Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Stop and Run signal monitor

Hello:

My 1979 Safari 23' has this small monitor on the street side.
Apparently, the driver can check all the rear lights functions by this monitor by just looking through the side mirror od the pulling vehicle cab.
Has anyone change this devise? it has a plastic housing that with time has become very brittle, I probably need just the housing.
I called VTS and they didn't know what I was talking about.
Many thanks,
Rupert
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
It's the termination of a fiber optic cable that, when illuminated, lets you know that your rear turn signals are working. The housing for it is here:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...p/vts-1080.htm
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertJ View Post
Hello:

My 1979 Safari 23' has this small monitor on the street side.
Apparently, the driver can check all the rear lights functions by this monitor by just looking through the side mirror od the pulling vehicle cab.
Has anyone change this devise? it has a plastic housing that with time has become very brittle, I probably need just the housing.
I called VTS and they didn't know what I was talking about.
Many thanks,
Rupert
Youngpeck got you the source.
They only show the brake lights working or not. There are little lenses in the brake lights that point at the bulbs. When the bulbs light up the lens collects light, sends it down a plastic fiber optic cable to small plastic caps at the end in that housing. Sometimes they are a bit weathered on the side of the trailer so not much light gets through. Worth trying to save for originality though.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Usually not hard to repair and quite handy when working. If you put on your flashers, they should both flash, same brake light. Just a quick test in fact your flashers really check every thing if you have somebody back there when you test them.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thank you all; problem solved!!
Specially to Youngpeck for the source.
Believe it or not I place an order with VTS this AM and did my best to describe the part (housing) that I needed, for the Fiber Optic Monitor, gave the AS model and year to the person on the phone to no avail; he told me there was not such a thing.
I am so glad that I did not give up!!
Thanks again to you all.
Airforums rocks!!!

Rupert
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Rupert, VTS is great. They usually know what you need. (I ordered one of these myself last fall.) I do find that it helps (and they appreciate) if I can tell them the part number as I'm ordering on the phone, having found it in their on-line catalog.

Thanks to the rest of you. I meant to say brake lights. By the way, when we recently upgraded our home phone service to fiber optic, and I asked the technician about the "old" cable in our trailer. He said it should last forever. And found it very interesting that a trailer manufacturer would have used it back in the '70s.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote