OK, I have a vehicle that hauls 3 trailers, when hooked to the trailers, running lights, brake lights, and all lights work. So I am trying to start slowly and begin the rewire of my 64 GT. i figured I would start with the running lights. So I installed a junction box under the front end of the trailer. I have a brand new 7 prong plug with the following colors (red, brown, black, white, green, yellow, and blue). My diagram states that the green wire is the running and tail lights. White wire is the ground.
So....I connected the white wire with a self tapping screw and washer to the frame. it may have not been metal on metal since there was POR-15 and top coat on the frame. Then I decided before running wire that I would simply connect a amber teardrop to the green. Well, no light came out. I tried another light, no light came from it. So, I am confused. I have a roll of 12 guage green wire, insulated crimping wire connectors, and this harness. No light. I even tried the red and brown wires with the turn signals on and brakes, nothing came.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong.
Attached are a few wire diagrams that I have already. All I am trying to do now is run a wire to ower only the amber and red tear drops on the side of the trailer. What am I doing wrong? If it lights up, then I will begin to run the wire in the walls and then I will bein with the brake lights. It has ot to be easy.
I can tell you from experience that the colors on the older trailers are not the same and PO can mix and match stuff....
Start by getting a good ground... Without one, nothing will work.. Once you have this you can start testing wires to see what does what....
Yeah, that is the first thing I am going to do tomorrow morning. I then am going to test the plug and make sure all 7 wires are connected on the truck side of things.
It has to be the ground, I kept saying this today.
1963 19' Globetrotter
Join Date: Aug 2004
If your 64 is like my 63 the the wiring colors are not going to match a new 7 wire plug.. I used a car battery and made up a couple of leads to test the trailer then matched the trailer circuits to my truck plug. Saves replacing blown truck fuses.
While I'm still very new at the Airstream hobby, I did spend many years fooling with old British cars. The environment was similar in that old Airstreams tend to leak as did every Austin Healey I ever owned. Bad for electrics!!
I learned early that many beers bet on bad grounds would result in many free beers available for me!
No matter what else the problem might be, you'll rarely find it w/out a good ground. That's where to start.
Lone Jack, MO
"Turleen", the '57 Flying Cloud
Lone Jack, MO
Pop.528 "You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
I just finished the electric on my 66 Safari. I posted pictures on my blog. WWW.alumanutz.blogspot.com.
One thing that I think helped was to take a small screwdriver (flat blade) and insert it behind the blades and bend them forward. This increased the contact pressure of the blades. I also cleaned the blades with a small file. Works great now!
This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.