Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Tighten AC Power Breaker Screws

Am in Las Cruces, NM for 3 weeks, and it has been hot. Accordingly, the A/C runs much of the day, even with the thermostat set at 84.

One day the 20A A/C breaker tripped. As I went to reset it, I noticed the heat coming from breaker box enclosure. The left upper corner was VERY HOT to my touch.

Disconnected the trailer's power cable from shore power, took the breaker box cover off, and I checked all the screws. When I mean a screw was loose, I could noticeably feel a 1/4 turn or more while tightening it. I found these loose screws in the box:
- 30A main
- 20A A/C
- 20A circuit 4
- 20A GFCI
- 4 neutral screws
- 3 ground bar screws

Also reseated the breakers, and I noticed that the 30A main and 20A GFCI breakers didn't seem to have a firm, tight grip on the hot busbar. Am purchasing replacements today.

Also noticed that wires entering the panel are doubled up in the knockout strain relief. They look like regular Romex clamps to me. Looking at most packages, the UL listing is for one 12-2 Romex cable or two 14-2 Romex cables. The Airstream strain reliefs have: (1) 10-2 and 12-2; (2) two 12-2; and, (3) two 12-2.

As far as I can tell, all interior AC wiring is solid Romex, nothing stranded. Airstream is so stupid not to use stranded, marine grade wire.

I found several wire pieces and insulation pieces loose in the panel box. I seem to find wire clipping, wire insulation, and other trash every time I open an enclosure.

I can only wonder if this is another case of bad construction workmanship or just what happens after 13 years.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote