Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
The Darned Flap Broke Off!!

The flap broke off the connector on my truck where you plug the umbilical cord from the trailer in. It's the flap that has the spring on it and the little nub that helps hold the umbilical cord in place.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I sure would like to be able to, somehow, repair it without having to cut off the old connector and have to install a new one.

Help!!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Steve, did the pins that hold it in brake off? What broke? your best bet maybe Wal Mart for a new one and take the parts off it you need to fix the one you have.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Jason,

I think the spring/pins are still there. What broke is the plastic part right by the hinge.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Then, other than trying to glue it, which I bet i will brake again. is to get a new one for spare parts. They run around $15 I think, maybe cheaper. You will have to get a new one either way. if you can get the parts off it saves the time of re-wiring the whole thing.

hope you have a garage to work in it's cold over here on the western slope.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Not that tough to do - just change it wire by wire from old unit to new. Walmart has a good one but if you want it to fit the existing hole then you may have to go to the dealer for a replacement. If it's in the bumper then that is what I would do - if it's just on a tab of metal screwed to the bumper or hitch then the one from Walmart is a cheaper option. First off - see if the wires are molded to the connector or are they easily removed with screws inside. Then open the other and transfer one wire at a time. I changed out a friends badly damaged one from salt water corrosion in about 30 minutes and a philips and standard screw driver.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions! All the wires are sealed over with some sort of rubberized material and I am not able to access them easily. I may opt for trying to fix just the flap part that broke off by buying a new one and seeing if I can get it to fit. I have a feeling this will be one of those simple projects that becomes a day long bizarre ezperience
Old 02-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Most 7-Blade, and 6-Pin connectors can be dis-assembled, and it may be possisble to use the old guts with a new housing, but you'll still likely be required to cut the wires to do this. If it's an OEM connector, you may be able to buy a new one from the dealer, and replace the flap, but most are riveted, or pinned which makes swapping things difficult. Some OEM pigtails are plug-ins that can be replaced without requiring any cuts.

The other option is to install a new after market receptacle. The ruberized material is usually 1" electrcal tape, or ruberized tape. Both of which are available at Lowe's, etc...The wires are also usually encased on a ribbed plastic wire sheath which is also available at Lowe's etc...

I just replaced mine when I added a new brake controller. It took less than an hour and cost $20.00. I just cut the wires at the end of the old receptacle plug, sliced through the tape/coating, then re-wired the new receptacle. Verified the connections with a circuit tester, then double taped everything using good quality materials.

Regards,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
never had any luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
The flap broke off the connector on my truck where you plug the umbilical cord from the trailer in.
WE have never had any luck repair one of those.

Click here to see the repair part.

It is a pretty easy repair.

Dan