Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Unique 12v Refrigerators. Does anybody have experience with one?

Just wondering if anybody has installed one of these fridges in their trailer. The specs look fantastic. They're designed for residential applications and I cannot find any info on reliability, longivity, etc in RV's.

If they can handle the road, they would be one of the most efficient options avalible.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
kind of hard not knowing what models/ make of fridges. also specs or links to specks would help. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Springtown , Texas
Here is the website, models vary as well as intended use.
I found this company when planning for a friends RV residential fridge solar system.

https://uniqueappliances.com/category/solar-appliances/
2010 Kawasaki KX250F
2018 Can-Am Maverick Trail 800 DPS
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gkv View Post
kind of hard not knowing what models/ make of fridges. also specs or links to specks would help. kurt
If you had installed and used one, you wouldn't need to know the model and specs now, would you!!!!
Old 09-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Shermy1987 I didn’t have a clue either what you were referring to. I didn’t know Unique was a brand name. Probably a lot of us weren’t in tune with what you were talking about. Just saying. The link was helpful and they do look interesting.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't think the vertical fridge/freezers are going to be significantly more efficient than an Isotherm or Vitrifrigo that are designed for boat and RV environments. The portables with their chest form-factor have some efficiency advantage because of the shape, but that's inconvenient to use on the daily...

The big thing is the Danfoss compressor, which you'll find in the Isotherm and Vitrifrigo units and in a couple of Dometic and Norcold units.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Look at Nova kool. Dansford compressors but designed for trailers and boats.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't think the vertical fridge/freezers are going to be significantly more efficient than an Isotherm or Vitrifrigo that are designed for boat and RV environments. The portables with their chest form-factor have some efficiency advantage because of the shape, but that's inconvenient to use on the daily...

The big thing is the Danfoss compressor, which you'll find in the Isotherm and Vitrifrigo units and in a couple of Dometic and Norcold units.
These units use a Danfos compressor also. And if you look at the sidewalls of the refrigerators, they have more insulation than any RV fridge I've ever seen.

Looking at power specs between a 8 cubic foot vitifrigo and a 9 cubic foot Unique, the Unique draws 47 amps in 24 hours (12v) whereas the Vitifrigo draws 68 amps. This is quite a sizable difference. especially when you consider the Unique fridge is 300 or so bucks cheaper.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Are the Unique brand reefers designed and built to bounce down the highway, though? The Vitrifrigo and the Nova Kool are very common in marine applications so pretty rugged.

Before I bought one, I’d talk to the manufacturer and ensure that a mobile installation was both wise and not a warranty exclusion.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Are the Unique brand reefers designed and built to bounce down the highway, though?
Yeah, maybe somebody should start a thread to find an answer to that question!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
When my Dometic fails I’m putting in a Vitrifrigo.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
These units use a Danfos compressor also. And if you look at the sidewalls of the refrigerators, they have more insulation than any RV fridge I've ever seen.

Looking at power specs between a 8 cubic foot vitifrigo and a 9 cubic foot Unique, the Unique draws 47 amps in 24 hours (12v) whereas the Vitifrigo draws 68 amps. This is quite a sizable difference. especially when you consider the Unique fridge is 300 or so bucks cheaper.
Are the tests performed in identical environments? I recall that the Unique's spec sheet says specifically that they are not designed to be used in non-climate-controlled spaces. Like the interior of a travel trailer towing on a summer day...

I'm not being negative about Unique's products, by the way. I have a fantasy project for an off-grid cabin in Colorado and will likely go with one or two of their Danfoss-based offerings for refrigeration if I ever get to do that, but I'd need to know more before installing one in an Airstream. They don't seem to be designed to be bolted down, by the way, and reviews have described their exterior surfaces as a bit delicate.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Are the Unique brand reefers designed and built to bounce down the highway, though? The Vitrifrigo and the Nova Kool are very common in marine applications so pretty rugged.

Before I bought one, I’d talk to the manufacturer and ensure that a mobile installation was both wise and not a warranty exclusion.
Thats what I was hoping this thread could answer. Not suggestions or opinions but "experience" with these fridges.

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Are the tests performed in identical environments? I recall that the Unique's spec sheet says specifically that they are not designed to be used in non-climate-controlled spaces. Like the interior of a travel trailer towing on a summer day...

I'm not being negative about Unique's products, by the way. I have a fantasy project for an off-grid cabin in Colorado and will likely go with one or two of their Danfoss-based offerings for refrigeration if I ever get to do that, but I'd need to know more before installing one in an Airstream. They don't seem to be designed to be bolted down, by the way, and reviews have described their exterior surfaces as a bit delicate.

Page 7 of the installation manual states the following:

"This appliance uses the exterior walls to transfer heat from the inside of the cabinet. Ensure that there is adequate space between the fridge and neighboring walls or large objects. A minimum spacing of 3 inches (7.5 cm) is highly recommended."
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v