Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
If you do end up with a cord spool, be aware that you should still unspool the electrical cord when using. Otherwise the concentration of the electricity can cause problems. Same goes for using extension cords too.

We use clear plastic bins with lids for our cords. 1 for the electric cord, 1 for the surge protector, 1 for the drinking water hose, and 1 for the dump elbow and rinse hose. These all fit in one of the outside side storage lockers. Our experienced RV friend recommended getting individual containers with lids so that if you have to set up or break camp in the pouring rain it is a bit easier to manage.

Below is info on the cord safety.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KM1pL-FZ67Xafp
Hi

Utter nonsense.

The field in a coil like that is *never* going to bother anything. This is right up there with "electric blankets will kill you due to the electric field". If anything the electric blanket is a bigger deal since the current in an extension cord is balanced (and thus no field).

Heat wise, your RV isn't going to grossly overload the cable (there *is* a properly rated breaker / proper gauge wire) un-like the case of ones shown in the pictures.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Utter nonsense.

The field in a coil like that is *never* going to bother anything. This is right up there with "electric blankets will kill you due to the electric field". If anything the electric blanket is a bigger deal since the current in an extension cord is balanced (and thus no field).

Heat wise, your RV isn't going to grossly overload the cable (there *is* a properly rated breaker / proper gauge wire) un-like the case of ones shown in the pictures.

Bob

I have had a 30A cord melt into a circular blob ( not a bob..) on a MH running the AC on a really hot day. I was so proud of my tight coil all bungeed up, it would make a sailor proud. The ends were fine but the tight bundle went into a thermo runaway melt down. I guess I could have made a Christmas wreath.
Now I'm older, wiser...well actually just lazier... so I just flop it onto the ground so ants can crawl up it into the camper.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Its not about the electrical field or anything like that.

The root cause of the problem is that insulation in a cable is rated for a certain temperature rise under rated load. It's only capable of this if it is cool enough, well BELOW the rated temperature.

If the cable is spread out, it can dissipate the normal heat properly. In a nice tight coil, heat builds up rapidly. Add a heavy load on the system, a slightly low voltage, and thermal runaway/fire is not far behind.

Somewhere out there is a video of someone's camper plugged into a 120 volt outlet with a long standard light-duty extension cord, with a duplex to 50-amp adapter plugged into the crappy extension cord, then to his big trailer. The video shows the (partially coiled) extension cord rapidly melting and throwing lots of sparks and flames when someone probably cut on the AC in the trailer. An extreme example of what can happen when a cable is overloaded, and thermal runaway/fire ensues.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Good suggestions
Instead of Velcro I use Gear Ties. They are essentially large rubberized twist ties. They wear well, come in various sizes and colors, and seem to be indistructable. I coil the cables and secure them with the Gear Tie. They have many uses around camp. Such as making a hook to hang a lantern from a tree etc.
Home Depot is the cheapest I have found them so far. Also found at outdoor stores like REI or Amazon.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
We also use gear ties in varies sizes for our hoses and cables. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize...K-31/203210990
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
I'm liking these Wrap It Heavy-Duty Storage Straps. They're available in various sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6VG9YY/
brainwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #27

Cedar Park , TX
I love the Nite Ize Gear Straps. I use them inside and outside of my trailer. They are long lasting and secure items sell. Work very well with cords and hoses.

These are available at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and camping stores.

See them on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Gear.../dp/B00XIWJXKK. This image shows a variety pack but you can also buy packages of just larger sizes if you want.
MarilynMarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Great suggestions. Thanks for the conversation:}
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
I use a Bucket Boss Cable Bag. One for the power cord, and one for the fresh water hose. They work great.

Got them through Amazon.
Smith1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:24 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
Good suggestions
Instead of Velcro I use Gear Ties. They are essentially large rubberized twist ties. They wear well, come in various sizes and colors, and seem to be indistructable. I coil the cables and secure them with the Gear Tie. They have many uses around camp.
Gear Ties — great idea!

I think I have a couple lying around that I can try out.

Lots of good ideas on this thread. Glad I asked.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote