Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Trailer Microwave getting hot

I have a Microwave in my trailer question. I ran a dedicated line 12 gage to a 20 amp GFI for the microwave that replaces the oven. The Tradewind has a 30 amp service. The Panasonic microwave is 1200 watt. I ran it and the outside seemed to get hot. A little hotter than I would think normal. After several seconds it seemed to change sound like it was getting bogged down. Very slightly but it did change sound. So I then tried it outside the trailer and it was the same thing, including the sound. It did not trip the breaker in the trailer. I ran it in the trailer for only 2 minutes. It had a little smell but it is brand new microwave. There was nothing in it, if that matters

An advice? Should I be concerned? Is the 1200 watt too much? I did have the trailer plugged into 20 amp shore power so I don't know if that was it except it did it plugged in outside the trailer too on a 20amp circuit, only thing running on it.

Any help would be appreciated

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds normal to me. Try it with a cup of water or something else.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
URGENT NOTE! -- Do NOT run a microwave with nothing in it!

The microwave energy is not absorbed (into food) and will reflect back into the Klystron tube, which will ruin it.

Hopefully, you have not permanently damaged your new microwave oven.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
oops I hope not too yikes

Thanks I will see if it boils water in a cup

Wattage I take is ok for my set up?

Thanks
Tony
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A 1,200-watt microwave draws about 10 amps, which is within the 20 amps available. This assumes you are connected to a 30 amp RV connector, and your microwave is connected to the 20 amp GFI described in your original post. However, if you are using a 15 amp adapter to connect your shore power cable to a 15 amp outlet on your porch, patio, etc., the maximum power available will be 15 amps (or a little less). Similarly, if you are using a generator, the maximum power will be limited by the maximum output of the generator.

From your description, I am unsure whether you have a total of 20 or 30 amps available to your Tradewind. Regardless, you may need to limit the total amperage simultaneously drawn via your shore power cable. Specifically, while your microwave is running, you may need to temporarily turn one or more of the following OFF:

* Air conditioner or heat pump

* Heat strip in the air conditioner

* Portable electric resistance heater (Dyson, Vornado, etc.)

* Hair dryer

* Electric coffee brewer, tea pot, electric skillet, or other cooking appliances

To avoid tripping circuit breakers, just make sure that the total amperage (i.e., watts) drawn by all devices that are ON simultaneously does not exceed the available power.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Yes thank you. That is how I had it figured it. Fortunately I didn't mess up the microwave using it without anything in it.

But the fly in the ointment now is that it says on the back it can be enclosed in a cabinet but not used within two feet of a stove. I have it designed in below the stove so it maybe back to the drawing board ,or at least, the store.

It is a shame because it looks so good in its spot. I figure the Microwaves made for RV with the higher price tag are specially designed to be used close to the stove top. Either that or the precaution is over stated but I wouldn't bet on it.

If anyone knows about the microwave situation above I would love to hear what you know.

Again Thanks for your responses

Tony
Old 03-21-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I suspect the requirement about not mounting too close to a stove relates to heat from the gas oven, or rising from a burner located beneath the microwave, overheating the electronics in the microwave oven.

If you use your microwave like many of us do (i.e., primarily to reheat coffee, leftovers and prepared foods; and not so much for actual cooking); and, while in use, the microwave chassis won't be hot due to its close proximity to a pot left simmering for an extended time, or from baking something in the oven, you will probably be OK.

It sounds like the microwave is mounted underneath the stove burners. Here are a few additional questions:

* Is the microwave also beneath the stove's oven?

* Do you use the gas oven to cook? (Ours is used for storing bread, chips, cookies, etc.; and it's more like a small pantry. In fact, our oven has never been lit.)

* Will you use the microwave while the gas oven is on?

Depending on your answers, your microwave location may be OK. However, a photo of your installation would help others provide more accurate advice.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Physics : Heat rises , Microwave under stove top should be OK.

To prove that remove the microwave, turn on the stove with a pot of water on it and boil the water, check the temp under the stove, it should be cool.

If it is reinstall the microwave and enjoy.

If not install a cookie sheet under the stove with an air gap and test again.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Just a thought....and a biology experiment.
Take 2 separate cups of water. using two, identical houseplants, microwave one of the cups of water and allow to cool. Water each plant, repeat using cool microwaved water on one of the plants as needed. Guess which plant will die. If it wont hydrate a plant, it will not hydrate an animal (Kingdom). I love the magic chef oven
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quick sidebar - according to Snopes, the microwave experiment on watering plants appears to have been faked (they also ran one with undoctored pics). I haven't tried this on my own so can't vouch either way...I am a fan of Snopes though :-)

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Good Idea Phoenex Here are a few pictures of the microwave cabinet. It doesn't show the unit but I think it can be seen stove top above the larger cavity with curved front. There is also the water heater near by, below. There is also the new Suburban furnace behind the doors with the expanded aluminum to the right.

We haven't to this point used the old microwave or the oven/range we took out much. We usually heat things if anything in the microwave. Frankly, I am not big on cooking inside. I suspect with the remodel I may remain reluctant.

I believe the worry is a leaking gas and not heat.

Thanks

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2097.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	234782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3556.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	234783