Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
surge protector question

Looking at buying a Progressive surge protector most likely a 30amp model. I have a question that may seem silly. I have stayed at campsites where there was only 50amp service and I had to use a 30amp to 50amp adapter. Would plugging into a 50amp service damage a 30amp surge protector and/or would a 50amp surge unit properly protect if plugged into a 30amp service. Thank you in advance for any ad information offered...
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
Looking at buying a Progressive surge protector most likely a 30amp model. I have a question that may seem silly. I have stayed at campsites where there was only 50amp service and I had to use a 30amp to 50amp adapter. Would plugging into a 50amp service damage a 30amp surge protector and/or would a 50amp surge unit properly protect if plugged into a 30amp service. Thank you in advance for any ad information offered...

Use the 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone and plug your 30 amp surge protector into that. 50 amp surge protector will cost more and is not what it sounds like your trailer needs.

Dogbone will only allow one of the 120v legs on the 50 amp service to carry through.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no value in having a 50A protector if you have a 30A trailer. In fact, it will check for some things (and lock out) that do not matter at all to you. The 30A device is smaller and cheaper. Go with the 30A gizmo and spend the money you save on something more fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Thanks for the info!! Of course this leads to the question of hardwired vs. portable SP. While I have never had anything stolen from my campsite, a hardwired unit might be one less item to be bounced around the TV or AS. They appear simple enough to wire in. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of either type of SP would be appreciated...
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
agree, get the 30A, the 50A will do nothing more for your unit except take space and money from you

remember that the chord is still 30 A, as well as the internal CB

i have the 30A and it works and stated
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The most common arguments against hardwired:

1) Fire in the event of a lightning strike

2) Better protection by having the protector at the box

Both sound like nonsense to me. Despite that I went with the external. When I get the time I'll do some research on fires caused by hardwired surge protectors.

Bob
Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The most common arguments against hardwired:

1) Fire in the event of a lightning strike

Bob

My suggestion, call surge devices mfgr tech support and ask this question. Their product was designed to protect and while all possible scenarios are difficult to protect against I bet they did their due diligence and can answer.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
My suggestion, call surge devices mfgr tech support and ask this question. Their product was designed to protect and while all possible scenarios are difficult to protect against I bet they did their due diligence and can answer.
Hi

I can indeed show you examples of MOV's going "thermal". If you put enough energy into them that's what they do. It's simply a matter of how much energy it takes. There is always a rating on the protector. Hit it with a lot more than that and you have a problem. Since lightning is not something you can control, you *might* get a surge above what the device is rated for. If the hit is in the local area, there is not much else that is going to limit it. Breakers and the like are not going to do much before the surge passes through. They just don't work fast enough. Fuses go into an arc mode so they don't help either.

Bob
Old 06-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

I reviewed this thread, no explanation of MOV previously posted. What is a MOV?

And you stated the hardwired bursting into flames and added "Both sound like nonsense to me."

I'm just suggesting getting the manufacturers two cents worth to add their expertise to this discussion.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
A damaging lightening strike will fry wires from the pedestal to the hard wired surge protector, where ever it is mounted inside your rig. Your internal wiring will need repair to some extant to get it powered up again.
The plugin version will tend to save everything from the surge protector to the coach, damage stops at the pedestal. Just easier to steal.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob,

I reviewed this thread, no explanation of MOV previously posted. What is a MOV?

And you stated the hardwired bursting into flames and added "Both sound like nonsense to me."

I'm just suggesting getting the manufacturers two cents worth to add their expertise to this discussion.

Gary
Hi

MOV = Metal Oxide Varistor, it's the basic component that any modern power line surge suppressor uses to absorb most of a surge. The MOV has a non-linear voltage / current characteristic. They pull very little current up to some specified voltage and then start pulling more and more as the voltage increases. The manufacturer may have other items in the suppressor, but the MOV's do the heavy lifting. They are a "limited cycle count" sort of device. If you hit them enough times with enough energy they fail. The only way I have personally seen this happen is for them to split in half. That has happened to me on a number of suppressors over the years. There are documented cases of them failing as a short. It is very unclear how common that is. Also RV's may be subject to somewhat different conditions than the typical electrical installation ...

Bob