Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Stowaway

We have been researching 6volt golf cart batteries as a replacement in our Argosy. Has anyone heard of or purchased one of these called a Stowaway ? They sell at Sams Club. They are 75amp with 115 reserve. Like a Trojan but lot less cost. Measure 10.83L x 7.13W x 11.19H.

We are also wondering about the compartment in our AS accomodating these batteries. We already know the tray, shelf (whatever) will NOT, but wonder if there is a way to modify and whether there is any major rewiring that must be done. Anyone got clues? Been that route? Let me know. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Leigh,
The Trojans really are the way to go. They last muuch longer and cycle deeper than any other that I have heard of. Most solar suppliers recommend them and they are available most everywhere. My guess is that they would last longer than the Sam's club product and be cheaper in the end.

I put two of them into a Blue Sea battery box on the tongue of my A/S between the propane and the coach. The box is specifically designed for two 6V deep cycle batteries and is really well made. They work great and give a reserve that lasts for days, with four people.
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Check out this thread in the 1999 Safri forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=482
Old 02-05-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The compartments in my trailer are for Group 27 batteries and not tall enough for T-105s. You'll just have to measure yours.

Yes, there will be some rewiring because the 12V batteries are in parallel and the 6V batteries must be in series.

Wiring batteries in series doubles the voltage, but not the current so the amp-hour capacity stays the same. Wiring batteries in parallel does NOT double the voltage, but DOES double the current so the amp-hours doubles.

Battery output drops significantly with cold temperatures, so if you can keep them in the internal compartments where they are warmer, you're better off. This is even more important if you are running the furnace rather than a cat heater in cold weather. Not everyone has internal compartments, though, and batteries on the tongue is the only choice.

If you have to put the batteries out on the tongue, at least the T-105s have a smaller base, which is important with limited space on the tongue. They make up for that in height.

Two Trojan 12V 27TMH at 115AH over 20 hours, in parallel (230AH) give slightly more AH than two Trojan 6V T-105 at 225AH over 20 hours in series. Two warmer 27THM will give even more AH than two cold T-105s.

Hope this helps,
Old 02-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Jacebeck We are looking into the Trojan batteries as well. Good to hear a review from you. May I ask, where did you get the blue sea battery box that fits the 6 volts? If we have to go the route of putting the batteries out, sounds like we would need to have something like it. Does it help with the temperature? As was pointed out the cold can be a factor.

RoadKingMoe Thanks for the info on your battery compartment and wiring. Sounds like the battery compartment itself won't accomodate as opposed to just the tray that the batteries sit on inside (Yes??). Our trailer is about 2 hours away from us this winter. We might be able to call and ask our friends to measure the compartment...

Do any of you ARGOSY owners know the measurements of your battery compartments? So much to learn, so little time. Leigh

PSJacebeck Just read the thread you posted here and it answered many questions. Thanks. Sounds like you went through much of what we are just getting to!

PSS Did Jerry Sullivanever post pictures of the modification with the battery box outside?
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Leigh,
Check out Trojans' website as well. Not sure of the address but a Google search will find it. I don't believe I ever saw Jerry's photos and my trailer is in dead storage until May, so I can't get to it until then.
Jace
Old 02-05-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Leigh, I don't have a tray. Just two compartments with drop down doors, just inside of the rock guards on the front of the trailer. Sounds like yours is different.

The Blue Sea battery boxes are available at West Marine.