Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Huntsville , Alabama
Tripping campground breakers

Went out for the first trip this weekend in our fc25rbt and we could not stop Tripping the campground 30 amp breaker. They said the problem was the camper but try a 50 to 30 dog bone... Problem solved and we had ac again but the maintenance man did test the 30a and said it only had power on one post so I felt vindicated.

Long story short I get home and pull my rig into its 15a powered parking spot and it keeps tripping the 15a with nothing on and the camper in store mode. One by one I turn off camper breakers until it stops tripping. The water heater is the culprit. It’s under warranty and I have only used it 3 times. I use the heater on propane to not overload electrical.

I assume the element is shorted or something.
McDonald256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Does your trailer have a 30A or 50A shore cord?

I think you might have a typo in your post. You said the maintenance person tested the 30A and it only had power to one post. A 30A RV outlet only has one hot line, it's the 50A that has two.

Your test process of turning off the inside breakers one at a time is a good one. Sounds like you have a defect in the water heater, or a short in the wiring on that circuit. If your trailer is like mine, the circuit that powers the water heater has no other devices on it.

On my 2013 25FBT, the water heater is right next to the breaker panel, so the wiring for the water heater is short and accessible. The top of the bed platform is a thin sheet of plywood that is held in place by maybe 10-12 screws, so it is not a big deal to take it off. Your bed may be like that also, though I don't know where the water heater and breaker panel are in the rear bedroom trailers.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Huntsville , Alabama
My camper is a 30a but it did not trip the 50a only the 30 and 15a power breakers
McDonald256 is offline   Reply With Quote