Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Braunfels , Texas
Surge protector is bad

Jtom
1 Rivet Member
Surge protector
I have a 2019 Flying Cloud that we got in January 2020. Bought a surge PI Ems 50 watt surge protector. We immediately started havIng problems with one of our ACs and microwave tripping the breaker. We took it in the Airstream Dealer and they checked everything without the surge protector and they work. They tried the surge protector and the AC and the microwave flipped the breaker and fried the microwave....the dealer said the surge protector was causing surge, thus flipping the break and frying the microwave. I can understand a surge p, not functioning, but how can it cause surges? Just trying to figure this out. I’m Progressive Industries about a refund or exchange....any guidance would be helpful...thanks
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you're trying to run your trailer with a 50 watt surge protector, that's probably the issue. 50 watts is barely enough to run a few light bulbs, and maybe a laptop charger.
Are you sure it's only 50 watts?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I think that's a typo.

i assume he meant 50A
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have a 30 amp PI EMS unit which was damaged by a power surge. I found the customer support at PI to be very knowledgeable and focused on solving my problem. A new unit was shipped to me while on the road. Problem solved.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
A poorly functioning surge protector could cause low voltage on the branch circuits leading to issues you describe. You could verify low voltage or trust the tech and go for a warrantee replacement.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Are you plugged into shore power at home, or has it happened at a specific park or multiple?

There may be a problem at the source in which you are plugged into that is causing the 50 amp protector issues.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's possible for *any* piece of gear to be bad / go bad. If indeed you have a Progressive Industries 50A EMS, they have a good warranty on them. Give them a call and see how it goes.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Progressive Industries EMS have very good support and warrantees.

give them a call, and they will likely send you a new one at no charge
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
OP said: "They tried the surge protector and the AC and the microwave flipped the breaker and fried the microwave....the dealer said the surge protector was causing surge, thus flipping the break and frying the microwave."
Hard to know from the description what actually happened. Thoughts about it as described: 'Surge' and 'Fried' need definitions. How would a surge protector create a spike in voltage (surge) or disturbance to the waveform? Fried suggests the result of a surge. The protector clamps high voltage and diverts it to ground which is to the breaker an overcurrent condition and causes it to trip. The speed (clamping) of the surge by the protector can be slower than the spike in voltage and damage both a sensitive device like a microwave circuit board and the protector itself. Could be there was a surge? Do the techs know and understand the inner workings of the parts they determine are bad and replace? Low voltage will most likely cause harm to an electric motor. If voltage drops then current rises as the rotor slows and heat rises in the motor windings leading to damage.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
Years ago when I first purchased a home computer they recommended a surge protector with battery backup that a computer should be turned off properly so I had that also.
While using the surge protector the protector would shut down often without warning. Not good at all.
I have not used one since and have never had an issue with electronics tearing up because of a surge. They usually tear up from cheap components.
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have had good warranty service from Southwire/"Surge Gaurd" protectors. They gladly replaced mine after a strike with the latest model.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote