Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
One time saved us.

I have electrical background. Last year pulled into a new park. We have Both Southwire 30 and 50 amps for type of power available. I always just plug in the suppressor and power up before plugging into trailer. It failed due to open ground. Fortunately the space next to us we vacant and we moved. The park knew about the problem and said they were going to fix it. Couple of days later we went sightseeing and when we returned a unit had taken the bad spot and hooked up without any issue but as load for AC increased Al hell broke loose and apparently caused some damage to the fifth wheel and pedestal. Never heard how it ended up but the adage “Ounce of protection worth a pound of cure” was true this time.
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
What about theft?

Great recommendations here for high quality surge protectors. However, since they are so expensive, has there been reported problems of theft?
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
The more expensive external ones have a metal ring that you can lock it up with. Deterrence only, as anybody can get it if they want and it is unattended.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Surge Protector Recommendation

Mine is mounted inside. No noise other than an initial clunk from the relay pulling in. Progressive Industries 30 amp unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	414748
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Another important feature is a low voltage issue, which can cause problems.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Mine is mounted inside. No noise other than an initial clunk from the relay pulling in. Progressive Industries 30 amp unit.

Inside is great, until you see a situation like that described in Post #14.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Surge Protector

I have the 30A Watchdog external protector and it is easy to use, easy to store, sends info to your smartphone and has a mechanism to lock it to the power pedestal. I like it.
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
We were at a campground a few weeks ago and got to see a nearby pedestal start arcing and sparking. A previous worker many years ago had cross threaded the lugs in the pedestal and the poor connection generated a lot of heat causing all kinds of problems.

We use the Progressive Industries 50 Amp thingy. Really like it.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I use a Southwire model with wireless remote . It protects from high voltage spikes and low voltage. Low voltage events with high amperage draw us quite common. It shuts the trailer down waits till condition resolves and turns trailer back on.

It protected the- trailer when lightning hit the transformer and damaged $8k in other items.

It indicated a "negative netural" or lost neutral. A condition that can put power to ground.....and charge them skin of the trailer.

I've had cheaper surge protectors that were gone shot. When the lightning hit and surged the RV park my protector saved my trailer , but died in the process.

They are worth the investment.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Great recommendations here for high quality surge protectors. However, since they are so expensive, has there been reported problems of theft?
Enter the value of owning a "pitbull", also tied to the power post! Just kidding, many folks lock them to their post. I have never had an issue with theft with my surge protector, but guess it could happen. I don't have the most expensive state of the art model out there, so not that concerned....think of all the years I did not use one...till I got on the Forum!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:14 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Inside is great, until you see a situation like that described in Post #14.

Reality is that a very close or direct hit lightning strike will be unpredictable and devastating no matter what kind of surge protector you install. A million volts at several million amps is going to eat stuff…

If lightning is in the forecast, I’m totally disconnected! Even that may not save the electronics. EMP from a close hit can still fry stuff.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
very true! but at least with the SP outside you have a “chance” [emoji6]
Old 04-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Wry grin. At my age, I need to reduce the chance of forgetting to connect or retrieve a portable surge protector. I’m more likely nowadays to have a brain fart than experience a lightning strike…even with checklists!
Old 04-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #34
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
We've never had a problem with ours being snatched, and we only have locked it a couple of times when we were warned about campsite thefts in the area.

Usually I use a length of flat webbing strap to hold the plug end tight into the receptacle, as my concern is more about it working out and not being fully plugged in than I am about theft. Maybe that has helped us not have ours walk away, as it would take a few minutes to unwrap and untie it.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Lots of great advise listed here!

We went with a hard wired 50A version of WatchDog for several reasons;
  1. Unlike Progressive's unit, if it takes a lightning strike that portion can be quickly replaced without using the entire unit (we bought a spare)
  2. The phone app is worth it's weight in gold! Several times it's alerted us to issues (low voltage, open ground) before damage could occur (or it just wouldn't allow the connection)
  3. On our FB-28, it's conveniently hardwired on the driver side, directly under the hall closet (easy access), but the fuse panel is on the curb side. (That big of an arc would have bigger issues than we can address! LOL)
  4. One less issue to worry about on "camp ground shopping" or leaving it behind!
  5. Also, less of a concern with rain exposure

But ANY protection is better than no protection at all!!!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:49 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Took our maiden voyage the past 2 days and happy to report no bad experiences (electrical or otherwise). I ended up going with the Hughes Autoformers PWD-50-EPO for the following:
  1. Monitors a broad spectrum of electrical conditions (consistent with the other brands)
  2. App for smartphone for remote monitoring
  3. 6,100 joules of protection
  4. replaceable surge modules
  5. automatic shutdown for spike/sag conditions

Despite the horror story described in post #14, I think I'd eventually like to hardwire (a deterrent for theft and forgetfulness), but that'll have to be a future upgrade.

Interesting side note... the service tech at the dealership who provided the demo when I picked up the TT said I don't need to use a surge protector because the cable they provide has built-in surge protection. Thoughts?
M3771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Since on my strike the plug was welded into the pedestal and had to remove the plug from the pedestal and the cable between surge protector and the pedestal was fried that event going to take place at you receptacle at the RV end. Couple of the pedestals had the entire front panel was blown out. Several pull behinds had their cords welded into the receptacle on the RV. With a metal skin I want the the surge stopped at the pole.

If I was ever put in a internal I would still run a surge protector on the pole and trying not to have that surge being inside my RV. Matter of fact that might be the best solution to protect both ends.

Unplugging from the pedestal is good information except we were 40 miles away and it was a popup storm.

I connected the Progressive to the cord and when I unplug the progressive from the pole and leaving it attached to the power cord. If forget the Progressive I would also forgot my power cord. I also got a 15 foot cord and find that I can use it the majority of the time without bring out the heavy cord.

I don't think there is any surge protector that could survived few thousand volts with just a board replacement. I saw the burn marks on the outside of my Progressive heavily insulated case. I have the older model with the black case that probably 3/8 inch thick.

I have seen probably half dozen serious strikes in RV parks and couple in our neighbor where we live including a house fire. Maybe its midwest thing.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3771 View Post
Took our maiden voyage the past 2 days and happy to report no bad experiences (electrical or otherwise). I ended up going with the Hughes Autoformers PWD-50-EPO for the following:
  1. Monitors a broad spectrum of electrical conditions (consistent with the other brands)
  2. App for smartphone for remote monitoring
  3. 6,100 joules of protection
  4. replaceable surge modules
  5. automatic shutdown for spike/sag conditions

Despite the horror story described in post #14, I think I'd eventually like to hardwire (a deterrent for theft and forgetfulness), but that'll have to be a future upgrade.

Interesting side note... the service tech at the dealership who provided the demo when I picked up the TT said I don't need to use a surge protector because the cable they provide has built-in surge protection. Thoughts?
That would be great, if true...but would be good to know more about what it is rated for and how it works for surge protection? Theft of surge protectors is not something common in my experience; now, portable generators and electric bikes is a different story!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That would be great, if true...but would be good to know more about what it is rated for and how it works for surge protection? Theft of surge protectors is not something common in my experience; now, portable generators and electric bikes is a different story!
This is what it says on Amazon "4,800 Joules of Advanced Surge Protection" which is higher than my Progressive at 3580 Joules. I heard lot good things about the Hughes line of products including the Autoformer. If I was going to replace my Progressive it would a Hughes.

https://www.amazon.com/Hughes-Autofo...71&sr=8-2&th=1
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
We've never had a problem with ours being snatched, and we only have locked it a couple of times when we were warned about campsite thefts in the area.

Usually I use a length of flat webbing strap to hold the plug end tight into the receptacle, as my concern is more about it working out and not being fully plugged in than I am about theft. Maybe that has helped us not have ours walk away, as it would take a few minutes to unwrap and untie it.
Have been using the Hughes Watchdog for about a month. Regarding the theft issue, it seems like a key step to put some gorilla tape over the extremely bright lighted up dog face icon. (as well as campground etiquette). I have a lock going through the ring, but most pedestals don't have a spot to loop it through. And because of the weight of the unit combined with older outlets that have "play," you can't have the lock pulling down at all.
wayne b is offline   Reply With Quote