Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2022, 04:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Surge Protector Recommendation

At long last, my new TT is supposed to be delivered soon. Me being a rookie RV'er, I'm now scrambling to buy the gear (or upgraded gear) I think I'm going to want/need for the maiden voyage. At the top of my list is a quality 50-amp surge protector. I've been reading a lot of articles and reviews over the past 48 hours but would really like an expert opinion. I'm interested in a hardwired option, but that may have to be an upgrade later on.

Top 3 brands appear to be:
  1. Surge Guard (Southwire)
  2. Watchdog (Hughes Autoformers) - So far seems the best overall option
  3. Progressive Industries

What experiences have you had with these products? Any insights or wisdom you can share regarding the use of surge protectors? Any other options I should be taking a look at?
M3771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:33 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
My experience is from literally one trip. I have a victron multiplus 3000 that my Watchdog EPO 30A is front ending. It seemed to do its job well. A few times voltage at the camp site dropped low enough that the watchdog gave me an alert on my phone via Bluetooth (very cool!), however the victron simply switched over into assist mode, and no difference was noticed. As I do more traveling I’ll probably have more useful feedback, but on first glance, it did its job and the Bluetooth integration is very cool for gadget nerds like me, even though it probably doesnt do much except inform you of your power draw, line voltage and Bluetooth connectivity.
supziez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I've been using a Progressive 50 amp for 3 years or so, had a 30 amp for several years prior on a different trailer. They've both been flawless. However, I'll look closely at the Watchdog when it's time to get another.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
While I cannot address other brands I have used the Progressive Ind. 50 surge protector for many years and it has worked well. Saved my AS for electrical issues on a few occasions.

It was recommended to me by several members of our unit of the AS Club who have even more experience than I do.

But I'm sure they would all work as intended.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
For years I used a 50 amp Progressive Industries SSP-50X on my motorhome. I never had a problem, maybe I was lucky. It would capture a spike, but not low voltage. I gave it to the new owners when I sold.
For the Airstream I have a progressive industries EMS-PT50-X which catches spikes and shuts down with low voltage.
The ultimate is the Hughes Autoformer witch does all PLUS adjusts low voltage back up to normal by limiting amperage. But for $650 it takes a deep pocket to buy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
2nd the EMS-PT50X.

Bulletproof, tough and all the features you need if you don't want to hard wire.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
You can find a surge protector from $30 to $500 bucks. I have seen the expensive ones fail/melt, and also the inexpensive models fail/melt a few times over the years on "other" owners hook ups. (when I say "fail, I mean they did their job "stopping" any damage to the TT; thats what you want, right--stop the electrical issue from reaching your TT?)

We have used this model 50A model for last 8 years. You can find at Campers World, or Amazon...sometimes it's less money. I have friends who have the "expensive, big model"; like I said, I have seen both expensive and less expensive models melt over the years. Not very common, but can/does happen/ I have had no issues with the model below:

RV Trailer Camper Electrical Surge Guard Surge Protector Portable 50A 44270
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
RV Trailer Camper Electrical Surge Guard Surge Protector Portable 50A 44270
A lot of people love the Surgeguard.
The first version had the plug below the body and some 50 amp cords didn't clear the flap. Now there's a short cable.
I still like the PI because of the rain cover and it's not so long as to lay on the ground at some RV parks,
and it has the security loop for a cable lock.
I do wish the PI had the red display time out instead of being a flashing light at night, "Steal me".
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Agreed, but I carry black electrical tape that is high quality so as not to leave too much (if any) residue and cover the display up for just that reason!
Old 04-06-2022, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Never had one since 2005 and never had a disaster, but campgrounds are busier now and maintenance has slipped at many. I haven't been hit by lightening either but Duh!
I will definitely get a built in one. Had a long 30 amp cord stolen once, and now it gets a padlocks around the bumper frame in any campground. I also have a 15 ft cord... salvaged from a damaged cord that is long enough for about half the full service places I have stayed.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Never had one since 2005 and never had a disaster, but campgrounds are busier now and maintenance has slipped at many. I haven't been hit by lightening either but Duh!
I will definitely get a built in one. Had a long 30 amp cord stolen once, and now it gets a padlocks around the bumper frame in any campground. I also have a 15 ft cord... salvaged from a damaged cord that is long enough for about half the full service places I have stayed.
Last one I saw fail was 2 years ago in San Diego at Mission Bay campgrounds; folks behind me with an SOB 25' TT, lost all electrical and their circuit board inside was melted from the plug to the board, so it got pretty hot! Stranded without any help for several days with no power. I also have a good friend with the $$$ pricy 50A model...it's a monster in size/weight, and gives him more "information" then he knows what to do with! Several choices out there now that look interesting. In the end, you want the unit to keep spikes from happening to your TT. Cheep insurance should it happen...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
I've used a 50 amp Surgeguard for four years. Saved me once at an under voltage campground.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
You never need insurance until you need insurance.

Surge protection is a no brainer.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
About 5 years ago we were in SOB and the transformer on the power pole took a lighting hit. We had a external Progressive 50 EMS and it took the hit and it arched from the back of the Progressive case back to pedestal leaving burn marks. It also welded the plug into the pedestal and we had to remove the plug from the pedestal to get our Progressive 50 disconnected.

Down from us us a Class A that had internal one and installed behind the coaches fuse panel (not real smart) and arched from the surge protector to the fuse panel and totaled the coach. You could see burn marks on the walls inside where wires run though the walls. If that was AS just think if arched to the metal shell..

I want any event like a lighting strike take place outside my RV and not inside the RV.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
About 5 years ago we were in SOB and the transformer on the power pole took a lighting hit. We had a external Progressive 50 EMS and it took the hit and it arched from the back of the Progressive case back to pedestal leaving burn marks. It also welded the plug into the pedestal and we had to remove the plug from the pedestal to get our Progressive 50 disconnected.

Down from us us a Class A that had internal one and installed behind the coaches fuse panel (not real smart) and arched from the surge protector to the fuse panel and totaled the coach. You could see burn marks on the walls inside where wires run though the walls. If that was AS just think if arched to the metal shell..

I want any event like a lighting strike take place outside my RV and not inside the RV.

That is quite a scary situation. I would not have thought of that as a reason to have the portable SP as opposed to the hardwired version.

Good to know!
Old 04-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
There are pluses and minuses on everything. Portable may protect you from the very unusual lightning strike mentioned above. Hard wired is impossible to forget at a campsite, and everyone eventually forgets something somewhere. I have seen posts of folks who setup a portable to be pseudo hardwired by installing in a storage cubby. I've also seen posts where hardwired units are installed in a plug in manner. One benefit of the hardwire units is the ability to place a remote display inside your rig, but then you can also look at blue tooth capability on some. So lots of options.

According to Mike Sokol at a presentation he made at a RV rally, Southwire has more protection than the other brands. Southwire R&D developed and patented some kind of downstream from the unit protection (electrical fault inside your rig). What it is and how it works is above my pay grade. Mike couldn't was an unbeliever until he was invited into the Southwire skunk works to see a demonstration.

Otherwise, my understanding is that all three are good and mostly comparable.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
I have the Southwire and am very happy with it. I think their remote display looks the best (very clean and “factory”, at least when I bought it - maybe the others have improved since then. Their surge protection rating were the same or better than everyone else’s. I mounted the unit behind my power center and the display above the propane detector next to it. The install was quite easy.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Simple surge protector or electrical management? Suggest you go with electrical management. Inside or outside unit? Suggest you go with outside unit (secure it). Brand choice? Suggest you investigate user experience with warranty, speed of unit detecting and choking a surge, and ease of use (like the cover, laying on ground, etc mentioned above). Be aware those alleged experts offering advice on YouTube and other places may actually be promoting a specific product while appearing impartial.
(Thoughts: Electrical management gives high and low voltage protection as well as surge. Units may have AC hum so outside is good plus easier to service or replace. Progressive is a good design and has delivered good customer service.)
Having good electrical protection is a good investment.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Yes, get protection for your new rig!
You won't be sorry.
Protection (any brand) is worth it.
I speak from experience.
You never know when you might get a 'spike'.
It only took me 22yrs to find out the hard way.
I never plug-in without it and I'm in my rig off & on for over 5mos a year.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
2nd the EMS-PT50X.

Bulletproof, tough and all the features you need if you don't want to hard wire.
I have the 30 amp version of this EMS and I am very happy with it.. It has provided warnings on several occasions regarding problem campground pedestals. I even use it when plugged in at home, we live in an area prone to lightning storms.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote