Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Yeah my original setup was exactly how you describe. I hate it being there because it is awkward to get my 6'4" body in there in the event of an outage. I would prefer to keep it in that closet but higher up on the wall, maybe at waist level or so...So about 4 feet off the ground. This way I can have easy access at anytime...

I have seen a lot of people using that other fuse block. Must be a good one...
My fuse block is about 3' off the deck, on the wall of the bathroom closet near the 120v breaker box instead of next to the converter on the floor. I'm surprised to find that I don't have a photo showing that.

If you want to wall-mount that combo unit you'll have to build it some sort of box, I think... the converter assembly looks like it sticks out several inches to the back, and would need airflow. Usually they're mounted on the outer face of furniture and take up some of the interior space (that is how I see them installed in newer trailers where they're original equipment.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Sounds good. Although I am trying to keep the trailer aesthectically similar to the original 1976 look, I am going to redesign some of the storage space, specifically that bathroom closet. It only had one shelf and a rack for clothes to hang. Seemed pointless to me... I am going to add 3-4 shelves so hopefully I can work a face panel in somehow.
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I wouldn't have thought of it but I recently read here on the forum about marine wire for re-doing the 120v side of the trailer. Standard household romex cable is a solid core wire. Fine for house construction but maybe not so for boats and RV's. Anyhow, something to think about if your plans include the 120v renovations. OH Yeah, it's available from West Marine. If like anything else for boats check with your bank loan officer before buying.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Crabbey1,

A 12 volt wiring chart show that for a 15 amp circuit you can run 11 ft with a 12 gauge wire. Anything over 11 ft, they show to use a 10 gauge wire. 12 Volt Wiring Distance and Gauge Chart

In my 34fter I know I have some 10 gauge wiring for some of my 12 volt runs.

Also, thanks for the link for the panel. I will have to get one for my 54 Cruiser.

Sid
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Thanks Sphere guy, I noticed on a couple charts that 12 gauge wouldn't be large enough... I mean, if I have a run to the front of the trailer that is easily 20 ft round trip...
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt