Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Univolt failure?

It appears I am running solely off the batteries. I only have 1 battery since the winter and forgot to install the other one. Well, I just pulled it out and checked voltage, it's only 10v. The lights are dim and the only light that works now is the one in the living-room where the household type recepticle is (120V?)

It's plugged into to the shore power.

Did the univolt fry and if so, why? And how do I replace it? I checked repair records and it has been replaced in the past.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We ran into this problem on our last outing of the summer where we had no electrical hookup. We used battery power w/we thought the univolt, but upon returning home, we found something wrong. We had hooked up to shore power to clean up and found that the 120 outlets were working, but the lights did not. When we took trailer off shore power, the lights worked, but were very dim (because battery was just about done from our trip). We are sure the univolt must have quit sometime during the trip, so everything was then dependent on just the battery, which, by the way, will keep things like lights, water pump, etc. working w/o univolt, I just don't know how good it is for the battery to do that. Anyway, we are now planning to get the Intellipower w/Battery minder that others have said they replaced their Univolt with and like much better. There is a thread in here somewhere with a link to a fellow forum member who will give you a discount on his purchase site if you mention you are a forum member. Hope this helps.
PS - I went looking and found the thread w/the Intellipower info. It is on page 2 of this thread. converter

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote