Old 06-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
The Great Generator Debate Continued

Hey there folks,

Rolling with a 2019 FC 26RB.

Working hard to make my rig dry camping able and working on the power components. Will be working with local dealers to add solar to keep the DC batteries charged, however I'd like to add the Honda EU2200IC to the mix as well.

Reason - for the couple times I take the AS out into muggy/humid climates over the summer. I want to be in the mountains, however I'm based out of STL in the midwest...

AS and many threads say to go with 2 Honda EU2200s in parallel, but while doing some pricing exercises I found this guy on Amazon that states it allows you to run your AC on one generator? Anyone have any experience with this gadget? If I can get by on one generator and solar this season and add a 2nd generator next year, that would be optimal....

I appreciate your opinions!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DD1S6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Plenty of "Easy Start" threads/posts here FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Easy...=airforums.com

Peter

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes. The Easy Start works as advertised and you can run an AC equipped with it with one Honda 2200. Maybe not other brands of generators in that size class though. If you are in the deep south in summer you might want 2 gens or a big one but to me that is not the place to dry camp.

I think there is a discount for Airstream Club if you buy direct from Easy Start.

I bet you will not want to add the 2nd gen. We did not and ours is a 2000.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
Don't anticipate spending much time in the deep south in the summer months. Sounds like you've got confidence that I should start with the one generator and the easy start. Nice tip on the Airstream Club. I'm a member. I'll reach out to them directly. Any ideas if there's some threads that discuss possible discounts for Airstream Club members in the forum? Never thought to use my membership until now.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I an not sure who the discount is to. Airstream owners? WBCCI? Air Forums? Call Easy Start directly and ask. I have seen it on this website. When I bought mine I did not know of the discount and just ordered it. Then we went to an International Rally and heard about it.

Yes, I have confidence you will be okay with the easy start and one Honda.

However....l have been told on this forum that I am often wrong about some things.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
I have an EU2000 and EasyStart. I find that if the genset is trying to run the AC and charge the battery, the genset gets overwhelmed. I have to flip the breaker off for the charger. EU2200 is more powerful, so it may do better.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Get some way of measuring voltage and current. A EMS and the little plug that connects the neutral and ground at the generator will do it. I keep a voltmeter plugged into a 110 outlet. That way you can tell if you are getting enough output. And yes, I forgot to my converter is on a switch and I usually but not always turn it off for AC. On my unit the gen will keep up with the AC but the microwave draws more power so I often switch the converter off to fix breakfast.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Warner Robins , Georgia
honda generator 2200i

Hello, someone posted a while back what they tried before buying a soft start.

fired up generator, made sure nothing was running electric, fridge on propane, etc. with two ac units, started the fan only on the 13,5 (back) ac then when fan spun up and was running, started the compressor. Listened for what the gen was doing, idled higher for demand and the compressor spun up like normal. The ac was running with no problem.

I tried this also and everything went fine. Granted it was in the back yard for a test run but the airstream cooled down. Didn't try it with the 15,000 front unit.

JRW
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
Don't anticipate spending much time in the deep south in the summer months. Sounds like you've got confidence that I should start with the one generator and the easy start. Nice tip on the Airstream Club. I'm a member. I'll reach out to them directly. Any ideas if there's some threads that discuss possible discounts for Airstream Club members in the forum? Never thought to use my membership until now.
I bought a second Easy Start in May and used AIRSTREAM as the discount code which resulting in a $40 discount.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
The discount has nothing to do with membership to any club, it is intended for Airstream owners in general. Just go to this website> https://www.microair.net/
Then select the unit you want to purchase and add it to the cart, then go to checkout. On the checkout page there is a blank space for a discount code. Type into that space "AIRSTREAM", in all capitol letters. Then click on the "apply" tab and the discount is deducted automatically.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
One other point, elevation.
Above 5 thousand feet, may stress the gennie to quit on overload.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Generators, cars, trucks, boats, and airplanes with reciprocating engines lose 3% power for each 1,000' of altitude unless turbo charged. That is due to lowering density altitude as you go up. Increasing ambient temperature adds to that loss. So a single genny is still a marginal situation since you need some power to run the refer, converter and any other DC controlled devices. That is why I am selling my Yamaha 3000iesb (see classifieds) and getting a 6300. Then I can run both A/Cs on my genny.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
I run my Easy Start equipped AC using a propane powered 2200 watt inverter generator. Helps to turn off converter and other large loads to prevent stalling. Does struggle a bit at high elevation.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I an not sure who the discount is to. Airstream owners? WBCCI? Air Forums? Call Easy Start directly and ask. I have seen it on this website. When I bought mine I did not know of the discount and just ordered it. Then we went to an International Rally and heard about it.

Yes, I have confidence you will be okay with the easy start and one Honda.

However....l have been told on this forum that I am often wrong about some things.
Reached out and they're giving Airstream club members $40 off the initial order for direct, AND warranty coverage on newer AC units 2014 or later no additional cost.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
Thanks for all the Feedback!

Moving in the right direction, now!
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
Another thought on the generator. If you use easy start with your 2200 watt honda you will be very close to max wattage avail so no micro wave toast and coffee etc while ac is on. An excellent generator is the champion 34 or 3500 watt. Electric start dual fuel propane or gas. Mine coat $1100. Now you can actually live on your power and not compromise. It is convenient to pull on wheels. One unit to buy and maintain.
Good luck
Marko Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #17

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
My 27FB has the easy start. Yes, it will run the air using the Honda 2200 but it’s too close to maxing out. I recommend the Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight. I purchased mine on sale for just under $700. Much better option than the Honda which I previously was using. Extremely quiet too.
Spudnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Prosper , Texas
I installed EasyStarts in both my FC AC units last Friday and am waiting for my EU2200i companion generator to come in this week. I'll know shortly how well I can operate on a single EU2200i. Want it mainly for overnight stops while traveling between destinations. Will consider a second EU2200i if I get into boondocking to run more devices.
MandMCTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
Let Me Know How It Goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMCTexas View Post
I installed EasyStarts in both my FC AC units last Friday and am waiting for my EU2200i companion generator to come in this week. I'll know shortly how well I can operate on a single EU2200i. Want it mainly for overnight stops while traveling between destinations. Will consider a second EU2200i if I get into boondocking to run more devices.
Thanks for this - I'm eager to hear your results. I talked to the AS dealer local that's installing my solar next week, and brought up the EasyStarts, bc I was going to have them just do the install while they were working on it. They said that to run 1 AC unit, I didn't even need the EasyStart. Gotta love all the conflicting info, so the way I plan on rolling is -

Start with 2200i and see how that handles the load, close to home.

Then determine if I need the EasyStart.

Then determine if I need 2nd 2200i.

There was a good recommendation for another RV Gen above, fitted for gas or LP, but I think I want to stay in this 45 lb range with the Honda unit.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am afraid there is always some conflicting information. I have a 2000, not the 2200 but that start is a close thing for one 15,000 A/C unit even with the Easy Start. I do not see how you could start without the Easy Start. Another advantage to the Easy Start is that it has built in protections for the A/C unit, just buy the Easy Start and install it. You will be happy you did.
If you want to run other 120v AC devices concurrent with your A/C, you will need the companion because your 2200 will be almost fully loaded. But we get by with water, refrig on propane and the 2000. You will also need to be aware of your battery charger; it can be enough additional load to drop the voltage to the protection point for the Easy Start. With the Companion, this won't be an issue.
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote