Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
Storage box for Honda 2200 and BBQ tank

I am new to Airstream. I am purchasing the Honda e2200i converted to propane (I tow with a SUV). I did not want to carry gas can in SUV or Trailer. I was wondering what folks use to store/carry a combo of BBQ 20gal tank with Honda generator? I think I would stash in the trailer bathroom during travel. But need to study it. Has anyone found a solution?
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Storage box for Honda 2200 and BBQ tank

I adapted the generator propane hose setup to connect to my OEM regulator on the A-frame. Had to bypass the small (high pressure) regulator that goes to a tank directly, and rigged up a connection to the larger (low pressure) regulator that feeds directly to the generator. You may be able to do something similar. That way the propane tanks on the Airstream carry all the fuel.

I have a Champion 3500 watt dual fuel inverter generator. Browse the “which generator” thread for the details of the changes and plumbing I did to make the change. It works great.

Since I run my generator only on propane I can carry it anywhere without worrying about fuel odors. Mine rides just inside the Airstream door tied down or in my pickup truck bed. I can run it while it is on the truck as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Why not store the gen in the bathroom, well secured/padded for towing, and leave the 20-gallon propane tank at home? Your trailer has plenty of propane on board, and a quick-connect propane port at the front. Folks use this port for BBQ grills and gens all the time. We have a propane-fired Yamaha 1,000 watt gen [just enough for charging the batteries and running the fridge on 120], which can be used on the campsite away from the trailer by using an "extension cord" setup for the propane supply hose.

Since your gen is propane-fired, there is no dangerous gasoline residue in the trailer. We have room in the tow vehicle for our gen, but would put it in the trailer bathroom if not.

The search function in the blue box above works great on the desktop version of this site [not on the AF APP apparently IMO], and here some search results FYI:

"Generator store in trailer:" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=gene...=airforums.com
Recent thread -- see Post #7: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ge-207514.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
low pressure propane hook up

The propane Honda conversion I ordered from Genconnex. I was not sure it could run off a low pressure outlet. If it can, problem solved. I looked closely at the dual fuel 3000w generators but all wieghed about 100lbs. At 73 with a tricky back, I can see myself struggling to lift his out of the trailer, or my SUV.

So, does anyone know if the Genconnex modified Honda can run on low pressure propane. I will give them a call.

E
Old 05-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Glen Allen , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead1984 View Post
The propane Honda conversion I ordered from Genconnex. I was not sure it could run off a low pressure outlet. If it can, problem solved. I looked closely at the dual fuel 3000w generators but all wieghed about 100lbs. At 73 with a tricky back, I can see myself struggling to lift his out of the trailer, or my SUV.

So, does anyone know if the Genconnex modified Honda can run on low pressure propane. I will give them a call.

E
I does. All I carry is the generator and the hose. I just got an action packet to put it in as well. It’s a little too tall with the security handle on the generator so I melted the lid a little with a heat gun to get the lid to close.
Vapilotda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:

E
I just did this exact thing. It works, but you need the right hose from Genconnex. There is a different hose for the 20lb tank. I thought I was going to bring an extra 20lb tank with us, but after looking on this site, I decided that it was not necessary nor safe enough.

As for storage, I bought a Rubbermaid Action Packer and mutilated the lid to make the generator fit. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ge-207514.html
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
So, does anyone know if the Genconnex modified Honda can run on low pressure propane.
. . .
Yes, plenty of threads/posts on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Genc...=airforums.com

. . . using the previously mentioned search box above, which simply adds the search term "site:airforums.com" to a standard Google search BTW.

The BBQ tank/hose you were thinking of bringing has it own regulator which produces basically the same low-pressure gas supply.

Apples . . . apples . . .

Peter
Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
got it!

Sometimes I feel so dumb. I emailed them and they replaced the hose, and already in shipping. Thank everyone for the advice, information, a links to information. I think I am going to lean on this Forum quite a lot as I get moving with my AS.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We run a Champion 3500 watt dual fuel inverter generator / propane only like rmkrum. For us (at 75) both the boss and I can easily handle moving it from ground to back of truck. The genny lives in the truck all summer, runs in the truck - no problems. Since we use 360 watts of solar the genny is there as back-up (mostly)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Storage box

I have a 2012 Eddie Bauer 25’
I put the Honda 2200 on the A frame behind the propane tanks
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I run a high pressure grill off of the onboard propane by using a splitter off of the bottle upstream of the trailer regulator. The grill has its own regulator I purchased the splitter, quick connect hoses etc. inexpensively from amazon.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
I have a 2012 Eddie Bauer 25’
I put the Honda 2200 on the A frame behind the propane tanks
Have you confirmed that the added weight in that location conforms to your trailer's specs, and those of your tow vehicle and hitch, for gross hitch weight?

Peter
Old 05-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Sometimes I feel so dumb. I emailed them and they replaced the hose, and already in shipping. Thank everyone for the advice, information, a links to information. I think I am going to lean on this Forum quite a lot as I get moving with my AS.
You still might want to get the hose and regulator you were going to use with the 20-gallon propane tank. Your Honda 2200 is also a great backup generator, to have at home, for emergencies like storms, tornadoes, power outages, hurricanes, ice storms etc.. Those tanks are fairly ubiquitous in our society, so if you need to help out your family, or a friend, usually you can just take the Honda 2200 to them, and use their tank.

Redundancy is a good thing.

Peter

PS -- No need to feel dumb . . . there is a lot to learn as you hit the road on this new adventure.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
To simplify, the set up I use is: Tee off the propane tank(s) regulator low pressure outlet to a quick connect then to the supply hose for the genny. The supply hose should quick connenct to feed the genny low-pressure (14" water column) regulator. The genny will use about 10,000 BTUs/ HP., i.e., a 3,000watt genny willy use 60,000 BTUs.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
I am going to start with the low pressure set up and run off of the propane bottles on the trailer. I thought about a separate BBQ tank for the generator, and also can use for more types of bbq grills. I am feeling my way as I go. Reading a lot.
I have not sent the check as yet, but am about to do so.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #16
Need to use it more...

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Storing generator

Check out Peter’s comment. Depending on where I’m the trailer you store it you could be changing tongue weight and might need to do some compensating. Safest thing store it as far forward as possible since reducing tongue weight is a formula for sway and possible disaster.
ChuckieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
managing tongue weight

If you want to manage tongue weight concider reducing the battery weight of the lead acid batteries by switching to a single BattleBorn 100AH LiFePO4. This provides the equivalent stored power. The weight reduction is ~66#and is maintenance free. You can comfortably add the Honda 2200i generator to the top of the battery box. Your center of gravity will be a slightly higher. Make sure you secure that baby or it will walk. I haven't done this yet, and I would not run the generator attached to the tongue due to vibration and proximity to the window.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #18
'Ashling' Globetrotter 27

2019 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Oakville , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Brian Barry
We have the Honda e2200i converted to propane from Genconnex and got from CanAm, our dealer to attach behind the gas tanks and fits there perfectly. They fit a plate to the base of generator and it attaches to a plate that has been bolted to the frame behind gas tanks. You can also lock it. it fits great and we got a no name cover for it to make it less conspicuous. The only down side is that you have to detach it if you want to get access to the front compartment. We store items like the additional cushions etc that we rarely use in that compartment and did not have to remove once last season! We have the generator connected to the gas and updated to 2 by 40 lbs cylinders and have never any problems! Highly recommend it!

Best regards
Brian Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
Sounds really Convenient do you have a picture of what can am built for you. Thank you.
fbgairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
Just what I did. I am going to look at one of the Rubbermaid locable bins, and put the gen, hoses, and extra things I need. When we stop, I can put in SUV if need be. I have a pretty hefty tongue weight, so need to think about where I place it. Alternative is bathroom with something to wedge it so it does not slide.