Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Atascadero , California
Tow vehicle electrical problems

I recently purchased a 2010 19 ft AS International. My tow vehicle is a 2011 Mercedes GL 450. I have been unsuccessful in the installation of a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller. The MBZ dealer constructed a wiring harness to connect the brake controller. After about two weeks of their efforts to make it work the brake lights and the turning indicators will work when the car lights are on automatic during the daytime and the running lights for the trailer will not operate. (It appears that the brake controller is sending electrical signals to the trailer brakes.)With the lights turned on manually during the daytime, the trailer lights flash and the brake/turn indicator do not work at all. This evening I tried to operate the lights on automatic. The sensors cause the headlights to come on when it is dark. Under these conditions, none of the exterior trailer lights work at all.

The electronics in the MBZ are a nightmare and I am hoping someone has had a solution to these issues.
There are two things I don't know.
1: Are the exterior lights to the AS LED lights?
2. Is a wireless brake controller a viable option?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
michaelann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
It sounds like the brake controller is working and you have a problem with the rest of the trailer wiring harness. I bought a truck because my 2008 E-350 could not be set up to tow even a small trailer without spending a fortune. The story I got was that a rear body computer is different for towing due to the electronic stability control. US models were not equipped with the computer that allows towing. It could be installed for about $1000.

My best guess is that the car's computer is detecting excessive current on the taillight and turn signal lines and turning them off.

The clearance lights operate from the same line as the tail lights. Tail lights will not be on during the daytime on automatic.

Back in the day there was a thing called a trailer isolator. It connected to a 12V line and the tail, turn and brake lights. The tail, turn, and brake light signals operated a relay or solid state switch that used the 12V line to operate the trailer lights. This limited the current drawn from the vehicle light wires.

Turns out they still make them. Maybe your dealer can figure out how to wire it in.

This one for a motorcycle trailer might work, or there are probably others with higher current capabilities.

https://www.amazon.com/Rivco-Univers.../dp/B0058P2QV8

Edit - looked a little further. This may be what you need:

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...ins/46255.html

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Atascadero , California
Thank you Al. This is very helpful and your explanation of excessive current seems quite consistent with what is happening.
michaelann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Tekonsha P-3 only needs four wires. (It comes with a harness to bare ends)
1. 12v.
2. Ground.
3. Brake lights.
4. Electric brakes output to trailer.

Snaking the wires might be a pain, but the concept is simple. Maybe your MB guy is overthinking it.
It sounds like your mechanic is using the tail lights to supply 12 v. instead of a straight line to battery. (Ignition switch.)
I think mine is always on. It goes to sleep after 15 minutes so it doesn't drain the battery. Stepping on the brakes wakes it up.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote