Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to ssolid Send a message via Yahoo to ssolid
Univolt Question? (Please look at pics)

I have a 72' 25ft Trade Wind.

The problem is I am not getting any power when I try to run strickly off the battery. Furthermore, I believe that the battery is not getting charged while I am plugged in based on meter testing.

I have removed the Univolt (way heavier than I thought it would be) and found that part of my problem was 2 blown fuses. These were not blown the last time I tried to wrestle this issue with the help of a shadetree electrician.

The Fuses that were lown were the Pink line in and the big 50 between the battery and the Univolt. I assume that is at least one of my problems in getting power from the battery.

Please take a look at the pictures and any info would be very much appreciated. I am a computer programmer and not an electrician so I am way out of my league here.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UV_Cover.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	13683   Click image for larger version

Name:	UV_InTT.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	13684  

ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Additional Pics

Here is the Univolt opened up..not sure what it is supposed to look like.

On a side note, does anyone know what will happen if I open up those valves? Also, what is that black, pump looking, thing above the valves in the first pic?

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UV_InTT2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	13685   Click image for larger version

Name:	UV_Opened.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	13686  

Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
let's see..

Looks like the following:
valves open the pipes for draining in the winter time.

Hard to tell, but I think the pump is your BAL waterpump.

Probably time for a new converter - try "bestpower.com" for an intellipower replacement unit. It really is easy to replace it. If you do a search on "intellipower," I put in a wiring diagram ... your univolt is wired just like mine (some are wired different).
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The pump looks like a squirrel cage blower, flange on the floor, is there a flex tube into the bathroom?
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:36 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sounds like...

You have a short in the #3 circuit. Replace the 50 amp fuse, that is a main power fuse, and nothing much will happen without it.
After you do that, check the stuff that circuit #3 protects, and see if anything looks "off". Little burn, or scorch, marks at lights, a fan that doesn't run, that used to, "funny electrical" smells, etc. Contrary to popular belief, fuses don't just blow for no reason.
The red-handled valves are drain and shut-off valves for the water in your coach, and the blower fan is to(hopefully) keep your holding tanks from turning into foul-smelling blocks of ice in the winter.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Yes, fuses do not blow for no reason at all. Something caused it to blow.
Make sure you replace just the main fuse first. Then look for anything that blew the secondary fuse.
I consider the converter to be a safety item. I replaced mine in every Argosy I have restored. I do it out of habit now. Plus the old Uni-Volt is not the greatest with keeping batteries from going bad. The IntelliPower with a Charge Wizard will take care of that.
www.bestconverter.com also has a new converter that has something like the Charge Wizard built into it. A buddy of mine just installed one. Not sure how it is compared to the IntelliPower.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssolid
...Also, what is that black, pump looking, thing above the valves in the first pic?...
I believe that is a vent fan to keep odors in the bathroom from permeating the interior. There should be a switch somewhere to turn it on.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Black Pump?

You all are correct. I traced it back to a "fart fan" near the toilet.

Are the valves there to let water into the black tank or are they the ones that go to my faucet and shower?

(the univolt and valves, etc are in the curbside rear corner. and the bathroom is in the rear)

If those don't go to the black tank....Is there any way to fill the tank quickly to flush it out a few times? (beside running a hose through the window or trailer?

Steve
Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- yes, in the rear upper hatch there is a clean-out fitting in the black vertical vent pipe, at least in mine. stick a hose in there and flush away.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Steve, did you get everything you needed concerning the Univolt? Lou has the right idea. Replace the thing. That's what I'm going to do as part of my rebuild. There is a member here who sells the Intelli-power and offers a discount to forum members, although I can never remeber his name/handle. Somebody will chime in with the answer. This time, I'll remember to bookmark the response!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

bestconverter.com?

68 Overlander?
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #12
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
bestconverter.com

I went to bestconverter.com and the Intelli- Power units come in 30 40 and 45 Amp versions.

Which one do I need? I assumed I would get the 60 Amp. Is that too much power?

Steve
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
I have the same trailer as you. I redid the bathroom (know it well) and also replaced the intelli with the 80amp. model. If noting has been changed there is a line running out the bottom of your trailer and the one knob will alow water to flow out of the trailer. There is nothing that comes into play with the black tank. That is all by itself. I have pictures of all that stuff if you need anything. I also switched the layout of my wiring so it all ran to the front of the trailer. I had all the wall panels out anyway so it made it easy to do. I've had the inteli-power in for about 6months and I think I ran into my first problem. When I was pluged into land line power and was using a havey load (12volt) after I turned the load off you would hear the fan on the intelli kick on... I can't get it to kick in now. I checked the fuses and all conections and I can't get it to kick on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiring01.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	13734  
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
More photo's of the wiring. I also added surround sound, DVD,LCD,MP3.. and a wireless network using my apple. It all can run on 12v power. Hope the pictures show up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WiringPan..jpg
Views:	176
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	13741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intilli1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	13742  

Name:	Header2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	13743   Click image for larger version

Name:	12vBreaker.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	13744  

Old 08-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Some more pictures of it done...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	13745   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	13746  

Name:	couch2.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	13747   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	13748  

Old 08-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Sorry I tried to fix some of the spelling in my first post but wasn't able. It's almost 1am here. I'm in West Palm if you ever need any help with your A/S... I've had it off the frame and back-on... I know it way better then I ever wanted to......
kbrennan007@hotmail.com
Have a good one
Old 08-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Isn't 80 amps a bit of overkill? What was the rationale for it? Did you add up the power you would use and then work it from there?
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Steve,
Looks like you're getting lots of help on this one. I think the black looking pump is actually the vent dan for your bathroom. The switch to turn it off and on is a small button looking affair on the closet wall next to your toilet.The red valves are for winterizing. Open to drain for winter close for use. You also have 2 more under your kitchen sink. I just instaled the Intellipower converter and am very happy with it. The install went well and Randy at Bestconverters.com was helpful when I called with a question. The price was under $200.00 and the shipping was free.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
AYRSTREM2... well kinda. I added everything up and even with the the 200w 4-channel amp crancked, every light,fan on I'm still only pulling under 60amps. So my thinking was that if I can use 50-60amps then why not go over that amount. You are right, it is alittle over kill, but so is everything I did. All the wires are changed to marine grade, all connections are soldiered and heat shield wrapped. I changed out all fuses to new “Maxi” automotive type. 100amp/12vDC Distribution panel. Like Tim the tool man would say... AARRR AARRR AARRR AARRR..........

Kidding aside, using a 80amp unit would alow me to draw all the power from it and still be able to charge the batterys. If I had a 40amp unit and was using 50amp worth of power I'd not be able to recharge the battery's at the same time. I'd actualy be still drawing from them. And back to the joke... I'll probably never ever need to do the both. BUT.... MORE POWER, MORE POWER
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1961 19' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
TEll ME MORE, TELL ME MORE....
I started gutting our new '76 over the past weekend, I want to do everything you've done to yours (wireless, MP3, surround etc.). When I plugged her in the first time, that strange buzzing sound echoed throughout the coach. Assuming this isnt a healthy sound for a 30 year old, its time for modernization. So I'm just starting out as well. Plus the wife digs your leopard coach.. Any words of wisdom would be helpful....
jsmith351 is offline   Reply With Quote