Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Trickle charge

Hi all,
We're bringing home a new unit in a few weeks and I'm getting the garage ready.
I read somewhere that your AS should always be running a trickle charge.
Is that accurate?
Second, my garage currently only has 15 and 20 amp breakers (the main is 60).
Will the AS work with low amps like that?
What about an outlet adapter, will that be required?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Mickey
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
You can use a 15-to-30 adapter for keeping the batteries up... you wouldn't want to run the A/C off of the house at that amp, but it'll handle lights, battery charging, etc.

(If yours is a 50a instead of a 30, same applies... it'll be okay for battery charging.)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Tom Servo,
Please add the model of your Airstream to your profile, or include it in your post.
Newer airstreams come with “smart” converters that maintain the battery charge without “cooking” them. No need for a trickle charger.
Your garage is tall enough for the Airstream? If it will be outside and you have rooftop solar, you can probably get by without plugging it in.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
My garage was built for the purpose of accommodating an AS but obviously the electric in there wasn't.

Great info thanks to you both!

I've tried to modify my status to include the new unit but I haven't mastered those skills (yet).
Regardless, the AS is a 2021 FC 25 RBQ, with solar and 50 amp.

Thanks again.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
If you are not using the AS, fully charge the batteries.(AGM or Lithium), disconnect and they will be fine.

If you want to leave them connected use a Battery Maintainer 👍

I would not the AS 'plugged in' 24-7. But I'm a 'letricle softie. BSTS.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If you are not using the AS, fully charge the batteries.(AGM or Lithium), disconnect and they will be fine.
👍

I would not the AS 'plugged in' 24-7. But I'm a 'letricle softie. BSTS.

Bob
🇺🇸
When Bob says “disconnect” I believe he is suggesting you remove the large negative wires from the battery terminals.
Simply putting your Use/Store switch into Store will not eliminate all of the parasitic draw on your batteries.
A 15A outlet is fine for plugging in your Airstream. You won’t be able to run the AC. Microwave and electric water heater will be iffy. Everything else will work. With Use/Store in Use, batteries will charge.
The older Airstreams, mine included, had a fairly dumb converter that will boil your batteries and ruin them if left charging 24/7. The newer ones are supposed to have smart converters that will not damage your batteries.
A timer at the outlet set to come ‘on’ for one hour a day will keep your batteries charged without damaging them. If you’re going to be using the Airstream, delete the timer.
You will need an adapter to plug your 50 amp cord into the wall. Any camper store will have an assortment. Get a 50A-30A adapter while you’re at it so you can plug in to a 30A pedestal at a campground.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
So there are a couple of ways to do this.
1) You can keep a 20 AMP (15 AMP) cord plugged in (get an adapter; should have one anyway). When you do that make sure your switch is put to "in use." That will keep the batteries charged. I have done that in the past and batteries stayed charged all winter.
2) You can put the switch to store, and then put a battery maintainer on it. I use a NECO Genius. I've done this and it works as well. If you do these two things you do not have to disconnect anything.

This works for my Interstates. And I think would do well with the AGM's. Not sure about Lithium since they are more temperature sensitive. But by maintainer has a lithium setting, and i think if they are being charged you should be OK.

The 20 AMP in my pole barn would run refrigerator and water heater (surprisingly). I never did it, but I would always turn on the refrigerator the day before we leave to get it cold.

I am building a new house and putting in a 50 AMP plug and dump station in my garage; which will be a heated RV garage attached to the house. Looking forward to that!! If you can wire a 30 AMP that would be good. Then you can at least test out your AC units before you go anywhere. Although as I recall I was able to turn on my AC units with a 20 AMP service if I didn't use anything else.

If you have the interstate wet cell, don't worry about them freezing. It has to get to -70F. I live in WI and the coldest I can remember is -40.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote