Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Tank Monitor Help

My tanks monitor, which is located over my kitchen counter, stopped working after my last trip this fall. The device monitors black, gray and fresh water, plus the battery charge status. Below the level indicators is the water pump switch and the level test toggle. The water pump switch is the only thing working. When I press the levels test toggle, nothing happens.

I removed the screws to the unit and pulled it out as far as the wires allowed, thinking that there may be an inline fuse. There was not. I checked the 12v fuse panel, and none are blown. There are a couple of labels on the back - one (handwritten) says "9144 5/2/97. The other (printed) says "LS 097-58 SS".

Any ideas?

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you have verified that power is going to the board, then it may very well be a blown board, and one of the numbers you read may be the part number needed to replace it.

I'd contact Airstream and see what they say.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Silvertwinkie.

I was wondering whether the unit was one that could be replaced with some generic monitor - but I'll give our friends a call.

I also appreciated your recent comments in one of the generator threads, and your inclusion of the link sent me to the right place, I think. Have you "pulled the trigger" yet? I'm going to be sure to order one in plenty of time before we hit the road to AK this summer.

Thanks - Pat.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not yet. Got hit with a major vet bill a few months back and now property taxes coming up. My plan is to go with the yamaha even though it's heavier (harder to disapper). If the Honda already came with the LP carb, then I'd for sure have put the Honda in my sights as it is lighter (though it has a smaller engine).

I don't think (but don't quote me) that a generic monitor board would replace the factory one. My thoughts were simply to put a voltmeter on the power lines to verify that there was power to it and if there was power, but no action, see if Airstream sold a replacement part. If they don't, you'd be surprised what you can find on the web. My DSL router died, so I cracked it open. I traced the problem back to the power supply. Did a Yahoo and Google search with the part number and found several places that could get me one and the issue was not where to get it, but who had the lowest price on it. Maybe you'd have the same luck if Airstream didn't have the part.

On the new probless system Airstream uses, I worked with Airstream and the actual company that built the monitor system when mine went south. Our unit was replaced 2x, once by me (manufac of the unit sent me one) and once by the factory (Airstream). I've found the factory folks to be a real great bunch of folks. Most of them have Airstreams too.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good news about the panel - I called my dealer (Safford) and placed the order with Airstream. The part was shipped promptly and received yesterday. Since the panels appeared to be exactly the same, I just switched boards and saved a bunch of effort making the connections. Happily, that solved the problem. Whew.

As we are leaving next Monday for Florida, it is nice to have that working again. It was not a trip-cancelling component, but nice nonetheless.

Pat