Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sweets

Welcome to AirForums!

I just found/read this thread. Any update on what is going on?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I have the “better charger” in my 2018 Classic - A WFCO WF-9855 - and I have NEVER seen it kick back into float mode, even after sitting quietly in my storage unit for days.

As part if it’s upcoming battery upgrade, it will be getting a quality converter. In the interim, I have it on a timer which applies power a couple days a week.
That's weird; I thought the new WFCO units were 3 stage on 2018 and newer models?? Anyone else having issues with these? I have a 2017 and replaced the OEM with a Boondocker 50Amp from Bestconverters.com. Randy was a big help. I can leave my AS plugged in all the time without any issues now...charges and tends the batteries. I did install a mechanical knife disconnect switch also which I use to totally isolate the batteries while parked in the winter months when not in use. The Boondocker still works fine for my electrical needs in the AS like furnace and lights without the batteries.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The stock chargers in many of the trailers have had float capability for a long time. The gotcha has always been *how* they go into float, not if it's there at all. The process always involves "are we below some magic current?" followed by "have we waited long enough?". You the go into float. If you go above some (possibly different) magic current, you come out of float.

Good luck finding all that info on a typical charger data sheet

If the parasitic draw on your trailer is higher than the "magic current" to go into or come out of float ... you never go into float. If the timer is something like a month and you never wait that long ... you never go into float.

The flip side is, if the magic current limit is set to high, you go into float too soon. The battery is not done charging and you are now in float mode.

If they are going to sell the same charger to somebody with a single 60AH battery and somebody else with a bank of ten 100AH batteries ... somebody is going to get the wrong setting.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets87 View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips/advice. Much appreciated.
Wondering if you got this figured out, and what the solution was?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't forget when the fridge is running on propane, the controls are still running on 12v.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote