bought recently and am planning to bring back as best I can. When I bought it there was a Sears automatic 12 V battery charger - the Univolt was gone.

My question(s) is what are the best replacement options. Looking at the posts I see alot on Itellipower 9100 and 9200 with internal or external charge wizards (what is a wizard and what is the difference?). Also see reference to a WFCO - I assume this is a manufacturer.

When wiring them in is it fairly straight forward? Do they need to be in an enclosure like the original Univolt box?
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our trailer never had anything to charge the battery, and I temporarily installed one of the Sears battery chargers under the kitchen sink, near the battery. I made a deal, and got a "new take out" converter/charger from a '06 Airstream, and installed it in place of the battery charger.
If you still have the orginal fuse panel from your Univolt, you can remove it and use it with your new converter of your choice of brand. If you don't have a fuse panel, I would recomend getting one from someplace like West Marine (marine grade, with all brass parts, instead of steel that will eventually rust). You should have a separate wire for each circuit of the trailer, wire one up per fuse, run one positive wire from the converter to the fuse panel, the negative to ground, and you should have a positive and negative battery charge line also, pretty self-explanatory.
The charge wizard is an optional, but good to have, device that keeps the batteries charged optimally, and helps prevent overcharging.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
get the 9200. the wizard is built in and saves you $25-40. I don't know if the sale is still on, but Vintage Trailer Supply is "closing" for vacation and they do a whale of a sale while they're gone, 25-29 Sept. Oops, they sent me a "secret coupon" for $25 because I'm a newsletter subscriber. No biggee. Their price on the Intellipower is great without the sale.

In post #3 on this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ign-23313.html

you can see how I installed my intellipower. It's so light you can mount it to the internal skin. I've got an older 9100 with external charge wizard in my Caravel and a new 9200 waiting to be installed in the Overlander.

Zep
Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Univolt

My advice is to stay with the univolt system. I would also like to add use the Blue univolt not the brown or tan bodied one.
If you break down on the road I dont know what parts are redilly accessible and I have a thing for keeping it original. That is the only reason.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I am getting a WFCO power center not uning the old fuse panel.

It is actually cheaper than a converter and then buying a fuse panel.

See WFCO he can also help you.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang
My advice is to stay with the univolt system. I would also like to add use the Blue univolt not the brown or tan bodied one.
If you break down on the road I dont know what parts are redilly accessible and I have a thing for keeping it original. That is the only reason.
Since the Univolt is missing, I don't think that is a viable option.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
There is currently a BLUE univolt on EBAY

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Lipets, thanks.

I like the built-in WFCO panel, plus it saves $35 or so in buying one separately. Wish I'd seen this earlier.

Anyone got further input on the reliability and stability of the WFCO units?

Zep
Old 09-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Our return rate is less than 1/2 of one percent on all brands. They all occasionally fail, I like to point that out because it's the truth. Thankfully there is a warranty. They all essentially use the same internal components so it comes down to style, mood and perhaps color and price! Sorry, no Airstream Blue or pink yet.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Thanks for the info - this will help narrow it down. Lots of work before I actually get to that point in my upgrade.

Thanks again.
toga is offline   Reply With Quote