Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Cool Terminal fuse failed

Had occasion last week to go off grid for several days and managed to cause the 100A terminal fuse to fail. I may have inadvertently plugged a space heater into to inverter outlet. I seldom use the inverter and am really not sure what happened. I an find nothing else wrong but donít know where to look???
If there is something to check before putting the $15 replacement fuse please help! On another note I will be replacing my OEM batteries with LIFELINE AGMs and am curious if I should also replace the WFCO converter/charger which seems to be functioning properly. Any advise will be most appreciated.
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Perhaps the battery voltage was a bit low when you overloaded the inverter and the fuse blew before the 120V side breakers. It's possible. If you have an inductive amperage meter you could bypass the fuse temporarily and validate input current to output load just to be sure. I can't think of any other way to check it without risking a new fuse.

The WFCO converter does not have the best profile for an AGM but it will do okay, it's a tossup between cost of upgrade and slight diminished life and performance of AGM batteries. If you don't need peak battery performance, I would not upgrade.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
I donít want to compromise my batteries in any way. I have been reading on the PD unit and have several people on the forum have expressed positive thoughts about the 9200 series. The IS OEM batteries have been OK but exhibit very little staying power cycling the heater on periodically during the night. LA (lower Alabama) was very cold last week.
Thank you very much for your input.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I have the PD9245 with AGM batteries. I bought the trailer from the original owner this way. The charge profiles are nearly identical to the WFCO 9845 you have. The PD also has an equalization mode that kicks in for 15 minutes each 21 hours that is not particularly effective for AGM batteries but is more so for Lead Acid batteries. Other than that, I don't see too much difference between them. Some of the more expensive converters have programable controllers that let you optimize the profile to match the specific recommendations of the battery manufacturer including custom equalization charges and whatnot.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Good information. Iíll do a bit more research before getting a new charger. Too many options.

Another subject. We talked about the fuse replacement in the reefer....
I put the slo blo 5 amp in and now after ten days and a trip, have switched from electric to gas several times, so far so good. I suspect the electric heating elements, after a while, will, as you suggested, be a problem.
Thanks again

Wayne
Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Wayne definitely have a closer look at the specifications and write-ups. There may be something I overlooked. If you find something let us know. If you find a comparable cost unit with some advantage, that would be great info to have.

Glad the refrigerator is still working, knock on wood that the early performance was a fluke and you have no more issues!