Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
Umbilical cord

While returning to New Jersey from a camping weekend in Lancaster County, PA, I kept having problems keeping contact with my umbilcial cord with my tow vehicle. I have a '07 Safari SE and had to jump out of my tow vehicle at red lights several times during my 60 mile return trip to unplug and replug the cord. I would have connection again with my prodigy and trailer running and break lights. Hit some rough road and again lose contact. It seems tight when I disconnect and reconnect but apparently not. First time I experience this propblem. Any ideas how to correct this?

Thanks
Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
The only thing I can think of is that the plug is not all the way in. When you let the cover down on the receptical it should grab the prong on the side of the plug. The spring on the cover will then hold the plug in place. The cover also has a prong on the inside of the cover, and this should be outside the one on the plug. Really hard to explain without actually showing you how it works.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, mickleton. I had this problem once; It turned out to be the ground wire connection at the seven wire plug. Connectors were cleaned and the ground connector was bent to make a tighter connection. Even though there are seven wires, if you lose the ground, you have nothing. [No brakes, no brake lights, no tail lights, no turn lights, and no running lights. Etc.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had this exact problem with my '07 Safari SE. I fixed it in two minutes this way:

The trailer side plug has two brass blades for each of the contacts. With a small screw driver or knife blade pry the contacts towards each other so they apply more pressure on the socket conections when plugged in. I haven't had the problem since, but feel it may require periodic attention as the whole plug feels a bit loose in the socket.

Another problem I've had with my Prodigy is corrosion on the wiring harness plug on back ofthe Prodigy itself. I've had to pull that off and clean it a couple of times. I'm going to try some bulb grease on it to see if that helps.

This has really made me appreciate the Prodigy's diagnostics and the fact that it tells you when you've lost that connection. Better than finding out in a panic stop that you don't have any brakes!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
Good Advice

Thanks for the tips I will give it a try. Thanks again for the Help!

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote